People and Yields | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

People and Yields

Long time no see guys, but I guess if its in the woops section it cant be good right. Long story... but hey I had time.

About 2 years ago around this time I was hit by someone not yielding at a yield. Well luck has hit again, and I do mean that. Someone yet again blew right past a yield and this time I saw it happening. But sadly my reflexes where about a half second short if that. I ran into the back of her doing about 5mph or less than she was. So it was 95 Explorer XLT vs 96 Explorer XLT, lol

*Pictures to come soon*

So still being on my brakes I cam to a stop, her on the other hand kept going as if it was a close call. I gunned it pulled behind her and told her to go into the gas station.

I get out and tell her to present insurance. (Hey I want this to go quick, I have a job interview in 3 hours, and I am meeting my mom for lunch before hand). She then says it was barely a tap. I said I don't care and I see damage right away without even inspecting the bumper in total. She asks where I point it out, and then she starts to tick me off with “You did that before, this accident didn't cause this”. I told her BS and we will let the insurance companies decide this. She then shows me her bumper to say no damage was done to hers (like anyone would know, its been hit 2-3 times before anyways). This is also when I notice the California plates... I will get to this later though

Then she has enough balls to say I ran into the back of her, and I am in the wrong. Again I told her nope, that she ran a yield sign. She said that she id yield and I hit the back of her. My reply to this was “I would have to have hit a concrete median, clip 2 cars, and a light poll, pull a 45 degree angle and still have enough speed to hit you, if you yielded (all in mind i didn't flip over). And if I did that, I think we would have a bigger mess than this”.

Well she insisted she still yielded, and that I was in the wrong. I told her that yield is to be ready to stop for right of way traffic. Its not look at the traffic and continue, and to read a drivers ed book if she thought I was crazy. (Also at this point I realize she has kids in the car). She then informs me that if shes injured shes gonna sue. And if any of her kids are hurt, shes gonna make sure I pay for the rest of my life. She starts saying “You will be hit with such a large lawsuit you wont know what hit you, you will be poor for ever”.

So I again asked for her insurance, her reply was call the cops. Well as most of you know that cops are not called out to a scene unless its $1000 or over in damages. Both cars together have maybe a deductible worth of damage between the two. I asked if she was sure she wanted to call the cops, because this could go on for 50+ mins waiting(boy was I wrong). She said yes, so I called the cops and reported they needed to come out because she refused to give me any info. (Hey its her right to refuse information...)

So now the wait starts, and its a nice 100 degrees out. I do not want to waste fuel so I am not in my car with the A/C. An half hour or so into this wait a cop shows up and drives though the area we are in I wave, but does they do not stop at all. (30 mins)

At this point she bellows out that “Why didn't I stop the cop since I wanted the cops so bad”. So being a bet peeved, hot, sweaty, hungry and a interview getting ever closer I am about ready to snap. I tell her that basically in a big city you learn that if the cop is not on call for you, then they are not coming. I then told her that this was her fault and that she wanted the cops, we could have been done and over with an hour ago.

Finely I had enough of her, and I told her that, I don't wanna speak anymore. I will be at my truck until the cops arrive. She follows me and says well why don't I wanna speak to her. I said because I am P-O'ed (thinking of the kids). She then says shes not ready for a fight and shes not angry. I simply tell her I am angry and she can speak to me through my insurance when the cop arrives. Plus I add I am thinking of the children in the car, and they don't need to hear something coming from me that insults there mother(again I am honestly thinking of the kids, something she didn't do when she didn't yield). I walk off and she laughs. I thought at this point it would be a simple wait for the cops game now. Oh hell now it just gets weird.

So I am waiting for the cops now when this black 2000 Explorer sport shows up (40 mins). Lady gets out and goes into the store to get something to drink. Then she comes out and starting speaking with the woman. Five mins later she stops talking and the lady gets back in the black explorer and stays there. Now the gas station attendant (another woman) comes out and they start speaking. I start getting the evil eye from her, and I look at the lady in the truck and I am getting the evil eye.

