Peeling paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Peeling paint

:mad: This is what the roof of my '05 looks like right now. Not to pleased with this.

roof2.jpg

roof1.jpg

Considering the truck is only 4 years old I would have for better out of the original paint job.

Has anybody else with a 3rd Gen or newer experienced and de-lamination of the paint?

As for fixing it, the dealership quoted me $400 to re-paint the whole roof. As its the roof, I was thinking about sanding it down and doing it myself. Any opinions on that route? And/or suggestions for doing it in a manner to get the best results? I've never painted a vehicle before so this would be new territory for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just try to paint it myself first, cost you alot less and if you prep good and take your time it shoudl turn out great and worst come to worst people cant see the top of your ex very good and then you could always take it to the dealership

I agree with dmathews. I'm painting an EE airdam, a wind deflector, a hood scoop and that piece over the rear license plate as we speak, and if you prime, wet sand ,base, wet sand, clear, then 3 days later wet sand and compund. It's time consuming but you can save a ton of money. I'm actually typing during drying time. So go for it, worse case, you have it done if you don't like the results. I think for you the hardest part is getting up that high to paint. Better start on the scaffolding first. :) Good luck, Mike

thats y u gotta wax the roof of ur x also.

Thanks for chiming in guys!! I'm going to attempt this myself, and if it doesn't work, oh well, get it done professionally.

get it done professionally.
Unless you dont really care about longevity or quality results.
( NO disrespect intended)

get it done professionally.
Unless you dont really care about longevity or quality results.
( NO disrespect intended)

None taken. And I do care about results and longevity. And I just landed a new job last week that pays WAY more than my last job that ended in layoff in June. So I now have the $$ to pay for a proper job.

i am new here and i have this exact issue. my roof looks near identical to this. dealer told me that it would cost $1000 to repaint and they would split it 70/30 with me. would cost me $300....

any suggestions?

$300 to have a dealership paint ur roof????? take it

i am new here and i have this exact issue. my roof looks near identical to this. dealer told me that it would cost $1000 to repaint and they would split it 70/30 with me. would cost me $300....

any suggestions?

Just took my vehicle through the car wash to clean off all the salt and stuff and after I was done I notice a big piece of flake on the windshield. I stepped out and it was a piece of paint. I looked on the roof and found this:

5388047195_6899263164.jpg

The rest of the vehicle is fine:
5388042949_03aa020993.jpg

I'm not sure why the roof will start peeling.

First post said $400 for the roof only is alot of money....

but the poster I quote said the dealership split it 70/30. I didn't know they covered this???

Will it get any worse if I just leave it? I am not handy with painting or working on cars much. Swapping out a transmission, transfer case and etc I can do if I have to but anything Im not that handy:rolleyes:

What should I do take it to the dealer to be fixed or just leave it? How long would this take?...I would need to rent a car of the time its being done bc this is my only vehicle. Sold the 99 XLT....speaking of the 99 XLT I had the roof never peeled.

OEM paint colour code for Eddie bauer tan/gold trim

Hi there, I am new to this site...and was wondering if someone could help me out...looks like someone has scuffed the rear wheel trim on my 2010 Eddie Bauer (black & tan) (another 4x4 - judguing by the height probably knocked it in the parking lot) , and would like to match the paint to paint over the scuff mark. Any ideas where I may find htis - either on the car itself - or does anyone know it

thanks for your help:)

5388047195_6899263164.jpg

What should I do take it to the dealer to be fixed or just leave it? How long would this take?....

Find your paint code and get a spray can of the correct color. Wipe down with a wax and grease remover.Tape off the channel where it peeled, sand it with some 400 until the paint edges are smooth and spray a few light coats.
Try to contain the peeling to the channels.

Hi there, I am new to this site...and was wondering if someone could help me out...looks like someone has scuffed the rear wheel trim on my 2010 Eddie Bauer (black & tan) (another 4x4 - judguing by the height probably knocked it in the parking lot) , and would like to match the paint to paint over the scuff mark. Any ideas where I may find htis - either on the car itself - or does anyone know it

thanks for your help:)

See if it will rub out first. It might only be paint transfer.

paint scuff..need OEM paint code for tan colour on Eddie Bauer 2010

Hi there...have tried rubbing it...but it has definitely scratch the paint :(

Call your local ford dealer and give them the last 8 digits in your vin...They can give you the paint code.

OEM paint code

thanks for the tip that is a great help :);):exp:

I don't know if the sticker has trim codes, but you can look.

Attachments

• paint codes.jpg
    paint codes.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,423

Thank you Sean99 for your helpful advice. Another thing I don't have a garage to do this in, so I will be working outside and the degrees is usually in the single digits and the afternoon maybe 20(upstate ny weather:mad:) Does it have to be a certain temp. to do this?

Cold here is below 60 during the day...I've never painted below 65.
Keep your paint in the house and warm up your work area with a hair dryer. You could also use the hair dryer speed up the dry time between coats. Don't get it too hot, warm will be good enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately I don't have a garage in which I could work in. I hair dryer method would be good but 1.) I have no way to plug the dryer in and 2.) the community where I live probably wouldn't allow it.

So I spoke with the dealership a few hours ago because I had to get my oil changed and filter. The guy said that it was a problem with Ford when they painted the vehicle. He said the primer they used was very strong(in order to prevent rust). But the problem with the primer was that it dried too quick and by the time the paint went on the primer was like glass and the paint doesn't really stick to the primer.

He said that he wouldn't recommend me spending money because they would have to paint the whole roof because they couldn't paint that one spot. He said eventually the whole vehicle will look like that but it will take some time to do. I pre-order the touch up paint and when it comes they will do it in the garage.

He said ford would have covered it if it was in the 3years /36,000 miles. He also stated that the rust won't be a problem because of the strong primer which was used.

He said for a vehicle that is 7 years old it should have start long before now, which meaning the previous owner took good care of it.

- Just wanted to update on the situation and what Ford told me. I feel ford as a company should cover part of this problem instead of putting this on the customer which they had no control over.

Better start saving up for a paint job..:rolleyes:

Back