• Register Today It's free!

Performance mods

willys5555

Reaction score
City, State
Spring TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
What performance mods have you done to your explorer? I have a 1997 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L 2wd 4dr. I want to get some more horse power to my engine. I like speed. :) but i dont want to do anything that i have to do any major changes to my engine as I dont have the knowledge to do it my self and dont have the money to have someone else to do it. I guess what i am looking for is reffered to as "bolt on horse power". what can i get that does this? An intake is one i was thinking about. Where is the best place to get one and what kind? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

p.s. you are welcome to post your mods just to "show off" if you would like. I enjoy looking at explorers with modifications done to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

click on "My Explorer " in my signature.

I think you will like it :)

it already said what mods i did to my explorer on my signature but i wanna do more to her

I offer a MAC cold air intake for your application as well as tuning. But unfortunatly there aren't any u/d pulleys for your application. As far as intakes, I recommend the MAC over the KKM. It looks alot more flashier. Stay away from cheap imitations (from Ebay-made in China models), generally the silicone connectors tear and the filter isn't reuseable. Necessitating repurchase of a quality unit later. Good luck in your power endeavor-j

I offer a MAC cold air intake for your application as well as tuning. But unfortunatly there aren't any u/d pulleys for your application. As far as intakes, I recommend the MAC over the KKM. It looks alot more flashier. Stay away from cheap imitations (from Ebay-made in China models), generally the silicone connectors tear and the filter isn't reuseable. Necessitating repurchase of a quality unit later. Good luck in your power endeavor-j

Will pullys for a 5.0L mustang work, all it is is a crank, waterpump, and alternator pullys. Should be the same.

ok i need to know what the tooth count of my drive gear is and what my rear axle ratio is. It is all stock. I have a 1997 explorer v8 5.0l engine 2wd. does any one know what this is or know where i can find it? thanks

ok so now how do i find out what my tooth count of the drive gear is? Thanks

i am not sure what i am talking about :p: i was emailing with a guy about getting a new gear so my speedo will be correct. he wants to know what the tooth count of my drive gear is. Does any one know what this is? Thanks

41T4AKZ8F2L._SS500_.jpg

K&N 57-2513-1 Fuel Injection Performance Kit Air Intake Kit
List Price: $241.95
Price: $136.04 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping​

ok so my explorer is 2 wheel drive and i like 4 wheel drive. so i am debating whether i should go and buy a new vehicle. Is it possible to convert mine to 4wd? how hard would it be and how much money? I am assuming i would have to get a whole new suspension and everything. Could i go to a junk yard and find my car buy 4wd and take that suspension and drive shafts and put it in mine or will that not work. Thanks for your help.

Wow this thread has been here a while and not one single mentioned of headers ??
First thing anyone will tell you down in the Need For Speed section - which is where this ought to be moved to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'm going to be the first to Say Torque Monster Headers!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Back