I see a cop (#2) coming up and I try to flag him down, but it seems he is more interested in a speeder instead. I guess at this point a 40-50 min wait would be a blessing. But we are well over in hours in (80 mins) this traffic fender bender from hell. I see her getting out of her truck going to some other drivers. She starts talking to them now as well. 10 mins later I am getting a glare form all of them. I can read her lips when she says I am doing an insurance scam.

Cop #3 drives down the highway, I flag him down and he doesn't stop. We are now into this an hour and forty minutes. The black explorer is still parked and i waiting now for over an hour just sitting behind her, the store clerk keep coming outside to ask how she is doing is trying to glare me down every chance she gets. And now another car (from when she was speaking with these people) is now stationed at the other end, they too keeping a tab on me. The whole freaking store is watching me now, all with glaring eyes. She is really starting to tick me off, because all she is doing is spreading false things. All this around her children. So I call the cops wondering when they hell they will be there.

Cop #4 drives right past me, and waves back at me, he get onto the highway and is gone. I am getting ticked by the police department and the lady. She now has a good 6 people stationed watching me now. Keep in mind I have not moved my track at all since we pulled in, but she has moved around 5 times at this point. So I know she cant be telling them I am gonna run for it. We are now past the two hour mark and I have not had a bite to eat, or drink and I have no extra cash on me. The store seems to be conveniently not able to accept credit cards (clerk was on her side).

So being in the sun for over 2 hours now, and not having anything to eat or drink is starting to show some signs I know is bad. But I cant leave the scene now, or it will be hit and run. But I am starting to get a head ache, and sweating less..

OMG the cop shows up. So I apologize to the cop for having to come out to a minor non-reportable traffic accident. And thanked him for his time (yeah its suck up, but then again there is 1 million other things this cop could be doing), and told him that I was willing to give my information, but she wouldn't. (In the mean time, everyone that was in cars waiting, are leaving after talking to her) He asks me my “short story”, and the damage.

He goes to her, and I assume does the same. He comes back, asks for my proof of insurance and walks off with it in her direction (I think he was just gonna swap originally). She starts talking to him, and now he goes back to get a report. (OFFS... I need to go, I missed lunch and now I get to call my interview off. BTW it took them two weeks to get me in, it looked promising for me, and it was about a 10k bonus over my last job. I wanted it. But because this dumb lady wanted to run a yield, call the cops I am stuck in this hell).

So while the report is going on, the cop starts getting cross with me. I noticed it when I was gonna take a picture of the license plate. This was I can remember it, and my insurance company loves them. He tells me to back off, and to not take a picture and to go back to my truck (shes smirking behind him, and the kids are laughing at it. God I hope I never see this truck on the road again kid-less).

So he is still filling out the form to be done when I hear her start to cry(woohoo, maybe the cop told her is a damn yield). I was lifted by this, only to be crushed. I hear this come from her in a crying way “Like a mad man, he just came out of no where”. You know those shocked anime looks... I had that face, I kid you not.

At this point in my mind I am already formulating on how to get the result turned around. This was supposed to be a simple exchange of information and be done with it. But no, this turned into the $200 accident from hell. Cop comes back and tell me his badge number, and case number. That is it folks. I got no information at all. So I say ok and thinking he must be waiting to fill out the report. Well he finishes it off and asks me what I am still doing there.

I asked if I could at least have her insurance information, he tells me in a booming tone to let the insurance company do there work. They can call in 72 hours and get the police report which will detail everything. You will not be getting anything today. This just set me off, the cop is somewhat ticked at me and I don't know why. So when I left I made a squeal and shot outta there (so ticked).

So this made me miss lunch, and a sweat job interview. They never contacted me back, even when I gave them the police report number to detail I sat in hell for over 3 hours when all said in done. There was just no way to clean up and be there.

Sadly it didn't stop there at all. I go to pick up the police report, because I am interested in seeing what happened. She lists her self as possibly injured too, so she did want to sue. Well I am labeled not at fault (thank god) but what do my eyes see. She got cited for no insurance, and motor vehicle registration was out of date.

So lets sum this up then. She has a vehicle from California that is not registered, but with a valid California driver license. The car is registered to someone in California though. But the address on the California driver license cant be right because the report says she lives in McKinney Tx, (where the accident happened) in an apartment. It also said she was born in 1950, and 3 of the 4 kids in the cars are related to her. But the kids are max age of 11 and min of 6. This makes no since to be because the lady I saw get out of the car was in her early 40's if that.

