• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chips

Xceslimitd

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT Ranger 4x4
I'm looking to put a chip in my 96 Explorer Sport and was curious to which would be the best option. I've found the Diablo Sport, a Jet Performance Module, and a Power Chip. I think the Jet is the one I want to go with but I'm looking for some clarification and feedback from those who might have chips. NIck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

Jetchips aren't really favored around here for some reason. Most say go with the diablo chip.

i have a superchip and its awesome. the favorites around here are superchips, diablo chips, and some guys have the hypertech chip. a few guys have jet chips, but theyre about as favorable around here as a chevy :p

I had a Hypertech before I got my supercharger. I liked it very much. It helped with power, response, and tranny performance.

If you have an auto, you might be able to use my old chip. I'd sell it for a very good price :)

The Hypertech is about $200 from Autozone.

Alec,

Did you have to use premium fuel with the Hypertech chip? Is there a chip available that will allow you to use regular gas and still get some performance and fuel mileage benefits?

Go with the Superchip, i think its the best performance product for th emoney. the only downside is that you must run premium gas. oh well, its still worth it.you supposedly get 15hp

Hypertech

Alec, about your chip. I just checked out the Hypertech site and don't have chips, just programers. Is that what yours is or is it an actual chit.
Nick

my hypertech is incredible! i can't vouch for the relative performance of it over the others listed, but it made a much bigger improvement than i expected. also it's ability to change the tranny shifting has really made my truck faster. with the tuning and without the shift improving function my x was about 3 to 4 tenths slower 0-60 (this was not done scientifically) also i no hit about 68 before my truck shifts into third where before i got the chip it was closer to 55. i might be wrong, but i believe the other chips don't offer that function.

Its a plugin chip just like the superchip. It even comes with a gasket to reseal the computer with the added length. I did run 93 octane. You can get by with 91, but you'll lose performance and mileage: it'll go back closer to stock.

Back