Performance with and with/out Apten (towing included). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance with and with/out Apten (towing included).

rvitek

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wauconda, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT 5.0
Performance Review with and with/out Apten Chip (towing included).

Hi - I've really been absent from this board since I bought a boat this year, but I still come back from time to time to see what's going on...

Anyway, I thought I'd give some overservations regarding my performance with and without the Apten chip, and focus a bit on towing.

First things first, wow - the tranny really shifts smoothly without the Apten chip. But at the same time, I can also feel the tranny slip or s-l-i-d-e into gear. With the Apten in, it's a thump-shift and on my way. I guess it takes a bit of getting used to, but I have to think the slip-less shifting of the Apten has got to be better.

Second thing, I can't believe the power the chip delivers over stock. Towing a 5500lb boat at 55mph in nearly flat terrain, the tranny can't decide if she wants third gear or over-drive. With the chip in, it's a solid overdrive with plenty of room to spare. I can totally tell that this chip is developing some massive performance increases to the vehicle, especially in the low-end torque grunt.

Finally, the pure press-you-into-your-seat low-end grunt the chip give my truck. It's unbelievable the difference between the torque the motor develops with the chip in and out. It's awesome over stock!

I do have a few problems with the chip, that I'm working with Brian on about, but overall, great guy and a great product!

Ry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wave.gif

:D

I'm running the 89 program... I get a little gain for a little extra a gallon ;)

Foo, you're the only one i've heard use an 89 program. How does it run? I figure I'll go with a single and program it that route because I would never want to pay premium prices. Oftentimes, the 89 is cheaper than the 87 too...

I have the 89 program. Trust me, its not the 93 program, but its there and you can feel it. As the weather here has gone from 99 degrees to 85 degrees, its amazing how much more I can feel my truck pull. I need to replace both of my 02 sensors so I think thats robbing me of a few ponies, but overall its night and day. I drive ocasionally with the chip turned off, and man alive I can't stand it ;)

I also feel it's a great product that's backed by excellent customer service. :cool:

Back