PCV Valve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
So I noticed a lot of oil moisture around the valve covers of my 2003 ford explorer 4.0l. It seemed like it was coming from the rear of the engine so I checked the PCV valve. Sure enough the thing popped right out without twisting it. I removed the hose that runs up to the intake manifold and inspected everything. The PCV valve is new and was installed a few months back no problem. Though when I felt inside the hole, it is completely smooth. Is it possible the threads wore off? Or is there some type of grommet that fell out or possible in the engine? I wanna stop this leak but no matter how I turn in any orientation of the valve, it will not stay in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that one of the one time use valves with the break off tabs or am I thinking of the V8?

No the valve itself has plastic threads on it to lock into the male connector in the valve cover. The valve definitely isn't one time use in and out. but the threads on the cover seem nonexistent.

No grommet or sleeve for the valve cover PCV port. Very poor design and common for the two valve cover "tabs" to break when the valve is just slightly over tightened. Do you have the electric or coolant heated valve? Had the same issue with a loose PCV valve and oil leaking on the exhaust manifold. The taut coolant hose connected to the valve was causing side force on the loose valve preventing a good seal. Pulled the valve off the aluminum coolant pipe, removed the intake hose, and connected the open heater hose. Only option to replacing the valve cover is using RTV sealant around the PCV flange and letting it cure before installing the rubber elbow. Two weeks later seems to be sealing without leaking oil.
DSC04979.jpg
DSC04970_1.jpg
DSC04963_1.jpg
DSC04994.jpg

Yeah man, the pins in the VC are gone. It's smooth in there so there's nothing for the PCV to lock onto.

Mine does not have a heater. I'll have to check it to see if it's held since I did my quick fix.. Will report back.

Back