Pedal Commander | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pedal Commander

Reaction score
City, State
NOVA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford PIU
Unfortunately unlike most people I cannot go wild with mods for my PIU. Perhaps the most limiting factor is that my company makes me use their fuel pumps to fill up. Thus I get crappy 87-octane gas which means a tune is out of the question for me. I also have to keep any changes super discrete so things like intakes, etc. just aren't going to fly either - particularly since our vehicles are inspected and often parked side by side.

That being said, I opted to install a Pedal Commander. I had previously used on a 2006 F-150 I used to own and was fairly happy with it. I like the fact that it is easily removed, makes no changes to the ECU, and is easily switched on the fly.

Installation is super simple:
  1. The instructions recommend that cars with keyless entry keep the key fob away from the vehicle and wait 5-minutes with the door open to make sure the ECU is completely powered off. Since the PIU doesn't have this I opted to skip this step with no ill-effects.
  2. I reached around to the back of the gas pedal and found the connector. Pull the tab out until it clicks and then press the tab while pulling the connector from the pedal assembly.
  3. Connect the Pedal Commander to the pedal assembly. I choIse to connect the commander to the pedal assembly first to ensure it was not powered prematurely.
  4. Next connect the factory wiring harness to the Pedal Commander input plug.
  5. Tuck the wiring harness out of the way and mount the Pedal Commander somewhere you can see and reach it.
  6. Turn the truck to "Run" but do not start it yet.
  7. Press the power button on the Pedal Commander and you will see the LEDs cycle.
  8. If you have the app downloaded on your phone you will connect to the Pedal Commander using the app, not through the Bluetooth Option in your phone settings.
  9. Start the app then connect to the Pedal Commander.
  10. Now you're all set!
I started with Eco mode first and the throttle response is definitely muted. This would be a great mode for beginning drivers, the valet, and anyone wanting to gain a little fuel economy. Starting from a stop can be an exercise in patience as the PIU slowly accelerates from the light or stop sign unless you really put the spurs to it. The up side is that the would be a handy mode given the current cost of fuel.

Next I switched to "Sport mode" and the difference is night and day. You can definitely feel the ramped up throttle profile because the tiniest squeeze of the pedal sends revs shooting skyward. One thing I found is that by putting the PIU into Sport or Sport+ mode it is very easy to get the "Pursuit Mode" activated. You also need to be very careful going around corners in the wet while in Sport mode. I tapped the throttle a tiny bit and the vehicle (lurched) forward, getting me into understeer very briefly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this system does in the future. If you're limited on modification options, or cannot or don't want to pay for premium for your Explorer Police Interceptor then the Pedal Commander may be for you. I'll follow up after a few weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately unlike most people I cannot go wild with mods for my PIU. Perhaps the most limiting factor is that my company makes me use their fuel pumps to fill up. Thus I get crappy 87-octane gas which means a tune is out of the question for me. I also have to keep any changes super discrete so things like intakes, etc. just aren't going to fly either - particularly since our vehicles are inspected and often parked side by side.

That being said, I opted to install a Pedal Commander. I had previously used on a 2006 F-150 I used to own and was fairly happy with it. I like the fact that it is easily removed, makes no changes to the ECU, and is easily switched on the fly.

Installation is super simple:
  1. The instructions recommend that cars with keyless entry keep the key fob away from the vehicle and wait 5-minutes with the door open to make sure the ECU is completely powered off. Since the PIU doesn't have this I opted to skip this step with no ill-effects.
  2. I reached around to the back of the gas pedal and found the connector. Pull the tab out until it clicks and then press the tab while pulling the connector from the pedal assembly.
  3. Connect the Pedal Commander to the pedal assembly. I choIse to connect the commander to the pedal assembly first to ensure it was not powered prematurely.
  4. Next connect the factory wiring harness to the Pedal Commander input plug.
  5. Tuck the wiring harness out of the way and mount the Pedal Commander somewhere you can see and reach it.
  6. Turn the truck to "Run" but do not start it yet.
  7. Press the power button on the Pedal Commander and you will see the LEDs cycle.
  8. If you have the app downloaded on your phone you will connect to the Pedal Commander using the app, not through the Bluetooth Option in your phone settings.
  9. Start the app then connect to the Pedal Commander.
  10. Now you're all set!
I started with Eco mode first and the throttle response is definitely muted. This would be a great mode for beginning drivers, the valet, and anyone wanting to gain a little fuel economy. Starting from a stop can be an exercise in patience as the PIU slowly accelerates from the light or stop sign unless you really put the spurs to it. The up side is that the would be a handy mode given the current cost of fuel.

Next I switched to "Sport mode" and the difference is night and day. You can definitely feel the ramped up throttle profile because the tiniest squeeze of the pedal sends revs shooting skyward. One thing I found is that by putting the PIU into Sport or Sport+ mode it is very easy to get the "Pursuit Mode" activated. You also need to be very careful going around corners in the wet while in Sport mode. I tapped the throttle a tiny bit and the vehicle (lurched) forward, getting me into understeer very briefly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this system does in the future. If you're limited on modification options, or cannot or don't want to pay for premium for your Explorer Police Interceptor then the Pedal Commander may be for you. I'll follow up after a few weeks.
What engine are you running? I currently have the 2022 3.3 NA engine. I was thinking about this option.

What engine are you running? I currently have the 2022 3.3 NA engine. I was thinking about this option.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on November 3, 2022. I hope he is still following the thread.
In looking through his 13 posts I found he has a 2021 PIU 3.0L EB.

Peter

I've got the 3.0L EcoBoost motor so the Pedal Commander is pretty peppy. I have some other friends who have N/A 3.7L cars and they say these make it peppier; however, I would imagine the effects would be minimal. YMMV.

I have this on my Ranger. I only run on the 2nd setting as the top setting is just bananas.

Back