Peel & Seal over Dynamat?

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I am considering using some sort of sound dampener on my Explorer while I have the carpet out when I am doing my 02 sensor, and my stereo. Or I was until I say the cost of Dynamat :eek: . But recently I have uncovered a lot of videos of people using a roofing sealer/damping called peel and seal.

I have read that P&S won't stick upside down, which I didn't plan on putting it on my roof anyway, and that if the surface is not prepped right that it will not stick so well. I also heard that if it gets real hot that it oozes tarish stuff out.

Now I know that the thickness is the same, and that both are almost the same, with the exception that P&S is tar based, and Dynamat is butyl based.

So what I am asking is not so much your opinion if you have not tried it, but if you have tried t, did it work out good, or was there many problems? I am really up for anything, especially if it cuts costs. But what I don't want is somebody coming in here and saying Dynamat is superior to all and just starting a war over something so stupid.

So please keep it cool, I am just trying to have a nice rattle free ride, without spending a whole bunch of money. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Three weeks ago I used the peel & seal on my '02 KIA Sportage on the roof no less and it made a big difference in the sound level. The only sound deadening was the foam on the headliner which didn't deaden ****.

I did not have a problem with it not sticking to the roof.

I have had no issue with using it...

I initially lined the cab, floor, doors, and roof of my 83 Ranger with it in 1998 and it still holds up today... I have used it in my Charger for the same sound deadening purposes and I have yet to see it not stick to a clean, prepped metal or plastic surface....

I currently use it in my 99 Explorer Sport in the doors, hatch, floor, door panels, cabin panels, hatch panel, roof, and firewall...Be forewarned that if it sticks to a surface that you do not want it attached to it may leave a dark brown mark when you remove it which is hard as hell to remove... Oh, yeah, unless you use acetone to remove it...

I also have used Dynamat and liked it as well if not more...The lone caveat was the price to do an entire vehicle...And I have left all the vehicles I lined with this stuff in the sun for hours on end and never had any odd smells or odors from the base component of Peel and Seal...But it does stop noise and vibration if that is what you need...Plus it is available at Lowes and it is cheaper to buy than Dynamat.

I initially lined the cab, floor, doors, and roof of my 83 Ranger with it in 1998 and it still holds up today... I have used it in my Charger for the same sound deadening purposes and I have yet to see it not stick to a clean, prepped metal or plastic surface....

I currently use it in my 99 Explorer Sport in the doors, hatch, floor, door panels, cabin panels, hatch panel, roof, and firewall...Be forewarned that if it sticks to a surface that you do not want it attached to it may leave a dark brown mark when you remove it which is hard as hell to remove... Oh, yeah, unless you use acetone to remove it...

I also have used Dynamat and liked it as well if not more...The lone caveat was the price to do an entire vehicle...And I have left all the vehicles I lined with this stuff in the sun for hours on end and never had any odd smells or odors from the base component of Peel and Seal...But it does stop noise and vibration if that is what you need...Plus it is available at Lowes and it is cheaper to buy than Dynamat.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, you did everything right, and it worked out good for you. Plus I believe you live in Texas, so you get way more hot days then I do up here in IL. Also thanks for the tip about removing it off of surfaces.

I used FatMat and love it. Ordered my kit on eBay, for a fraction of what simaler Dynamat kits went for.

I used FatMat and love it. Ordered my kit on eBay, for a fraction of what simaler Dynamat kits went for.

I have also heard good things about Fatmat, but still, that is more then P & S, and now I am on a tight budget to get everything together.

How did you prep the area?

I thinkin about doin this but I'm not sure of the best way to prep for it.

Back