Performance Improvements after Maintanence | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance Improvements after Maintanence

oso2324

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
My 1999 Explorer Sport AWD has just recently had routine maintanence done at 100K miles - oil and oil filter change (dino 5W30), spark plug change (Bosch Double plats), new plug wires (Autocraft 8mm) front and rear differential fluid (synthetic) changed, power steering fluid syphoned out and replaced with new fluid, cooling system flush, new brakes and rotors (Wagner), brake lines flushed and fluid replaced. I also did a SeaFoam treatment to the oil prior to changing and did the intake through the braker booster hose. Bottom line is the vehicle has never run so smooth.

I do have a question though. I just got back from a tirty minute drive where cruise control was set at 70 mph. The tach registered a steady 2500 rpm at that speed. Is that about the right rpm's?

Also has anybody bought the Scanguage. How much does it cost and is it worth the price?

Thanks, Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rpm's sound about right, on my 5.0L it runs about 2200 or so rpms at 70. The Scangauge cost 129.95 (includes shipping). I have not used this before, but it seems to be reasonably priced for what it offers ( http://www.scangauge.com/ ).

I have a scanguage and I am very happy with it.

I found the trip info to be very useful as well.

I noticed a big improvement in shifting when I had the tranny flushed and fluid changed at 70K. Shifting is so smooth now!

Just out of curiosity what is the seafoam treatment?

kona

konaboy said:
I noticed a big improvement in shifting when I had the tranny flushed and fluid changed at 70K. Shifting is so smooth now!
kona

Just had my tranny serviced a couple of weeks ago, same experience.

konaboy said:

Just out of curiosity what is the seafoam treatment?

kona

Do a search for seafoam....you will get like a billion hits on the subject. It is great stuff that cleans out carbon deposits in the engine and dirt in the oil.

not the seafoam word again...

Back