• Register Today It's free!

pcv valve???

yankups

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport XL
I have a 99 explorer 4.0 SOHC I have been trying to fix, I keep reading/seeing about the pcv valve to check it/replace it and I can't seem to find it or what it looks like and in one of the manuals it says some may not even have the pcv valve, does anyone know if this model has one? I feel kinda dumb but I'm fairly new to fixing a vehicle, I am just not really wanting to trust another mechanic right now, any help would be really cool, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your truck has a PCV valve. Sort of tricky to find. Scour the archives for threads on it. The SEARCH tools are your friends.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

its behind the intake manifold, by the fire wall you definitely have one if its a sohc.

it will have a 2 connectors on top of it comming out, the 2 black lines on each side of the tanks on the upper manifold is what the pcv runs to / from.

As waskly says its at the rear of the engine. The photo below shows the rear of the block with the intakes off. You can see the hose that the PCV plugs into.
finished%20rear.jpg

man, thanks everybody so much, I found it. I know I need to change my EGR solenoid which is pretty close to it, so I will check that I tried just pulling it out last night to do the shake test but it was dark cold and it didn't want to just slide out easy, so I'm gonna work on it today thanks again, I'm new to this site and it's just awesome thanks.

Not sure on other years but in 95 the manual states the dealer will replace it free of charge at 60k or so. Last time the truck was at the dealer they didnt have a PCV valve in stock though........

Back