• Register Today It's free!

perpetual starting problem

AWCarlson

Reaction score
City, State
Winona, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
I've had troubles with my '94 explorer starting for a while now. I can start it up in the morning, drive somewhere, and come back in 5 minutes or an hour and it wont start. After letting it sit for about an hour sometime more it will fire right up and drive fine. At first the crank shaft sensor was fixed and that worked for a while. About a year later it had the same problem, After more episodes of not starting, waiting and starting and eventually it not starting at all, I got it diagonosed as a fuel pump and had that replaced. Another 8 months or so later and it won't start again. I had it diagnosed again as a fuel pump issue and had another installed about a week ago. Now, again, it is not starting after being driven, but after sitting for an hour it fires right up. Any thoughts on what it could be besides a fuel pump??

fuel pump relay should be located by the right side fender in the engine compartment.

Sounds like a fault in the wiring to the fuel pump rather than the fuel pump itself (fuel pump relay as suggested by KobeJ05 is one candidate). I would suggest a thorough inspection of the fuel pump circuit.

Back