• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve removal??

jeff4912

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4WD
I have the 4.0 V6. Does the PCV valve screw out of the back of the valve cover or just pull out? My Explorer is idling rough and the "service engine soon" light just came on today. When a load is on the engine, it runs just fine.
Vacuum leak??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

counter clockwise just about a 1/4 turn will twist it out unless they changed it on your year. Get it scanned to see what is wrong.

The PCV valve faces the firewall on the drivers side of the truck and cannot be seen visually. A hose runs from the valve to the intake manifold - it's attached to the manifold in visual sight perpendicular to the firewall (i.e. same orientation as the valve).

Follow the hose back with your hand and pull the hose directly off the valve. After the hose is off the valve comes out with a 1/4 turn.

Rumple

I have the 4.0 V6. Does the PCV valve screw out of the back of the valve cover or just pull out?

you can get it from Rockauto.com. They ship out quickly.

I found the problem. Local garage read the trouble code and said cylinder #6 was not firing properly, so I changed the sparkplug and the engine is like butta again. The old plug at 78k looked bad. White corrosive looking build up on it etc.. The gap was shot also.

Thanks you guys, appreciate it.:thumbsup:

Back