pcm swap and part numbers!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pcm swap and part numbers!!!

ahmos

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
hi, I have changed my explorer 98 sohc engine and transmission , but the new engine has a pcm wih different part number although the engines are the same
so what if i swapped the new pcm with the old one ?
what are differences between for example cjj2 pcm and bae2 ?!!!!!
can I use any pcm with different part number as it was mounted for the same type of engine and wiring harness?!!
ps, i know that the major problem while swapping is the pat system so i will solve that problem..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi, I have changed my explorer 98 sohc engine and transmission , but the new engine has a pcm wih different part number although the engines are the same
so what if i swapped the new pcm with the old one ?
what are differences between for example cjj2 pcm and bae2 ?!!!!!
can I use any pcm with different part number as it was mounted for the same type of engine and wiring harness?!!
ps, i know that the major problem while swapping is the pat system so i will solve that problem..
I have a 01 Pcm from a 01 Sohc ???

original PCM?

ahmos, why didn't you use the original PCM if the engines are the same? I suggest that you try the old PCM since it would probably work fine with the replaced engine unless the wiring harness is different from the original.

The wiring harness are the same.. Although my car consume too much fuel.. So I have a doubt that it needs to be reprogrammed... And I can't do that in my country.. So that I wanted to know the differences

Those codes are not a part number, they are what is called a VO catchword. Essentially it refers to the software and calibration level that was loaded into the PCM at the factory. If those vehicles ever got software updates, they won't even have those software levels any more. You will never find the specific detail differences between these versions without access to some carefully protected internal Ford databases.

You may have the same basic engine and transmission, but there may be subtle hardware revision differences between them. What matters is that you have both a module and software that is compatible with the hardware revision you have. If you have changed engine and trans (and most of the sensors and such that go along with it), you probably will get a closer match with the "new" module as well. You may not notice any difference at all between them either. If the new one doesn't work for some reason, try the old one.

If I understand your question, you are saying that the new engine/trans combination with the new PCM is using too much fuel? That is unlikely to be due to a PCM problem at all. Most likely you need to look elsewhere for the source of that problem, such as a bad ECT sensor for example.

latest catchword

Below are the latest 1998 model year calibrations according to MotorcraftService.com
Catchword1998.jpg

I know that BAE2 was one of the original calibration catchwords for the USA 49 state 1998 Explorer. It has been updated numerous times during the past 16 years. I suspect export models had different calibrations because of different emission standards.
Here's data on BAE2:
CatchwordBAE2.jpg

And here's data on CJJ2:
CatchwordCJJ2.jpg

Since the updated part numbers are different (DGA vs DHA) I suggest using the BAE2 PCM for compatibility with all of the vehicle even if the drivetrains are identical.

Catchword1998.jpg

CatchwordBAE2.jpg

CatchwordCJJ2.jpg

I have had 3 98 sohc explorers and they have all had the Bae2 calibration. They were automatics with return style fuel system. I even have a pcm on ebay from one now.

By the way my car has DMD1 calibration.. That what confuses me and the new engine I installed used to work with CJJ2 calibration
So can I use the old pcm DMD1 or should it be reprogrammed.. Or should I use the CJJ2 calibration.. Sorry I'm confused.. And hope to get help

part number vs calibration

The US vehicles have PATS (immobilizer) on the 1998 and later models. Apparently you have the ability to disable PATS.

Are you saying the original PCM with the BAE2 part number has a DMD1 calibration and the PCM that came with the replacement engine has a CJJ2 part number and calibration? And you swapped in the CJJ2 PCM when you installed the replacement engine and it ran OK but now it is using too much fuel? If so, I think you should be running the BAE2/DMD1 PCM. It should only take about 15 minutes to try it:
1. Disconnect the battery negative terminal
2. Disconnect the CJJ2 PCM connector and remove the PCM
3. Install the DMD1 PCM and connect
4. Connect battery negative terminal

No the old one catchword is dmd1with part number F87F-12A650-BBB and new one is cjj2 (there is no bae2.. It was just a question about bae2 to know the differences).. And I didn't try the cjj2 because it's broken..
My question is can I combine the new motor with the old pcm... Or should I swap the pcm to the new one (and in that case I will have to buy another Cjj2 pcm cause the one I have is broken )
Ps. Bad fuel consumption was with the old motor and old pcm....
Didn't try the new motor yet
Sorry for my bad english language and if I confused all of you with me :D

Old discussion, but for me very useful and up to date.
Please, give me an advice.
I bought 1998 Ford Explorer VIN: 1FMZU34E3WUC45200, this car is probably a European model, to the Czech Republic, where I am from, was imported from Germany.
This car could not be started, it was already in several repair shops, but no one could fix it.
This car has the PCM F87F-12A650-AYB ACL2 4.0L
I don't know anything about this Engine computer, I don't know if it's original. It is possible that someone has replaced it with another during previous repairs. I cannot read with any diagnostic tool, it is not communicating at all, it is defective
Please, It is possible to determine by VIN the exact type and designation which PCM belongs to this car?

s-l1600m.jpg

Mirall, I would like to know about interchangeability also. I fear no one is on these threads anymore.

Back