PCV catch jar/ condensator install, performance, cleaner, and mileage! Very Easy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV catch jar/ condensator install, performance, cleaner, and mileage! Very Easy

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
i read some stuff about this, and decided i wanted to install one, but there werent any good how to's out there.

the point of this install if you dont already know is to let gases from the crankcase enter the intake manifold to aid combustion, but keep oil and water vapor from the crankcase out of the intake maifold, by catching the oil in a small jar, and letting gases pas over the top.

i went for it and here is everything i used.

some fuel line i bought at oreillys
then hose clamps
some of the angled hose fittings seen in the pics
and a air compressor water vapor filter from home depot.
overall i spent about $25 and it was worth it.

it was suposed to improve mileage which it did minimally, maybe .5 mpg or something, but it does catch some of the water and oil sludge and keep it from going into the intake manifold.
and it seems to have a bit smoother idle afterwards.

all i did to install this was screw in the hose fitting to the catch can.
then unscrew the bottom clear canister at the bottom of the jar, and after that remove the little filter that is inside of it.

pcv4.jpg

here is a generic pic of one of these, you can barely see the filter in it, but it comes off with one screw, so its easy to do.

anyway, ones that little filter is out, then i just took the fuel line, put it on the pcv valve, and then ran it to the intake side of the catch jar, hose clamped it down, then on the output side of the jar, ran the fuel line to the fitting on the intake manifold. and thats it, your done, i didnt bother mounting the jar, the hoses hold it up fine, and they are all clamped down so they wont come off. the jar just sits up against the brake booster.

here it is installed. (sorry for the dirty engine bay, my next project is cleaning that lol) :)
the pics arent too great, they were with my cell phone camera.
PCV1.jpg

PCV2.jpg

PCV3.jpg

overall, it was a relatively inexpensive project, that gave me good results.
a very small increase in mileage.
cleaner intake manifold. i would recommend running seafoam through a vacuum line, and using injector cleaner, to start off clean. but this should help keep it that way.
and it gave me a smoother idle.

i would recommend this to anyone looking for a quick easy mod to keep their X, or any vehicle at that, running a little smoother, a little cleaner, and a little longer.

if anyone wants better pics, or wants me to clear anything up on this install please let me know and i will be happy to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did the same install about a month ago, with the same filter. Works great!

im new, and this looks like a good mod, im for sure going to try it out, thanks

I added a homemade pcv catch can last August and it's working great. I used 1 1/2" ABS pipe as the catch can and plumbed it with 3/8" chrome plated copper pipe (bendable toilet/sink risers). I used copper so that there's no chance of collapsing the tubing due to vacuum and/or engine temperature. The catch can is mounted in front of the drivers side wheel well and the tubing slopes down from the pcv valve to the catch can and up to the intake, so the catch can is at the low point. I dump it every oil change and get about 4 oz. of condensate out each time. I liked the idea enough to put one on my '96 Lincoln also. I've read not to use silicone in the set-up as it can be bad for O2 sensors.

interesting... i think i might re-postion mine like you said so that its at the low point. sounds like a good idea.

the compressor filter seems to work well, its held up to temp, and vac.
but yours does sound a little more heavy duty.

Back