PIAA 9007 died | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIAA 9007 died

Yep died this afternoon. Been about a year Im gonna replace them. Are the Xtreme White Plus 9007 bulbs better than the superwhites? Also looking at upgrading the bulbs in my 520 SMR to either 85W superwhite or 55W Xtreme white. Which is better guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For one thing i believe you may be mixing up your wattages...the 55 watt bulb means 55 watts are required, but i think they throw a 85-100 something watt light. I don't know if there are any bulbs that actually REQUIRE 85 watts because that is extremely steep...i think you misread it for an 85 watt output. I had the PIAA 9007 Xtreme whites...took the truck up to tahoe and drove around in sub zero temp and a light blew. 9007's suck. But if you had the choice, xtreme white over super whites. you should check out solaris bulbs at www.autosupermart.com they make much whiter light than the piaa's.

Check out Sylvannia's SilverStar bulbs. I've heard a lot of great things about them.

Hey i was using 9007 55W superwhites which are the same wattage as stock. The 520 SMRs also have 55Ws but can accomodate 85W bulbs. I understand its a no no to go beyond recomended spec. I learned that before when i upgraded my stock H1 fogs with 80W hiper bulbs. 2 weeks later they exploded.

One of my PIAAs blew last week, I replaced them both with the Sylvania Silverstars. I havent noticed a difference in light output and the Sylvania are ~$30.00 cheaper.

I want to upgrade my headlight bulbs soon. I was at AutoZone the other say and saw those Silverstar bulbs, I've heard good things about them too, but the price turned me off, for now. $25 per bulb, ouch.

i just last friday had to replace my second set of 9007 superwhites. this is now my third set in one year! luckily with this set i was able to use the piaa warranty and got them for nothing. by contrast, my wife still has the original set i bought her last february. so far out of six bulbs in my truck, i have had three burn out, but i still believe they are an excellent product and i prolly just got some bad ones.

Unless you are going for the looks I wouldnt get Solaris. I had some and they also fade out in the rain and you cant see as well as stock 9007s.
I just ordered some high wattage hella optilux xenon bulbs for $30 a pair. I'll let you know how they do.
My piaa 9007's lasted about a yr 1/2. Other ones 9006 & 9004 are still going strong and have been used more. Must be something about the 9007 design.

yeah I'm not sure what it is with the 9007 design. My PIAA superwhites 9007 also lasted about a year and half. The headlights in my explorer (been in there for about three years now) haven't burned out yet, although granted I haven't been driving it at night very much for the past year or so...

Back