• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Paul's '91 Sport

fordpickupman

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cascade, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
71 F250 Fummins
That Navajo is minty fresh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
So not keeping it Mazda....😥. Navajos are a dying breed.

Just take the front end and tail lights and set them aside. These parts are getting super scarce.

I just wanted to keep mine Mazda, because it's different, and people will say..."That thing is cool! What is it? 🤷‍♂️". Besides can't argue with Motor Trend Truck of the Year for 1991 😜

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
No Mazda parts will be harmed during this procedure. . . Yep, going FoMoCo - - its a pre-condition in order to work up at Kevin's shop. . .kinda. Will set aside all the Mazda stuff - - know you've got a stash already.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
There's a Navajo collecting dust in a driveway a mile from here. Been tempted to just go knock on the door and ask them. But my wife would kill me if I brought another car home.

Screenshot_20200506-213827_Maps.jpg

410Fortune

Flood Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
you can store them here so she doesnt know :)

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Gotta admit, there are some "styling cues" in the Navajo that I like. . . Like the brown and tan interior, instead of all red, blue, or tan; the two-tone seat fabric (plus lumbar), etc. . . Some upgrades may be due to my experience with the '91 and not really being aware of upgrades by model year through '94, but for the Explorer don't think there was much (other than adding a second cupholder. . .)

But in the end, I bleed Ford Blue - - with the exception of this vehicle, every vehicle (less motorcycles) I've purchased since 1990 have been F-O-R-D: '65 Falcon, '91 Explorer, '01 Mustang GT, '11 Ranger FTX4, '17 Escape . . .

As for "more" vehicles and off-site storage - - believe me, I get it. . . But learned the hard way on that score. . .

Paul

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Working on some other non-vehicle projects, but got a chance to "clean" out the new rig. . . Literally, like going back 20 years - - knew it was clean and well maintained, but you'd swear this thing is only a few years old. . . Not 26. . . I kept my Sport pretty clean, but after 25 years of ownership and 200,000 miles, (not to mention the wheeling), it had plenty of scuffs, cracked interior pieces, etc. No so with this one. . .

Rear cargo area:
Cargo Area (MAY 20).jpg

WIth cargo area net - - sun roof cover and FAK beneath.

Plan was to just swap in the Corbeau seats I had in the Sport,
Seats (MAR 20).jpg

. . . but may just have the OEM seats "refreshed" with some additional support foam (and maybe heat) . . . Then the Corbeaus to the Ranger (already match that interior color).

Here's the passenger side - - note the leg extension, plus electric lumbar and bolster.
Passenger Seat (MAY 20).jpg

. . . and yes, that's the cassette caddy from the center armrest, talk about "time travel" - - Yeesh. Enjoying the project so far.

Paul

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Clean Machine Mang!

Those seats are pretty much the same as the stockers in my 95. I had no idea they was available in a 1st gen! Bad Arse set of stock seats.

The lumber & bolster are actually bladder bags, and use one small air pump mounted underneath the seat. I rebuilt my drivers a couple times. It's the spring clips, and wire ends that give out, and the wires cut into the seat foam over time. Foam is an easy fix, but clips and wires aren't. These seats are not easy to take apart at all! If you take them in, get a set price, not a Time & Material charge. Hourly rate will eat your lunch! LOL!

Protected them with a set of Cabella's Molle back waterproof covers. They work pretty dang good on the trails, and are comfortable on long trips too.

410Fortune

Flood Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
I love that interior, way better fabric on the seats then the Ford versions...very pretty truck
I still have my cassette holder too LOL
The suroof bag is nice to have, not many of those around anymore
This Navajo was worth the price!!!

