• Register Today It's free!

Performance upgrades. Help?

kwagner2010

Reaction score
City, State
Novato, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Eddie Bauer
Hey there fellas i was just wondering if any one had any references for good places to get some nice Exhaust,intake,chips, suspension/handling mods/upgrades. Thanks!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ebay.com

Things to avoid:

Cold air intake, basically anything claiming to be an intake that improves horsepower that isn't a replacement of the actual intake manifold (expensive)

"chips", cheap performance "mods" claiming +50 HP, +mpg etc that are just little diodes or silly resistors that won't do anything.

Also, don't expect to get any performance out of an "exhaust" either (unless your referring to an entire system, headers and all). An aftermarket muffler will sound different but your performance won't change at all.

I disagree,a turbo muffler and a KKM cold air intake made my 94 4.0 run like a rocket.It was an amazing difference.:D

Ebay.com

Things to avoid:

Cold air intake, basically anything claiming to be an intake that improves horsepower that isn't a replacement of the actual intake manifold (expensive)

"chips", cheap performance "mods" claiming +50 HP, +mpg etc that are just little diodes or silly resistors that won't do anything.

Also, don't expect to get any performance out of an "exhaust" either (unless your referring to an entire system, headers and all). An aftermarket muffler will sound different but your performance won't change at all.

Why would i want to avoid cold air intakes? and chips?and i just want an exhaust for sound and maybe couple HPs but thats about it. i was planning on getting a K&N cold air intake and a Flowmaster exhaust. is that Good? Bad? Okay?:smoke:
thx for the help guys appreciate it

explorerexpress.com has some good suspension mods and other stuff.

oh got it. im just saying cold or not.

Sorry, I ment "cool" as in "cold" :)

They won't hurt anything, but any performance gains are in your head. a full k&n "cold air intake" will net you about 2 hp and a simple muffler, 2 if that.

Im just saying. Iv tried them before, theyre definitely cool but they just aren't serious performance mods.

...there are couple of reasons that things or "mods" get doen to any car, truck or SUV...one of those is...IT JUST LOOKS GOOD! In some cases that's enough of a reason. That air intake system on ebay...LOOKS GOOD! Does it enhance performance...to me it doesn't make any difference. I'm going to snag one of those for my modded 1st gen project...
The way it looks is part of the performance!
As soon as I get the pictures thing figured out I'll post progress shots of
"the sport." It's been fun and expensive so far. I get laughed at when I go to the speed shop asking about stuff. When I describe the project they understand!

I just figured I'd point it out, since the title of the thread is performance upgrades. Seems like he's looking for some cheap hp.

i had one more question. how would i go about removing the speed limiter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just my $0.02 A cold air intake is always worth it, if the engine is modded or not. The increase in gas mileage alone is enough to justify getting one. Plus it does add noticable torque, maybe not horse power. Same goes for the exhaust.

As a side note, the 5.0 is the easiest and cheapest explorer engine to mod by far, especially if you start talking internal parts. Basically its unlimited in potential if the pocket book is large enough..

Back