Perfect storm right before the trip: P2105, P2107, P2004, P2005, P2008, P0301, P060A, ... long read. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Perfect storm right before the trip: P2105, P2107, P2004, P2005, P2008, P0301, P060A, ... long read.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
As I mentioned in my other post, the day before we leave for a long trip including pulling a small camper, the car is acting up. It even stalls on me out of nowhere. I had some doubts if I am going to be able to complete the trip but everything was booked already, and I did not want to disapoint my 15 yr old daugher and wife: we've all been waiting for that. But when you see this on your torque app before you leave, it's not a cozy feeling:
0XCFUPg.jpg

But they all went away after that so we went on the trip.
On the first day driving 400 miles to get the trailer, the car was jerking and bucking at low rpm, it was fine at higher rpm. Finally it threw 301 so I knew I have a bad coils or spark plug. At the nearest Advance Auto they actually had Motorcraft coils and plugs so $70 later I had parts for cylinder # 1. Once on the campground, I swapped both coil and the plug, and after that the trip was relatively uneventful. I could tell that there is something else wrong but no codes popped up so I concluded that the sever misfire triggered those other codes. Just as a precaution, I threw an old throttle body from my old engine to have it with me just in case I need to swap it.
After we came home, and I went back to work, I started getting again the 200x codes, and then it stalled on me at least once a day. Since I had the Intake Runner Control Module on my old motor I took it off, and then swapped into the car:
bjOQlHv.jpg

SDLQCob.jpg

Put it all back together, started the car no problem, that was week ago Sunday afternoon. The next morning I get on the highway, and the engine is making a crazy noise, and then at some point stalls. I pull over, read the codes: 2004, 2005 and the worst 2105 - Forced Shut Down. I am thinking the first 2 codes are probably because my "new" runner control module came off the motor with 200k and sat in the shed for 4 years so maybe it's just bad. The 2105 was more concerning. But after restart all seems good again.
I ordered a brand new OEM runner control module for $180 and the following weekend the intake manifold comes off again....
And I want to kick myself when I see what I did: I crossed the control arms connecting the driver side to the upper pivot and vice versa. No wonder the engine was making those funny noises.
This is the final assembly and correct position:
FCPZPv7.jpg

I take it for a test drive, no more 2004 and 2005 but it stalls again !!!!! with 2107.
I take the old throttle body and swap it and all is beatifull since then, no codes, no kicking, no stalling. I believe all I needed for the 2107 was the throttle position sensor but I was too lazy and swapped the entire TB.
aR2VQu8.jpg

Hope it helps someone with those codes. The TPS is a common culprit on those electronic TB frorm that era. Ford introduced a new design of the TPS that is more reliable, need to get one and keep it handy in the garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang it.

It stalled on me twice today.
First got 2008 and 2105
Second time 2008 and 2110

I may have a short somewhere in the engine harness.

Replaced the TPS with the latest "square" design from Ford. Inspected the harness, saw some bare wires at the TPS connector, fixed those. I'll see in next few days if it stalls again.

Keep us posted, I admire your perseverance in keeping her on the road

Thanks Michael.
I am not giving up :)
It was good for 5 days and it stalled again when my wife borrowed it from me - perfect timing.
P2105 again.
It drives, but stumbles, hesitates at times. When pressed to accelerate, it will kick and drop rpms, then recover and so on. Almost like the throttle is not getting the signal from the gas pedal or I have severe misfire but no codes, or torque converter is is going bad or whole transmission.
I may end up taking it to the dealer to troubleshoot the issue.

I think all is good. The truck has been running perfect for the past 3 weeks.
I took another scanner and found cylinder 4 to have misfires. Replaced the coil and the sparkplug, and it still misfired, and stalled at times. Took a closer look and found that one of the wires on the plug connector was bare and most likely shorting or arching around.
Replaced the whole pig tail on that cylinder along with 3 more that looked suspicious or had the tabs broken.
The truck runs like new, we took it for a long trip into PA the other weekend and even the wife commented at the end that it's been a while since the car run so smooth.
At this point I am not even sure I needed a new TPS and the intake runner control.
It just shows again what a bad ignition component can cause on these motors. You can get completely unrelated error codes and just "chase the ghost" forever.

Glad you got it worked out. My 08 did about the same exact thing shortly after I got it. It shut down on the highway several times and illuminated the wrench icon a time or two. The dealer initially thought it was the throttle body acting up and was going to replace it, but they inspected the wiring harness more closely by pulling back the black outer covering and saw several frayed wires, including ones to the TPS. Once they replaced the wiring "pigtails" as they called them on both, it never experienced the issues again, and that was months ago. They thought mice or something similar could have chewed them in a couple spots which caused the bare wires to touch and cause all sorts of codes to show up.

Back