PIAA 9007 Remarks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIAA 9007 Remarks

Well, I've had them for a few days now. I want to share my thoughts on them. At night, the change is drastic. You can tell the difference from the yellowish regular lights to the new white. The look (head on) of the lights is impressive. They have a nice, clean super-white look. When sitting in the driver's seat, you barely can see the turning blinker reflection on the road in front of you when driving due to their brightness.

In the day (not dusk or dawn), the color appears to be the regular headlight color. Today was an overcast day, and they appeared to be like normal headlamps. On a sunny day a few days ago, same result. But, of course, headlights are meant for inclement weather and night. So, the day time look is really pointless to me. However, they were cleaner than the old stock headlamps in daylight.

The change is most noticable when driving on a highway or wherever you and another automobile can ride side by side. The PIAAs light the road much better and have a cleaner, more contemporary look. I guess it's because so few (compared to the millions of cars out there) have the superwhite style. In a world where the Explorer is on every street, having something like these can really set yours apart.

Was it worth the $60+ to get them? Well, the jury is still out on it. I mean, I love the *look*, but as for function, have I ever hit something or swerved because I didn't see it at night? No. But, I do feel more confident that I can see more than I did before, so that if something ever does pop out, I can avoid it.

One warning. This does not just go for PIAA, but for ANY headlamp change. The left lamp is a piece of cake to get out and change. The right, in front of the battery... well, let's say it's difficulty can be measured in expletives. It took me about 45 minutes and a few cuts to get it changed. And wear gloves when actually touching the bulb. I used a pair of fleece ones that I am sure kept any oils from your skin from coming in contact with the bulb.

Have PIAA 9006/9007s? What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have them as well, and I agree 100% with your evaluation, especially the installation! (My hands are still recovering!) One thing I do have to say is, you gotta get the superwhite fogs to match! Looks sweeeet.....

superwhite FOGS

I have been trying to figure out what kind of fogs i have for 2 days now. Finally figured out they are H1. PIAA makes no H1 superwhites. But they look JUST LIKE the 9005s!!! So ill wait for my 9007s to arrive and try to figure out the fogs bulbs.

It might seem to take longer, but especially in dog years it is quicker and less painfull to take the battery out when changing the bulbs. Good time to inspect and clean the terminals also.

Well Adam, after hearing that, I might just get some. I've been thinking about it for awhile now, and you just helped me make up my mind.

Yes, thank you very much. You guys have made up my mind too. I also agree with Sideswipe and the superwhite fogs. My Christmas present to me. (if I can afford them)

Stephen, if your talking about your stock fog lights, depending on what model of light your fog's are, PIAA may or may not make a bulb that fits. I know that Soupbone and I have been trying to figure out what kind of bulb his uses, because all of them list the bulbs as H3's, but so far I haven't found a single one that actually is H3. He was thinking his looked like an H1 which may also work as a 9005, he's checking into that...

Matt, My truck doesn't have factory fogs. I'm interested in some aftermarket fogs and/or driving lights. Thinking about PIAA and Catz.

ok well I'll leave you to your decision... it's a toughy, theres lots of lights out there. Just a reminder though, if you want the PIAA's and decide in a hurry... the deadline for the FIRST round of lights is probably going ot be in about a week or so, after that we will most likely do another purchase but it might take two weeks or so.

Originally posted by AdamCKach
Well, I've had them for a few days now. I want to share my thoughts on them. At night, the change is drastic. You can tell the difference from the yellowish regular lights to the new white. The look (head on) of the lights is impressive. They have a nice, clean super-white look. When sitting in the driver's seat, you barely can see the turning blinker reflection on the road in front of you when driving due to their brightness.

In the day (not dusk or dawn), the color appears to be the regular headlight color. Today was an overcast day, and they appeared to be like normal headlamps. On a sunny day a few days ago, same result. But, of course, headlights are meant for inclement weather and night. So, the day time look is really pointless to me. However, they were cleaner than the old stock headlamps in daylight.

The change is most noticable when driving on a highway or wherever you and another automobile can ride side by side. The PIAAs light the road much better and have a cleaner, more contemporary look. I guess it's because so few (compared to the millions of cars out there) have the superwhite style. In a world where the Explorer is on every street, having something like these can really set yours apart.

Was it worth the $60+ to get them? Well, the jury is still out on it. I mean, I love the *look*, but as for function, have I ever hit something or swerved because I didn't see it at night? No. But, I do feel more confident that I can see more than I did before, so that if something ever does pop out, I can avoid it.

One warning. This does not just go for PIAA, but for ANY headlamp change. The left lamp is a piece of cake to get out and change. The right, in front of the battery... well, let's say it's difficulty can be measured in expletives. It took me about 45 minutes and a few cuts to get it changed. And wear gloves when actually touching the bulb. I used a pair of fleece ones that I am sure kept any oils from your skin from coming in contact with the bulb.

Have PIAA 9006/9007s? What do you think?

You just made me want to buy a pair of those lights.

You guys won't be disappointed. I recommend getting a piece of the group purchase if you're going to get them. :)

I agree with the evaluation on the PIAA 9007 bulbs. They are much more noticeable at night. I feel that upgrading the fog lights to superwhite color is very important because the combination of both sets of lights gives the explorer a more even illumination. I have the newer round foglights and I bought H1 superwhites made by Hiper from autobulbdepot.com. They run at a higher wattage but really light up the road and they match the PIAA in color. Be very careful installing them though. Absolutely do not touch the bulb anywhere with your hand or with anything.

H1

This looks like it should work! But they dont seem to be the same color temp as the 9007s looking at the spec. Will higher wattage (80w) HIPER bulb cause any problems with the stock wiring harness?

PA11455 PIAA bulb-H1 55=100w XTRA clear

Maybe Matt can get these H1s for us with the round fogs.

[Edited by soupbone on 12-09-2000 at 10:58 PM]

Re: H1

Originally posted by soupbone
This looks like it should work! But they dont seem to be the same color temp as the 9007s looking at the spec. Will higher wattage (80w) HIPER bulb cause any problems with the stock wiring harness?

PA11455 PIAA bulb-H1 55=100w XTRA clear

Maybe Matt can get these H1s for us with the round fogs.

[Edited by soupbone on 12-09-2000 at 10:58 PM]

I can get a price for those if you'd like, but keep in mind those H1's are not superwhite, they are clear bulbs. I'm sure they are brighter, but they might not match perfectly with the superwhite headlights.

Naaaa I dont want the PIAA H1 clears. They arent the same color temp. But I wonder about putting a 80w bulb in place of the 55w one.. Do you have to upgrade the fuse for the increased current draw?

I have left the Hiper H1 bulbs on for several hours and have had no problems. I inspected the wiring but there doesn't seem to be any problems. I have used 80/100 watt bulbs in the headlight of a different car and there were never any problems. They don't seem to last as long as a lower wattage bulb though. But they are quite a bit brighter and match in color. Be very careful not to touch the glass part of the bulb at all.

You said they dont last as long? The bulbs already went out already? Or are you just comparing the life to a the standard 55w bulb that is stock? Yea and I know that human skin oils will cause the bulb to explode.

Thanks

My H1 Hiper bulbs are still new. I haven;t had them very long. I had a different set of bulbs on a different car that were true high wattage at 80/100 and they did not last as long as the standard lower wattage bulbs. I don't know if this is a trend, but it would seem logical that the higher wattage would cause a little for wear and tear on the bulb. This could be the price you pay for better performance. Anyways, the Hiper bulbs are really inexpensive compared to PIAA bulbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back