performance exhaust for '91-'94 Sport 2 door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

performance exhaust for '91-'94 Sport 2 door

Reaction score
City, State
Lunenburg, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Does any company make a performance exhaust system for a '91-'94 Sport 2 dr? I've seen Sports online with Borla exhausts but I can't find one anywhere, the only exhaust i can find for a '91-'94 Explorer is for the 4 door, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a cat back Flowmaster system on my Navajo, same as the 91-94 Sport. Bought it about 4 years ago though, not sure if they still make it. Got it from Summit if I recall correctly.

you can get the Borla kit and hack out about 24" of it.

However your best bet is to just have your exhaust done at a local exhaust shop. Stainless if you want, but thats big bucks.

On my BII (shorter then sport, similar problem, lots of ranger kits, nobody makes it for my wheelbase) I had mine built, very similar to your sport (dont forget I have an Explorer drivetrain)

from the Headers back I had a custom Y pipe built to fit my custom auto tranny, then 2.5" pipe into a 2.5" high flow cat, out straight shot into a single in, single out 2.5" Magnaflow muffler, straight out the back 2.5"

Works great with teh OHV 4.0L and all my intake mods.....

This is something I'm planning to do eventually... my shields are all rusting off and I'm sure I'll see holes soon enough.

Is the Catback a lot louder than stock? I'm just looking for a long life and a nice deep throughty sound without it being really loud.

Ed

Ask Brett Grooms, he welded a Flowmaster muffler into his stock Sport exhaust and it sounds great!
Not near as loud as my truck but his 4.0L is stock and I know it sounds great.........

You can always buy whatever muffler you want (Borla, Flowy, Magnaflow, Thrush, Cherrybomb, Gibson) and then have a shop do 2.5" mandrel bent pipes. This is what I did. Essentially, I got a cat-back for $150. It's easy for a shop to do this, they have pipe benders and the whole 9 yards.

Rhett be careful, mandrel bending is something only a few select shops can do, in fact I have only found 1 place in all of Colorado that can do it.

However you dont really need it for an Explorer, the bends a typical exhaust shop can do flow just fine....we are not talking 10 second 1/4 mile track cars here, or forced induction.

I paid $450 total to my exhaust guy including new cat and muffler with custom hangers and 2.5" pipe from the Y pipe all teh way back.........not a bad deal.

Now on the other hand Borla Stainless exhaust systems are VERY HIGH quality, in fact I have never seen such a nice aftermarket exhaust system. HBut since they dont make a system that bolts onto a sport its a shame to buy one then hack it up........plus they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Things have changed in the aftermarket support for our old dogs I guess. I remember deciding on the $$ Borla stainless system for my Navajo when I ordered the cheaper Flowmaster cat back. No longer available huh? Thats too bad.

My Flowmaster system sounds pretty good, many have mistaken that I swapped a V8 into it from the rumble it puts out. In fact, I just installed Borla headers and a Borla Y on my V10 Super Duty, had a shop do some custom links to the stock cat (no, they were not mandrel bent, didn't find the right shop!) and had a magnaflow muffler installed. Sounds like a VW Bus now, my Flowmaster 4.0 Navajo sounds way better.

410, What shop in CO did you find that can bend mandrel? I used Bud's per some advice on another board.

I had a custom "mandrel bent" exaust built with a flow master 2.5 exit and it has been great for performance I spent about 350.00 for it though. I actualy felt the differance when I left the shop. I get one put on every vehicle I buy combined with a K&N filter and this was the most dramatic improvement of any of them.

I had a shop do my custom exhaust on my 93 sport. Flowmaster and I did a single in dual out set up for the time being soon it will be actual dual flowmasters from the cat-back

So is the one I have in that link a decent system or is it really only a little better than stock? I'm guessing it is not a bolt-on system, so I'll probably have to get it welded if I were to buy it right?

Ed

Go with the Flowmaster cat back system for your 94 Sport 2 door. I'm assuming you have a 4.0. Got mine from bigexhaust.com delivered to my door for under $200. Bolted right on with no mods or welding required. Nice rumble and slightly larger intermedate pipe/tailpipe. Very satisfied with this product!

That sounds good newbi. The only thing that is a little dissapointing is that its not stainless, but I guess when there's not much out there.... :)

Ed

Its all treated tubing...been to the coast several times and no signs of deterioration. I did end up welding the pipes to the muffler instead of using the clamps.

Ed originally I wanted stainless for my 94 Sport. But then I decided I'd rather paint the pipe black (with hi-temp paint) since I hate chrome, but yet I wanted something to protect the pipe. Plus I weighed cost of all stainless vs. aluminized pipe ($150 total vs $400+ total) and it's just not there. I'd rather blow my money on performance mods on my truck, and aluminized pipe works as good as stainless.

Thanks for the advise guys, sounds like the stainless isn't really worth the extra bux... I just want something that will last and sound good and won't break the bank and it sounds like this Flowmaster might be my ticket. :)

Ed

Back