People that have the Super-runner steering??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

People that have the Super-runner steering???

So the pitman arm is drilled out and the tie rod is on and it's ready to go back together. We are going to wait on the other part for later but hopefully we will have that figured out soon. I might be sending Infragate an email with some questions before we are all finished.
IMG_1235.jpg

The old one, sorry I didn't get a good picture before we cut it up.

IMG_1227.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can your friend do the work on mine?

Hey Perry,

Would you buddy be up for doing another? I want to do the same mod, sounds like you have it figured out? Can you list the Chevy part number you used?

Thanks,
Joe

PS: is your son driving yet ?

Perry said:
I might be sending Infragate an email with some questions before we are all finished.

Feel free, i would be more than happy to help with what i can. :)

Please post additional info. I can have a machine shop fabricate it if i have enough information. Or,

Infragate are you interesed in making one for me?

Joe Dietz said:
Hey Perry,

Would you buddy be up for doing another? I want to do the same mod, sounds like you have it figured out? Can you list the Chevy part number you used?
Thanks,
Joe
PS: is your son driving yet ?
Hello Joe,
The guy that did it goes by Willys on the Colorado4x4 board, you might want to PM or email him and see if he will.
It was really easy, we just cut off the old end with a band saw then cut another inch or so off to make sure it was straight once we had the end out and to make room for the newer tie rod that was bigger. The part we used was ES2234R and we got it at Checker but any tie rod that is 7/8" will work. The 18 thread we got because that is the tap/die that he has and you also need to know right or left threads and his tap is right handed threads.
Once you cut the old part off you just tap the new threads and you are done. We did measure the old part to make sure the new part made it as long because you will have some threads sticking out.
Once we get back from Chinnaman this weekend I might take it apart again and start working on the bearings because that would be so much nicer.

Yes Patrick is driving with a permit for another 3 months. He still needs some hours behind the wheel with the stick shift but a couple trails under his belt will help that.

unclemeat said:
Please post additional info. I can have a machine shop fabricate it if i have enough information. Or,

Infragate are you interesed in making one for me?

:D
Lemme see what i can do, im in the process of moving for the next couple of weeks but i know i do have some material around that was left over. Gimme a bit and i will either get back to you with info or maybe i can make one for ya ;)

Cool, I am not in a hurry. I know a guy that owns a machine shop and I need to send him some business, so if I fabricate locally, that is not a problem.

Thanks alot Perry now I have one more project on my list :)
I suspect Joe and I will do our superrunner mods at the same time.

Keep us posted on how you tapper out the pitman arm.
I am worried too big a tapper might not leave enough material on the pitman arm??

unclemeat said:
Cool, I am not in a hurry. I know a guy that owns a machine shop and I need to send him some business, so if I fabricate locally, that is not a problem.
What do you mean not in a hurry, Moab May 12th is just around the corner!!!! :thumbsup:

I am east cost and and our run is to Crozet, the last weekend in June. It is just an hour from home.

Perry, can you post up a pix of the complete superrunner steering mounted on your truck? I'm thinking of building my own steering and want to see how they approached it. I've already done the OTT steering on a Sammy, but not on an X.

JDraper said:
Perry, can you post up a pix of the complete superrunner steering mounted on your truck? I'm thinking of building my own steering and want to see how they approached it. I've already done the OTT steering on a Sammy, but not on an X.
I will try and draw it out for you instead of taking a picture, it would be just to hard to get a good pictures since I have that skid plate in the way. I'll see if I can get it done tomorrow evening for you. It is a lot different then on the Sami but I think if you have a machinest friend he should be able to help you out.

Perry any pics yet?
Infrigate, I would love to see the bearing setup in the idler arm.

My Superrunner kit is getting up there in miles, the grease zerk at the pitman arm no longer works (even replaced, cleaned, etc) and I don't want to replace the superlift bushings again.

It has been a good kit but the BII wanders a bit mroe then it used to and it needs a rebuild.

I have my own ideas on how I am going to build this, but I would love to see what was done.

Perry I looked at your truck a few months back and we discussed the setup, I was impressed! thanks again for the tiki transport too :)

Any updates Perry?
No updates, I haven't done anything to the Explorer lately. I'm not sure what the parts were that the guy used as far as Chevy parts but I have been off road with it and it seems to be working.

Now my power steering pump is leaking so that is the next thing I have to fix but that won't happen for a couple months. Just don't have the extra money to put into the Explorer right now.

Did you have to re taper the pitman arm? or just open up the small side so the threads of the taper pin will pass through?

My linkage is cut I'm just waiting for a buddy to tap it for the TRE.

I got the TRE you listed and it comes up as an 83 Blazer TRE. The one I got looks no where near like the one you show. It's about the same size as the one that was cut off.

I got mine done but I didn't use the Chevy TRE. Count on Chevy to use a 7/8 UNEF thread for something. Not one machine shop locally had one. I didn't care to spend $250 Cdn for a tap I'll use for 2 min. Believe it or not but an M22x1.5 tap is easier to come by. By going that route I was able to use a RH D35 outer TRE. It may not be as large as the Chevy unit but if it's used else where, then it cat be all that bad. After checking the taper to the pitman arm, it fit perfect. A buddy of mine had an M22x1.5 tap and he tapped the link for me.

MoreBIV319.jpg

MoreBIV320.jpg

Thanks for the idea. I'm glad I saw this post. ;)

I am doing my Superrunner steering kit next, I found ALOT of slop in the swing arm at the tie rod end. Plan is similar, have it cut, tapped and ready to accept a standard dana 35 tie rod end like above.
I will be replacing all 4 of th eother superlift tie rod ends as well, the bushings in the pivot are new so that can wait (I am on a budget)

Thanks Perry for the idea and pics....

Hey guys. I recently purchased the superunner system, but have not installed yet. Would you suggest making this modification prior to the initial install? Also my lift is a rough country 4". I keep reading that the superunner system only works with superlift lift kits without fabbing a new bracket for the crossmember. But everything seems to line up, and looks like it should work fine, am i missing something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back