• Register Today It's free!

performance parts

TwoX

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac xlt
Where can i find a performance mass airflow? i found one from jet but it says for a 2006 explorer so i dont think it will work on my 04 st,

I found shorty headers but does anyone make long tube for the st?

and i still cant find any cams for the 4.0, i would of thought they made some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at C&L for the maf body, it uses the stock electronics, just in a bigger tube. I haven't seen any long tube headers for the sohc but the consensus is that headers are not needed as the stock manifolds flow very well. So save them for last on your list of performance mods. And cams are available, there are a couple of companies that sell them, some searching on the forum should reveal them (I'm a v8 guy so I don't know many specifics on the sohc).

I haven't seen any long tube headers for the sohc but the consensus is that headers are not needed as the stock manifolds flow very well.
Yeah, looking at the headers EE is selling, I was thinking to myself, those don't look like much of an improvement on the stock manifolds except for being shiny(at least when they are new).

But, the Random Technology Y-pipe is probably a decent exhaust mod. There's probably some ST owners on here that could attest to that.

as for exhaust im getting true dual no cats just 2 glass packs.

i have single in dual out running from the cats no muffler now and i want it louder with more pop

JBA has made 4.0 SOHC headers for a while. Todd Z installed a set and claims little if any difference. Not that the headers are bad, it's just that the stock manifolds are pretty good.
Speaking of, Zabteck has 4.0 MAF's. www.zabteck.com
I am not aware of any aftermarket cams for the 4.0 SOHC. Since the '05-up Mustang uses the 4.0 SOHC as the base engine, there might be some more parts for it now.

is the zabtek maf the mass air flow sensor or just a bigger tube? i was told that just adding a bigger tube wouldnt really make as much difference as if having a performance maf, and the headers i saw where on summitracing, but im wondering if parts from new vehicles will work if its the same engine?

is the zabtek maf the mass air flow sensor or just a bigger tube?
I don't know.

the headers i saw where on summitracing, but im wondering if parts from new vehicles will work if its the same engine?
I'm not aware that Summit sells JBA, if they're another brand of header they may be for the old 4.0 OHV. As far as I've ever known, JBA is the only company that makes 4.0 SOHC headers and they're pricey as hell. General concensus is that the headers themselves don't add much unless you have a supercharger or a lot of other speed parts.

my advice, save your money. the 4.0 is not a performance oriented motor. I dumped a lot of money into my old 4.0 ohv, and it didnt give me much.

Headers wont give you anything that will offset the cost and trouble to get them installed. Also, why do you think you need a bigger maf? have you calculated the airflow requirements of your engine and determined that the stock maf diameter is too small?

my advice, save your money. the 4.0 is not a performance oriented motor. I dumped a lot of money into my old 4.0 ohv, and it didnt give me much.

Headers wont give you anything that will offset the cost and trouble to get them installed. Also, why do you think you need a bigger maf? have you calculated the airflow requirements of your engine and determined that the stock maf diameter is too small?

He has a sohc version, not the ohv that you had. The sohc is a very capable motor, and is actually faster than the 302 at the track stock vs. stock.

Back