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Those seats are pretty much the same as the stockers in my 95. I had no idea they was available in a 1st gen! These seats are not easy to take apart at all! If you take them in, get a set price, not a Time & Material charge. Hourly rate will eat your lunch! LOL!
Thanks for the tip Gregg, fixed quote is the way to go. . . To my knowledge, first gens with the "leg extension" thingee only included the "Limited" and 'some' of the Eddie Bauer versions. The Navajo options were "LX" and "DX", this one is the "LX", but I don't know if that is the lesser or greater of the option packages - - seems to have all the usual goodies, though. . ..

Paul

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
My Navajo had these seats as well, but they were destroyed, So I swapped out for some other 1st gen for now. I will add suspension seat at a later time. I could steal a set from JP's back seat but they don't recline, are red, and I don't know if I would buy them again for my height.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
The front extension is a Knee bolster. It's for people with longer legs. I love mine, and use them. My seats have the same material as yours do, and are great in the colder months.

If you have ever sat in a Toyota anything, you know that those seats are made for short people. They end mid thigh for taller people, and can cause blood clots after extended periods of sitting. I can't stand a Toyota seat. Taking the FJ all the way to Moab, about wrecked me with them short people seats. lol

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
The front extension is a Knee bolster. It's for people with longer legs. If you have ever sat in a Toyota anything, you know that those seats are made for short people. lol
I resemble that comment. . . , and would have thought these seats would be wasted on me (built low to the ground), but I spent a few hours in the rig today going back and forth to Kevin's shop, and these things are GREAT! ! ! Even for me!

Wow that Navajo is clean, nice find! Looking forward to the (re)build!
Thanks Brian, working on a 'BrianBuilt' parts list for this project, and if you're toying with the idea of a swapping the Twin's TTB for SAS, I'm your guy to "adopt" that D44 reinforced axle. . .

So, the first phase for the project was Drivability. Rig steers straight, doesn't leak, etc. but the gas gauge was inop, so went up to Kevin's (DiffWhack) to drop the tank and install a new fuel sender assembly. Took the opportunity to install a new fuel filter as well. Strangely, no pictures taken, but pretty simple job.

Next was swapping out the side vent windows. Full history for the vehicle is unknown, but for as clean a rig as this one is, the driver side vent window had rust on the hinge piece and the paint on the inside was peeling and looked like crap. Luckily, we pulled all the windows off my Sport before it went to the yard. We swapped the one, and then remembered that I had them tinted about a dozen years ago - - so then swapped the passenger as well.

Then we did this:
Ford Grill.1 (MAY 20).jpg

"Purists be damned"

Couple more:
Grill Light (MAY 20).jpg

Backside:
Rear Hatch.2 (MAY 20).jpg

And hey, I just didn't have a "NavajoForum.com" window sticker . . .
Forum (MAY 20).jpg

Wheel dreams . . .
Wheel Wish (MAY 20).jpg

Wheelset off my Sport, as well as the tinted vent windows. . .

Good day wrenching,

Paul

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Ordered some parts for repairing the OEM driver and passenger seats - - thigh bolster foam from Corbeau, a close match in fabric form eBay, and heat inserts from Amazon, so while waiting on that stuff to get in, did a bit of refresh on bumpers.

Work in progress:
Bumpers.1 (MAY 20).jpg

Probably not worth the effort, but sprayed some adhesion promoter and then hit the plastics with a coat of spray paint,
Bumper Valences (MAY 20).jpg

Since I went to Ford headlight buckets combined with turn signals, I removed the lower turn signals. Concerned that the lower bumper valance may be lacking support without the turn signals, fabbed up a couple of pieces of expanded steel I had to help bear the load.
Bumper Support (MAY 20).jpg

Lastly, mounted the CB (no antenna yet, not powered yet either) . . .
CB (MAY 20).jpg

Paul

410Fortune

Flood Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
this thing is gonna be so sharp!!

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Thanks - - Got some parts today for the seat refresh. . .
Seat Fabric (MAY 20).jpg

Figured that'd be close enough to the darker fabric on the side bolsters - - a bit of Moab dust will help even it out. . .