So I say that McKinney PD will never see this person in court, and my insurance company will never speak to her. What I wanna know is if she had no insurance why she asked for the cops, and didn't just try to bribe me to go away (not that I would). And secondly why drive wreck less with no insurance with kids in the car? If I didn't catch it when I did I would have hit the side of her car in the rear passenger door when it was at a 45 degree angle (may have made her lose control because it would have bounced and maybe flipped). Or all the weight of my car vs her in one corner of my bumper/car hitting a door (bad things). Because when we hit I was doing 15 after slamming on the brakes for a good distance. Standard speed limit is 45-50 in that area, it would have been one bad wreck.

Anyways she wins because my car stays busted. No job = me not able to pay the 250 deductible. And Like I said before I don't think there can be more than 200 in damage anyways (I cant really afford more than $50). So in the end, this lady won. Granted she may have warrants out for her arrest if she doesn't pay the citations. But my car is still f'ed up slightly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going along on a road that was 45mph, and somebody pulled out right in front of me, when they had a yield. I managed to swerve into the left lane, otherwise it would have been ugly.

And when you slow down for a yield, people honk at you...
You just can't win

And when you slow down for a yield, people honk at you...
You just can't win

Yeah, I hear ya. Almost got rear ended like that too one day. Sad to say it was almost an 18 wheeler that would have rear ended me.

Sadly I couldn't dodge because someone when strait from a turn only lane on my other side. So basically I was gonna hit one of two cars :(

So I went with one that didn't have me impacting something on my driver side door (look out for me first I guess, if I had a passenger I would look out for them first though). But that said, that person may have been a quick swap of info, I would have had my interview, and my truck fixed. But we never know anything till it is all played out.

That sucks man. I guess now I was lucky that the woman that decided to use the passing lane as an expressway and slam into the side of my 97 with a trans-sport van ran. (Don't think she got far, she was leaking antifreeze and tranny fluid. The Flint Police never looked for her.)

Long story short, a bottle jack and bondo job fixed the body, but I needed a new door, which I junkyarded for $136.

That's terrible. What a bad experience. Hopefully she doesn't pay and they go after her, though I doubt it.

I had an incident at a yield once... webmastercharli is right. If you slow down, people do honk. I was going downhill, speed limit 70 kph, with a double-trailered semi behind me. Well, I slow down for the yield, and I hear a loud honking and see a shiny chromed grill the size of my tailgate in my mirror. I gun it when the semi is half a second from hitting me, and I see a firefly slip between me and the semi through the intersection.

No damage done, but this was my first day driving the Explorer. I didn't know the 4L V6 could accelerate that well!

roundabouts are fun thers been like 4-5 times that i am allready in the roundabout and sum1 cuts in right in front of me. i ####ing hate it and i am gonna teach them a lesson. so dont hate me for it but if someone cuts in i aint slamin on the brakes cause it wont be me at fault it will be them. last time was a small suv like an escape or cr-v once there was a f-250 that did it i just am sick of it

The other thing about yields that pisses me off is people who STOP at them. I almost rear-ended someone last spring because they came to a complete stop at a yield where there wasn't any traffic in sight to yield to. Ugh. :rolleyes:

roundabouts are fun thers been like 4-5 times that i am allready in the roundabout and sum1 cuts in right in front of me. i ####ing hate it and i am gonna teach them a lesson. so dont hate me for it but if someone cuts in i aint slamin on the brakes cause it wont be me at fault it will be them. last time was a small suv like an escape or cr-v once there was a f-250 that did it i just am sick of it

Here in arizona its almost always the rear ender that is at fault, not the one being rear ended. It takes some good evidence for it to be person who got hit to get cited in a rear ender.

~Makr

The other thing about yields that pisses me off is people who STOP at them. I almost rear-ended someone last spring because they came to a complete stop at a yield where there wasn't any traffic in sight to yield to. Ugh. :rolleyes:

A general once said, "It's a yield, not surrender".

Back