Paul's '91 Sport | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paul's '91 Sport

Three ashtrays, two doors, one cup holder, and zero Air Bags”

As it sits today. . . (December 2023)
Rig Large (DEC 23).jpg

As it sat last year. . . (2022)
Snow Sport.5 (DEC 21).jpg

Edit: From here on down was the write-up I did for my first Explorer before it was totaled in a commuting accident in March 2017. The write-up for the new (to me) Explorer that was acquired in May 2020 starts on page 2, post #31.

I am the second owner of this vehicle, purchasing it in April 1993. It has been a daily driver, crisscrossed the States multiple times, sat for a few years in storage, and now is dedicated to four-wheeling trips, camping excursions, and hauling the motorcycle to various “track days”. It is not a hard-core rig, but is set up well for the types of four-wheeling I enjoy, and has certainly seen its fair share of difficult trails. It has a number of modifications, with more planned for the future, but is by no means “Done”.

As it used to sit: (2016)
Front Oblique (P).jpg
Rear End.jpg

Here is the run-down of the modifications and when they were installed (or re-worked). . .
- Borla Headers and Cat-Back Exhaust (1995)
- James Duff Pre-Runner Front Bumper (1998)
- Bush Whacker Extend-A-Fender Flares (1998/2016)
- ARB Air Lockers, front and rear (1999/2008/2015)
- 4.10 Gears (1999)
- “SupeRancho” Hybrid Lift, approximately 4” of lift, with SOA (1999)
- 33”x 12.50 Tires (currently Toyo Mud Terrains)
- Con Ferr Roof Rack (1999)
- SuperLift SuperRunner Steering (2000)
- Ramsey REP 8000 winch in Duff Bumper (2002), Warn Synthetic Line (2016)
- Rock Sliders (2002)
- Atlas II Transfer Case (2005)
- ViAir On-Board Air Compressor (2009/2014)
- Modified ¾ Doors (2009)
- Early Bronco fabbed Rear Bumper, “extra modded” to fit the Explorer (2009)
- Rear License Plate Frenched (2009)
- Outback Solutions (ARB) Drawers with fabbed pull-out shelves (2012)
- Corbeau Heated Seats (2013)
- Internal Roll Cage (2013)
- Shelf/Box/Switches (2013-2015)
- Lights – Raptor/Fog/Roof Rack/Rear/Squatch/Interior Hatch/Hood (2013-2016)
- Dual Battery installation (2014)

I'll document most of the projects in subsequent posts with pictures and links to various threads. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Edit: End of the road in April 2020. . . Read on for the wreck and renovation/restoration/gear swap to new 'Sport'. . .
Fork (APR 20).jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got off my butt and took the Ham Technician's test - - almost all the guys I wheel with now are HAMs, so made sense to get the license. Still shopping for a radio, plan on starting with an HT, then upgrade in time to a fixed mount in the rig. . .

Did purchase a simple handheld vehicle mount (radio a loaner from Kevin), just so its one less thing lying on the seat, or the floor, etc.
Ham Mount (JAN 22).jpg

Good thing is that whatever HT I end up with I'll be able to transfer from vehicle to vehicle after I hard mount a Ham in the rig. . . Mount is "wedge" style, friction-mount between the seat cushion and console.

Paul
KK7CSO

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wired up some "spare" LEDs onto the rig. By "spare", I mean a set of Rigid Industries LEDs that I had mounted on the old Sport that have been sitting in a box since we dismantled that vehicle before it headed off to the crusher.

These lights were wired into the Conn-Ferr roof rack I had mounted to the roof:
Front New (MAY 16).jpg

Even though I opted not to add the Conn-Ferr rack to this build, wanted to add these lights to the rig because, hey, these suckers were expensive, the OEM lights (even with the Warn fog lights) don't provide much light output, and the lights were a nearly perfect fit for the void between the tubes of the front Duff bumper.

Here's the test fit:
LEDs Mounted (MAR 22).jpg

And lit:
LEDs Lit.1 (MAR 22)_LI.jpg

Now need to hard-wire the ViAir (like I had in the old rig) - - another "hold over" project that I didn't finish last year before Moab . . .

Paul

"And then there was one . . ."