Then foam arrived. . .
Seat Foam-Fabric (MAY 20) (2).jpg

Got four pieces of foam for the driver and passenger seat thigh bolsters - - now just waiting on the heat.

Paul

410Fortune

Flood Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
omg I totally missed the ford emblems and explorer badging in the earlier pics...........You are a sick and twisted individual! Its a Mazda!! Isn't it? LOL

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
I totally missed the ford emblems and explorer badging...........You are a sick and twisted individual!
Ya think?
Steering Wheel (MAY 20).jpg

(interim "fix" - - might swap the steering wheel to FoMoCo in the future). . .

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
9 95PGTTechs 2017 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 1
Starkman Starkman's 1998 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 8
M My 1999 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 5
mcclureautomotiv Mcclureautomotiv's 99 sport Elite Explorer Registry 23
MrQ 2001 Explorer Sport "Clear Sky" Elite Explorer Registry 7
Dauntless76 Dauntless76 Registry - Sport Trac Elite Explorer Registry 3
frankcal frankcal's 03 Sport Elite Registry Elite Explorer Registry 23
delexploder delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport Elite Explorer Registry 1
delexploder delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport Elite Explorer Registry 258
T Ol' Dallas (04 Sport Trac) Elite Explorer Registry 5
crazyflights Leftover parts, my retired racer into crawler. Sport/Chopped Elite Explorer Registry 8
R 99 V8 Sport AWD "Black Beauty" Elite Explorer Registry 116
crazyflights 1st Gen Sport, Race truck. Gutted Elite Explorer Registry 9
crazyflights My frame swapped, v8, SASd Sport, conversion. Elite Explorer Registry 28
jstancill JStancill's 05 Sport Trac Elite Explorer Registry 2
OffTrac OffTrac's 2001 Sport Trac Elite Explorer Registry 38
R Playne Jayne - Rolleye's '02 Sport Elite Thread Elite Explorer Registry 3
Varsity Varsity's 2000 Explorer Sport Elite Explorer Registry 209
ragajungle Raga's 99 Sport OHV Elite Explorer Registry 17
Keeper0311 Keeper's 2000 Sport. Elite Explorer Registry 42
XLT XLT's 98 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 14
sport97 Sport97's sport Elite Explorer Registry 367
B BrianDye's '95 Sport Registry! Elite Explorer Registry 384
crazyflights My 94 Sport Dailey driver- race car, highly modified. Elite Explorer Registry 6
J Lil Bo Peeps 2002 Sport trac.-Goldie (finally a registry) Elite Explorer Registry 9
2000StreetRod 2000 Sport Long term project vehicle Elite Explorer Registry 99
D Gregs 1998 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 4
AccordRanger AccordRanger's 99 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 61
jtb1689 JTB1689's '93 Eddie Bauer Sport Elite Explorer Registry 2
Gregg XLS Finally Elite 04 Sport Trac Elite Explorer Registry 11
vroomzoomboom supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport Elite Explorer Registry 2689
mbautodesign Lifted Sport Trac Elite Explorer Elite Explorer Registry 9
Stolle Stolle's 97 Sport Registry Elite Explorer Registry 14
dislexiclawyer Dislexiclawyer's 92 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 24
T Talk2dan's Sport Elite Registry Elite Explorer Registry 3
hunterdan Hunterdan's 98 Sport Elite Explorer Registry 87
Feonix1123 93 Explorer Sport Elite Explorer Registry 41
B 2003 Explorer Sport - briwayjones Elite Explorer Registry 0
Fredness Fredness - '05 Sport Trac Adrenalin 4x4 Elite Explorer Registry 9
DOZIER Lcpl Dozier's 2001 X Sport Elite Explorer Registry 36
2 Robbie21's 2001 Explorer Sport Elite Explorer Registry 37
SoBeLover SoBeLover's 1998 Explorer Sport Elite Explorer Registry 20
T ton_e_montana's 2002 sport Elite Explorer Registry 7