PCV Valve, are you *&#^$(@!! serious?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV Valve, are you *&#^$(@!! serious?!?!

unpredictable1

Reaction score
City, State
AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I got the codes that point to the PCV valve, I wrestled with it today to no avail.

That has to be the worse setup I ever seen. Anyone have any tricks to it? I read everything i could find in the archives...

ARGH!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here! I bought a new one in January or something to replace while I did my front end work and fuel filter, I cant figure for the life of me how to get the old PCV out.

Dumbest location for one ive ever seen.

Same here! I bought a new one in January or something to replace while I did my front end work and fuel filter, I cant figure for the life of me how to get the old PCV out.

Dumbest location for one ive ever seen.

I really can't see how anyone can change that. I have thin arms and it's just not doable.

Im a bigger guy and cant get to it. I remember reading a few posts on here how easy it is to change, but im stumped as to how that is. Maybe someone will help us both out :thumbsup:

Did you remove the upper intake?

Ryan

Nope,
Explorer4.jpg

That looks like the V8 upper intake...

I have a sohc

If you remove the UPPER intake, the PCV valve is EASY to replace....

[EDIT]......on the V8.....but you have a SOHC....I don't know...Never done anything more than a Water Pump on a SOHC..

Ryan

If you remove the UPPER intake, the PCV valve is EASY to replace....

[EDIT]......on the V8.....but you have a SOHC....I don't know...Never done anything more than a Water Pump on a SOHC..

Ryan

You had my hopes up there for a minute!

I would agree that the PCV valve is really in an odd position. I have V8 and there is a long thread for that. It took me 3 hours in total to find it. After I know where it is it is easy. And I don't know where it is for V6.

I've been doing it this way for a long time and have big arms and little patients.

explorer009.jpg

Look below for image

Area Of Insertion (PCM wire harness dismounted to provide factory approved 'wiggle room').

http://img846.imageshack.us/i/explorer010.jpg/

Meat Hook in Place

explorer008.jpg

Look below for image

For clarity I removed my arm

Now what you do is push the pry bar down between the bracket holding the EGR solenoid and manifold just behind the passenger side runner. You will have to also get the bar to go between the fuel rail back there and the manifold. With hand inserted and pry bar in position. Place bar (with some figure manipulation) on top of rubber line place index and middle figure below hose with thumb on top just touching the pry bar. No use the bar and index/middle figure to gently rock up and down and if possible side to side. Now apply some backward force with your thumb and pry bar. This method is guaranteed to not break the fragile bib on the lower manifold (unless you do it, then I take no responsibility).

The bib is at a perpendicular orientation to you as you stand at the side of the vehicle and just pulling up will in some cases break the bib along a molding line at the bottom causing a leak.

When installing your new PCV route the lower hose behind the fuel rail as this is also a contact point and can wear through the hose. As far as installing the new hose just push really hard and make sure your lined up with the bib.

I do commend Streetrod for his modification as the bracket is also a nasty contact point. But my method when try once usually frees the PCV in distress in under a minute. Flat rate will bring about great ideas.

So I have to remove that lower hose as well then. Am I better getting an entire pcv assembly from ford?

So I have to remove that lower hose as well then. Am I better getting an entire pcv assembly from ford?

I think there like $26 or something. I have never seen a hose rub throgh but the gouges get pretty deep and I would say with time anything is possible.

So I went and got another PCV valve at the local parts store. It was a fram one and that sucker is not going in the T fitting without splitting it I'm sure. I had picked up some brake cleaner while I was out.

I cleaned out the old PCV valve, the t-fitting and the upper hoses appear to be in great shape and are strong (won't collapse)

There was one spot on the longer hose that goes to the driver side that had a small amount of chafing, but no holes or cracks/splits. I wrapped a piece of black duct tape on this section.

I reached as far down as I could on the remaining lower hose that goes into the back of the motor and from what I can tell it appears to be fine.

I don't think it's the original setup since the PCV valve came out of the fluted end without much effort.

I just cleared the codes and we'll see what happens.

if you think the ex is bad should see on a 3.0 tauris 32valve.

I recently did a Seafoam cleaning via the PCV hose. The PCV is behind the "5" of the 5.0L V8 emblem. It comes straight up. I have a slight build, so my hand could just fit.

I later replaced the PCV hose assembly. The rubber/plastic fitting to the crankcase one needs to remove the wiring assembly that is attached to the firewall (use a short screw driver to press up on the tab keeping the assembly secured to the metal bracket, then remove the two screws holding the bracket to the firewall). You need to use a screw driver to gently pry the fuel line toward the firewall to give enough clearance to pull the crankcase fitting out. (As shown in a previous post.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I went and got another PCV valve at the local parts store. It was a fram one and that sucker is not going in the T fitting without splitting it I'm sure. I had picked up some brake cleaner while I was out.

I cleaned out the old PCV valve, the t-fitting and the upper hoses appear to be in great shape and are strong (won't collapse)

There was one spot on the longer hose that goes to the driver side that had a small amount of chafing, but no holes or cracks/splits. I wrapped a piece of black duct tape on this section.

I reached as far down as I could on the remaining lower hose that goes into the back of the motor and from what I can tell it appears to be fine.

I don't think it's the original setup since the PCV valve came out of the fluted end without much effort.

I just cleared the codes and we'll see what happens.

yes from my experience the pcv valve from the part store split & cracked my original factory T that is needed, I had to get ride from neighbor back to store to find a new T that they do not have & cannot order, so I had to buy a pack of multiple sizes of connectors and a pkg of rubber hoses to rig up the small side of T connector just to get truck running til I could buy a Motorcraft part so take it from me....SPEND MORE MONEY on parts

Back