Pfffft and they said I couldn't..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pfffft and they said I couldn't.....

racinhound-Dale

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis,IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 2dr with some dents
Make it any more redneck......Debuting the new paint at Attica this past weekend

mar2316.jpg

Went ahead and ramped while I was there

O yea Rick I snapped one of your old Bilsteins this weekend too:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just dont end up like most hillbillys- "HEY WATCH THIS:" but uhhh.... that looks like the Buick derby car we made. no top and had to nutural drop it all the time. but i mean the paint job.

Hillbillies are funny! :D

You snapped a Bilstein? Holy crap... how??

I like the rig!

Not exactly sure how I did it but I put a wristed arm on Saturday night and heard a LOUD PING playin in Purgatory Sunday morning and thought I lost another u-joint cap but they checked ok. So went about my business and later on in the day noticed it.Here are the pics from the weekend that I had And the attachment is the busted Bilstein :(

Attachments

• ramp7.jpg
    ramp7.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 206

I can see what happened. The mount needs to be relocated 90 degrees so the bolt goes through front to back instead of side to side. That will let the heim work like it should working with the twist of the axle. That's how they are doing the mounts on my coil overs.

You can see there is quite a misalignment between the top mount and the bottom mount when it's twisted up like that.

The top or the bottom mount?

What't with the welded U-joint caps?

Damn that Bronco looked stuck!

Both mounts should be aimed front to rear... Once my fab guy told me that I started noticing that's how they're setup on most of the coilover rock crawlers.
P1301343.jpg
P1301358.jpg

When you look at it you can see how this allows the shock to swing side to side with the axle.

Originally posted by Rick
What't with the welded U-joint caps?

Damn that Bronco looked stuck!

Unfortunately when I popped the joint it spread the Moser's yokes out and it wouldn't retain the clip very well so we tacked the caps for added strength. Yea he was STUCK took winching and me tugging to get him out:D

That sucks about the Mosers... I have a set waiting to go in. Unless I blow my current setup, I'm going to wait until I get some CTM U-joints before putting them in.

bottom mount. re-mount it so the lower shock bolt runs front-to-back instead of side-to-side. look at your lower shock mount in the picture and you'll figure out what Rick is saying.

Both mounts actually... Then the whole shock can swing in harmony with the axle.

oh well. not fast enough response, i guess.

No I understand what he is saying. I guess I just didn't think about the extra binding effect the wristed arm was going to have. Rick why did you go with the Moser's? I did because they were local to me here in Indiana wanted to support the hometown company. Now after looking into it more I wish I had gotten the Warns. And now especially after this weekend I see why. Moser does not heat treat the yokes and Warn does. Moser adds more beef to the yokes instead which causes them to stretch easier. I gotta admit though I was able to get back in and beat the crap outta that truck this weekend and I pooped the joint about an hour into Saturday. So the Mosers aren't all that bad. Just wish I would have gotten Warn's.

The Warns aren't totally bullet proof either. I have them do what your's did too. I went with Moser because that's what I had used in my race car.

Best thing about the Warn's is you can get a lifetime warranty if you get them through a certain 4x4 shop. Just can't remember which one!

I'm hoping the CTMs will just not blow keeping the axles in one piece. I suppose I could just break the ears off though.

Back