. . . switch available.
Switch Panel (MAR 22).jpg

Switches Left to Right:
I = Interior Dome Light (below visor)
F = Fog Lights (Warn) on Front Bumper
L = LEDs on Front Bumper
Blank
R = Rear Back-Up Lights on Rear Bumper
A = ARB Compressor
R = Rear Air Locker
F = Front Air Locker

Switch Panel Only (MAR 22) .jpg

ViaAir Reinstall. . .

Snugged in behind the rear passenger seat, in front of the Outback drawer system. No worries, the mongosso wire ball gets sorted. . .
Compressor (MAR 22).jpg

Switch in the cargo area:
Compressor Switch (MAR 22).jpg

Hose coils up and is bagged into the storage bin under the switch:
Compressor Line (MAR 22).jpg

All tucked away - - stickers on the bottom edge of the hatch are trails that I've and (major components of) this rig have run in Moab - - last year included Kane Creek, Moab Rim, and Top of the World . . .

Hatch Up (MAR 22).jpg

Stickers Left to Right: Chicken Corners (Wife's favorite), Cliffhanger, Dome Plateau, Fins & Things, Flat Iron Mesa, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Hells' Revenge, Hey Joe Canyon, Kane Creek Canyon, Metal Masher, Moab Rim, Poison Spider, Porcupine Rim, Rose Garden Hill, Seven Mile Rim, Steel Bender, Strike Ravine, and Top of the World)

Paul

Love the stickers!! Good location for them

Do you have an air tank plumbed into the compressor? The cheapo harbor freight compressor I run looks like a knock off of the vair (of course right)
Well done as usual!

Do you have an air tank plumbed into the compressor?
Initially, yes - - I did have an air tank circa 2010, but removed it. Can't say it was really needed, don't have air tools and likely not needed now-days on the trails with the ever-improving handheld battery technology of power tools. When I had the air tank, it was mounted in the spare tire void, but that space is now home to the roto-pax fuel cell.

So, for my use, the ViAir is just there to top off the tires after a run - - and the unit I have is continuous duty rated, so it's up to the task.

Lastly, I try to be really diligent on all the "extras" I add to this rig. . . and by that I mean to balance what I "need" for the type of trails that I run versus all the doo-dads and gizmos that I could bring along, just because something might be the newest "bright and shiny thing" in the four-wheeling community. I need an air compressor and have a portable one - -but that takes up room in my drawer system, so by hardwiring this one - - that I'll need virtually anytime I go four-wheeling, I get a little more space in the drawers . . .

. . . for the next "bright and shiny thing" I can't live without. . . Wait, what?

Initially, yes - - I did have an air tank circa 2010, but removed it. Can't say it was really needed, don't have air tools and likely not needed now-days on the trails with the ever-improving handheld battery technology of power tools. When I had the air tank, it was mounted in the spare tire void, but that space is now home to the roto-pax fuel cell.

So, for my use, the ViAir is just there to top off the tires after a run - - and the unit I have is continuous duty rated, so it's up to the task.

Lastly, I try to be really diligent on all the "extras" I add to this rig. . . and by that I mean to balance what I "need" for the type of trails that I run versus all the doo-dads and gizmos that I could bring along, just because something might be the newest "bright and shiny thing" in the four-wheeling community. I need an air compressor and have a portable one - -but that takes up room in my drawer system, so by hardwiring this one - - that I'll need virtually anytime I go four-wheeling, I get a little more space in the drawers . . .

. . . for the next "bright and shiny thing" I can't live without. . . Wait, what?
I always try to weigh necessity vs nice to have vs weight for my rig. I consider a compressor a necessity. I'll admit, mine is packed with nice to have in the trail stuff.

The FJ and the bii have compressors hard wired in and no air tank, mostly just for filling tires…. So handy! I also added one of the cheapo hf units to our Polaris because there is always an atv or something back here with a low tire. When the kids hit the river in the summer it’s handy for filling tubes also. I agree with you I have a dewalt 20v impact that will rip 1350ft lbs…. I ditched the air lines and pneumatic tools in the shop too,
Much better especially for us since the shop is off grid and whole place is battery powered. Keep it simple!!

