Paxton supercharger kit for 1990-1992 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paxton supercharger kit for 1990-1992 explorer

jovi

Reaction score
City, State
spruce pine north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
I am getting ready to buy a complete kit. the kit comes with all of the boost pipes, a new washer fluid reservoir, a vacuum actuated fuel pressure regulator, all of the brackets to mount the charger to the top of the a/c compressor.I have been looking for a complete kit for a long time and finally found one.Anything else I need?Im not looking for a speed demon just more hp to pull my tires.Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking about picking it up but Im looking for a roots style kit though. Wish I could have got that BBK Instacharger kit somebody on here got a few weeks ago.

Should be cool though.

For the same money you will spend on that supercharger, you can have a 5.0L, WITH TMH's!

Something to think about....

Ryan

For a 1/3 of the price you could put NOS on it!! Superchargers and turbos are just cool though!;)

....then you will spend 1000-2000 for another notoriously weak A4LD.....and it will last another 1000-2000 miles.....

Ryan

Hhhaaha true but your spend that no matter what keeping the A4ld!!

Mine is a 5 speed.I just wondered about bigger injectors,upgraded maf and maybe a new hotter profile cam.Just wanted to know form someone here that might have done this before.

When I did this on my 91 I ran the pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator at first. It was safe but wayyyyyyy too rich under boost.

I ended up doing 24# injectors and a bigger MAF and was a lot happier.

You can keep the stock cam or swap it out later. The cam upgrade will help.

When I did this on my 91 I ran the pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator at first. It was safe but wayyyyyyy too rich under boost.

I ended up doing 24# injectors and a bigger MAF and was a lot happier.

You can keep the stock cam or swap it out later. The cam upgrade will help.
I was hoping you could give me some advice on what to upgrade to since you had done this before.I just want it to be dependable when i get done.Nothing too extreme,just a good dependable set up.Thanks again

For the cam, the easiest would be compcams model 49-410-8. That will give you a nice boost without having to put in dual coil valvesprings or modify the heads. It should work well with the supercharger.

You will also need new pushrods from Smith Bros Pushrods to work with that cam. If you call them and tell them what cam you are using and what engine its going into they can send you a measuring pushrod so that you can get the length right before you order an actual set. Talk to JD4242 about the cam and pushrod stuff...he's the expert around here.

For the injectors i just used Ford Motorsports brand 24# injectors. I had a pro-M MAF that was calibrated for them. I don't know a whole lot about MAFs but you might be able to get one for a mustang and use that. Again, I would ask JD4242 about that too.

...Keep in mind that I broke 3 5-speeds within abut 2 years or so.....

And that was NA, with a bunch of mods.....about 300 ft/lbs is where that tranny starts to break in 2nd and 5th gear.

Ryan

I would be more worried about what your going to do for a tune

I would be more worried about what your going to do for a tune

That was going to be my next question where to get a tune.

You cant!!there is only one guy that can tune it and you have to go to him.stand alone units are the only way.i would call your local tune shop and ask them witch unit they deal and recommend.im going megasquirt

Thats the problem no local tune shop around here.Thats why I was asking where?I dont care to drive a ways.I have friends in VA beach thats why I thought I would ask.Where is he at?

thanks for the advice everyone.Dont guess I need anything now.The guy sold it because after we made the deal someone else offered him a $100 more.And he called me after we agreed on the price and shipping and said i could have it for a $100 more.I guess peoples word is no good anymore.

Bringing this back up I got a complete kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subbing, did you get the kit?

Pictures?

Please Note: My Explorer is the only vehicle I've ever owned not boosted. every vehicle I've owned or built has had one either been factory and I tweaked it or I've added it personally. I've learned many lessons the hard way.

My resume:

'85 Mustang SVO - 2.3 Factory Turbo - Sold
'89 T-Bird Supercoupe - 3.8 Factory Supercharged - Sold
'91 T-Bird 5.0 - Vortech Supercharger added by me - Sold
'02 F150 Lightning - Factory Supercharged (Bracket raced, heavily modded by me) R.I.P. - rolled 3 times
'03 F150 Harley Davidson - Factory Supercharged - unmolested current Summer truck
'23 T-Bucket SBC 355 /Weiand 142 - my build from scratch show car - motor blown.... again.

With that said, and for what it's worth, my $00.02:

Cams:
Are critical to making efficient use of the boost, but not 100% neccessary, and at low levels, 3-5 psi (guesstimate), It just overcomes the weaknesses in the heads and gives you a few extra ftlbs of low RPM torque. from what I've gathered about wheeling, this comes in pretty darn handy. Looks like a couple motorheads already chimed in on some work-arounds for this.

Pistons:
OK with stockers at aforementioned low boost level, but forged would be reccomended for peace of mind and a wider safety net. Hypereuretic one's scare me.

GUAGES: **Most Importantly**
--Vaccuum/Boost meter
--Fuel pressure
--Fuel/Air ratio with wideband O2 sensor

Tune:
Looks to me like the biggest problem. I'd invest in something I could tune myself on the fly. I wouldn't consider this mod without having this control at my fingertips.

Fuel Pump:
Stay away from anything that says "Race" on it. Get a production version maybe a little larger. Looks like the motorheads have this covered too.

Injectors:
This is a Prev Maint thing, have them serviced at a reputable shop during the mod, or do it yourself. This will make your tuning more predictable and reliable.

Transmission:
---From what I've gathered, is the weakest link. This holds true universally to any vehicle, but apparently more so to the Explorers. This is another reason I hesistate adding a blower, limited aftermarket upgrades to the factory tranny.

Well, there you go. I tried to hit the high points, there is mch more to it than just this, but the guys who've done it probably have more to offer in specific detail. It's a badge of honor made up of cans of worms, dollars, and heartache.

Back