Phenolic Spacer source for 1997 MM 5.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Phenolic Spacer source for 1997 MM 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Lee's Automotive All of the 4.0 SOHCs have a unique rattle to them. Some just worse. On this forum there is at least a half of a ream of paper worth of discussion and repair. @donalds might know near exactly how many pages.:D:laugh:
Yeah, but I'd prefer not to have the chain jump through the hood lol

Jebuss lets agree to disagree

I think with proper oil changes ect...
It will last a long time unless you beat the crap out of it

I think with proper oil changes ect...
It will last a long time unless you beat the crap out of it
I mean the guides are gone on the rear valve cover and it rattles worse when hot

Seems like you know the problem exists and what it takes to fix it
Guides wear out its just a ***** to change them

Do you want me to lie to you ?

Seems like you know the problem exists and what it takes to fix it
Guides wear out its just a ***** to change them

Do you want me to lie to you ?
Nope not at all im just waiting for the funds to come along to do the work it has 265k on it should i just find another engine?

Depends on your skill level
Cost how much you can afford to spend
Time your truck is down
ECT.....

Depends on your skill level
Cost how much you can afford to spend
Time your truck is down
ECT.....
I mean i walk to work so it don't matter how long its down

4.0 SOHC is a jam up hotrod engine. FoMoCo did 2 things wrong when they designed it. They didn't make it in car serviceable as far as the timing chains unlike the 4.6 where both long chains are on the front or however the 4.6 is configured, I haven't had a 4.6 apart yet, I do have one to fix though. And the second thing is the hydraulic tensioner issue. But we know how to fix that in chassis. All the info is here on the Explorer forum if someone does a search. I've repeated myself too much about this. Like I said and @donalds will totally agree, there could be 250 pages related to 4.0 SOHC. Yes, they are difficult to work on. A person could make a living just specializing in 4.0 SOHCs.

Ditto, I was among the first to fix mine in 2005 and I've watched many many others come and post their examples, posting less and less about it myself.

The manual tensioners seem to be a great answer for the external issue, but the internal issues are worse and obviously much harder and expensive to do. Any SOHC can be saved if it's not driven too much after the chains get loose and the noise begins. You are risking it while driving it, that the cost later will be way higher than the timing chain issues. If the rear is worn out(plastic guides), then the engine or trans has to come out, so plan to do that.

Ditto, I was among the first to fix mine in 2005 and I've watched many many others come and post their examples, posting less and less about it myself.

The manual tensioners seem to be a great answer for the external issue, but the internal issues are worse and obviously much harder and expensive to do. Any SOHC can be saved if it's not driven too much after the chains get loose and the noise begins. You are risking it while driving it, that the cost later will be way higher than the timing chain issues. If the rear is worn out(plastic guides), then the engine or trans has to come out, so plan to do that.
is the chains jumping the worse case scenario?

If the chains get too loose, they will jump teeth and the pistons will hit the valves. That will kill the engine immediately. Fix it before the chains get too loose.

If the chains get too loose, they will jump teeth and the pistons will hit the valves. That will kill the engine immediately. Fix it before the chains get too loose.
10-4 ill be on that soon

4.0 SOHC is a jam up hotrod engine. FoMoCo did 2 things wrong when they designed it. They didn't make it in car serviceable as far as the timing chains unlike the 4.6 where both long chains are on the front or however the 4.6 is configured, I haven't had a 4.6 apart yet, I do have one to fix though. And the second thing is the hydraulic tensioner issue. But we know how to fix that in chassis. All the info is here on the Explorer forum if someone does a search. I've repeated myself too much about this. Like I said and @donalds will totally agree, there could be 250 pages related to 4.0 SOHC. Yes, they are difficult to work on. A person could make a living just specializing in 4.0 SOHCs.

So, did the Mustang owners ('05 - '10) have to yank the SOHC's to fix the timing sets, or did Ford put better parts in by then?

So, did the Mustang owners ('05 - '10) have to yank the SOHC's to fix the timing sets, or did Ford put better parts in by then?
Good question

All of the SOHC tensioners are fragile components, they are not as robust as they should be. The internal tensioners are a combination of thin strips of steel, sandwiched with a plastic wear piece that the chains rides against. They haven't changed that design, so none of the 4.0 SOHC's are as reliable as they should be.

Projectthread068.JPG

@efBrianM I think the '05-'10 Mustang engine is identical except the cam may be a little better in the Rangers and Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Given the constraints of the design, are the aftermarket people able to improve on the weak parts?

Back