Now I’m curious about the rotopax fuel cell is it designed to go in the spare tire well? I don’t recall seeing it mentioned here in the build? Lol lol

I always try to weigh necessity vs nice to have vs weight for my rig. I consider a compressor a necessity. I'll admit, mine is packed with nice to have in the trail stuff.
Agreed. . . I'm all for self-sufficiency, realizing you can't plan for every contingency, but want to have the stuff required to "help myself" off the trail.

And now on to "Bright & Shiny". . .
Fire Can (MAR 22).jpg

Fire Can (DEC 21).jpg

Now I’m curious about the rotopax fuel cell is it designed to go in the spare tire well? I don’t recall seeing it mentioned here in the build? Lol lol
You made me dig through this entire thread - - luckily only nine pages (I'm pacing myself, LOL) - - thought I had posted this picture:
Roto-Pax Fuel (MAR 22).jpg

Another good piece of kit harvested off of Phil's (Albino94ltd) rig - - pretty simple bracket and use of the OEM spare tire cable. Snugs up tight to the underside, no wobbles. Great for the self-sufficiency aspect, without adding the work or weight to the bumper or roof.

Last bit of lighting/wiring upgrades - - at least for now. . . Realized just how limited the OEM style headlight bulbs are, so swapped them out with LED replacements. Had to modify the bezel "connector rings" to accommodate the LED housing, but overall very satisfied with results. No "before" pictures , but here you go:
LED HeadLights.1 (MAR 22).jpg

Hardly a "light show", but should be good enough. . .
LEDs All.1 (MAR 22).jpg

Paul

Something going on . . .
Headliner Panel (APR 22).jpg

Panel is very good shape for 28 years, but a few rips and separations in the headliner warranted a re-do. . .

Paul

Something going on . . .
View attachment 428761

Panel is very good shape for 28 years, but a few rips and separations in the headliner warranted a re-do. . .

Paul
going suede? or starry?:cool: or new switch mount location?

Something going on . . .
View attachment 428761

Paul

Mine is trashed. With the cage in place it has to stay that way :(

going suede? or starry?:cool: or new switch mount location?
OEM-ish, just regular beige colored headliner material. Have seen a few "Starry Night" headliner projects, pretty neat stuff, but not really my style. Perfectly satisfied with the switch panel on the visor shelf as currently configured. . .
Mine is trashed. With the cage in place it has to stay that way :(
Yep, re-did the headliner in the '91 before that cage was installed, doubtful I'll go the cage route on this one, but the rig is just so damn clean looking, want to keep it like it's just a few years old, not nearing 30.

Still waiting for summer up here, but no complaints. . . Spent a little time in the Man Cave working on some minor projects - - just busy work, but something I wanted to knock out.

Breather filters:
Breathers - Atlas & Front Diff (JUN 22).jpg

Left side for the Atlas II transfer case, right side for the front differential.

Breather - Rear (JUN 22).jpg

Rear differential, stuck in the void behind the driver's side tail light, stole the location idea from Brian1. . .

Happy Trails,

Paul

Weekend Project, not yet finished, but here's a teaser. . .
Cooler Mounted (JUN 22).jpg

. . . another good idea stolen from Brian1.

Paul

Here's approximately $132,915.00 . . .
Three Rigs (SEP 22).jpg

Two $65,000.00 new Ford Broncos - - Kevin's 2021 Sport and Mike's 2022 4-Door and my $2,915.00 1994; Mount Rainier as majestic as ever in the background. The three of us climbed Raven's Roost in nearby Naches, a difficult trail, especially when wet. These two new Broncos are pretty awesome right out of the box, both Badlands editions, with the Sasquatch package (IIRC). No issues for any of us, but I was the only one that didn't knock a control arm. . .

Dusty from the trail and smoky in the state - - looking East over the hood of the Explorer. . .

Hood Fire (SEP 22).jpg

Smoke plumes from the wildfires. . .

Paul

You sure could build a lot of 1st gens for that kind of money ;)

fresh air!! You found some!!

You sure could build a lot of 1st gens for that kind of money ;)
Hardest part now is finding a 1st Gen that isn't too thrashed out. . . Happy with mine, tho, just rolled 90,000 on the odometer - - certainly not too many of these low mileage variants around.
fresh air!! You found some!!
Not so bad for us this year on the Wet Side, just a few days, imagine it's been much hazier in your part of the world. . .

On the Road (SEP 22).jpg

That green is a pretty cool color. . .

Paul

Back