Performance Exhaust SOHC Sport?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I would like to upgrade my exhaust and was wondering what my options were? I have only found one cat back system made by Gibson, which does not thrill me to much. I wanted something by Borla, Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

My other option was to go to a local custom guy and have him fab something up using one of the above mufflers. Does anyone know how much a custom job should cost, just basic cat back, 2.5" Aluminum pipe and flowmaster or Magnaflow.

Has anyone done any custom exhaust work on a sport? Maybe Duals coming out the back or side?

Surprising but the stock muffler sounds good, nice and throaty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have recently put the Mac cat back on my 98 SOHC. You can check it out if you want. If I new how to load up sound files I would have one. But it is a throaty sounding. I have had several compliments on it the past month.

Laterz
Rage

Custom is the way to go; should cost $200-300.

Good luck ..........

Thanks I will check out the Mac. I think your right Al I will go see Lou's Custom Exhaust on Monday.

Very nice X Rage and under tough circumstances to.... :usa:

Lazzman said:
I would like to upgrade my exhaust and was wondering what my options were? I have only found one cat back system made by Gibson, which does not thrill me to much. I wanted something by Borla, Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

My other option was to go to a local custom guy and have him fab something up using one of the above mufflers. Does anyone know how much a custom job should cost, just basic cat back, 2.5" Aluminum pipe and flowmaster or Magnaflow.

Has anyone done any custom exhaust work on a sport? Maybe Duals coming out the back or side?

Surprising but the stock muffler sounds good, nice and throaty.
None have done side exhaust, the concept is just far to off the wall.
Like me :D

Attachments

• Mvc-021s.jpg
    Mvc-021s.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 294

Hey Lazzman

Is Lou's Custom Exhaust in Fitchburg?? If memory serves me correct I remember seeing it when i was doing some work up that way last year. i wanted to stop in but never got the chance to.

I have a 98 sport also and was looking to do my exhaust also. let me know what Lou says.

I have monday off....maybe i can meet you up there.

Lazzman said:
Thanks I will check out the Mac. I think your right Al I will go see Lou's Custom Exhaust on Monday.

Very nice X Rage and under tough circumstances to.... :usa:

Thanks Lazz, and if I was in the states I would have gone with a custom job. If you have the resources.... go for it...... Good luck.... and get some pics on here after the job is done.

Laterz

While we are on it, I’m doing the Exhaust on mine next week 4.0 V6 SOHC.

What I have planed is keep the 2win CAT’s and 2win 2.25-inch pipes going back to the muffler, as it is all Stainless Steel, Then replace the stock muffler with a “Lukey” Hi Flow (Basically a straight thru muffler) and then exit thru a single 2.25-inch tail pipe.

The second half (New half) of the Exhaust, Muffler back will be Mild steel, stainless is to $$$.

So all you experienced X owners will the Hi-Flow muffler eliminate to much back pressure out of the System and effect the engine power, I think keeping the original 2.25-Inch pipe on the system would make it OK, or am I going to lose Low end Pull.

Any thought’s

Nice spindle, just like the lightnin. Lou's is in North Reading and he has another one in Danvers on RT1 south. He is supposed to be the Guru.

Will post picks when job is done....

Back