PIAA Fog lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIAA Fog lights

Hey All... Wanted to get some feedback from anyone with PIAA Fog light experience. I'm NOT interested in the big honkin 80XTs and the like (sorry guys! :) ). Want something that will fit either the factory location (rectangular, 95 EB) or else in the air dam intake between the fogs, so we're talking about 3" height max.

From what I've seen with PIAA... 1900X Plasma Blue, 1500XT, 1400X, etc. I am looking for white/clear FOG. Something good. Even open to other brand input (Hella, etc). Anyone have any of these? I hate buying something blind like this, without hearing about how well they perform and fit.

Criteria priority: #1 Light Performance, #2 Fit on vehicle, #3 price, #LAST - if it looks Cool Blue or neon or whatever. I'm not about that.

Thanks in advance!!
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 1500 only comes in a yellow fog(I think).
The 1900 is 20,000 candlepower and the 1400 is 15,000C.P.
Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
The 1500 only comes in a yellow fog(I think).
The 1900 is 20,000 candlepower and the 1400 is 15,000C.P.
Hope that helps.

1500XT comes in ion crystal fog, ion crystal driving, or clear driving. Used to come in clear fog btut hat's been discontinued. FOr the 1500XT's you may want to do a search on them, I know several people have installed them in the stock location and been pretty happy withi t. I don't know anything about the 1900's. Also might want to do a search on 1400's Rick has them as his reverse lights...
check out these few threads...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21174
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21289

@#$%@#$%#$%#$%

$#%$#@%$#%@% PIAA I #$%@$#%$#%@#$ knew it...
I WAS gonna order the 1500s in a clear fog but nooooooooooooooooooooooo......$%#@%$#%#$

Matt...have you seen the "3A" brand of lights they sell at pepboys? I saw a dual "fog-driving" exactly like the PIAA 980s. I was thinking of getting it (60 bucks!)and just swapping to the PIAA bulbs..have you heard anything about these lights..quality..wiring? Everything looked to me like a PIAA knockoff..down to the lens and harness...only thing i didnt like was the "3A" logo is on the lenses :(

As far as the "dual mode" thing...do these work? I'm wondering if the reflector and lens is too small to really provide a good beam...

BTW does PIAA make covers for the 980?

ThanX

never heard of 3A... I've learned my lesson and stay away from Pep Boys lights, any of em. So I can't answer your question on that. However, I'ev found that any light that says on the package "LIKE PIAA!" Well, isn't.
As for whether they make covers for the 980's, no they do not. Reason being the 980 actually is a multi-level light. It's tough to describe unless you've seen one... the lens for the driving sticks out further fromt he lamp then the lens for the fog.
As for whether the 980's work or not, best best would be to go to any place that deals in PIAA's (in Denver, I'd try High Country 4x4 of 4-wheel parts wholesalers at 70th and Federal, say your thinking of going in ont he PIAA group buy, Jason [the manager] will know what you're talking about), and you wills ee a PIAA display. They usually have about 8-10 different models of PIAA's and you can switch each set on to see what kind of light it provides That might give you a better idea then what i could describe. I've got no experience with the 980's myself, one of my co-workers is going in on the group buy any buying a set of 960's though for his Dodge 3500 (which I'm trying ot talk him into letting me bring out to moab towing my Explorer, LOL). The 980's are the same size and therefore should fit in the stock fog light location.
As for the 1500 clear fogs, I know, I wish they still made em too. I have a set of them in my reverse... wanna buy em off me? :).

ugh

used lights..ugh...I'll give you 20 bucks so itd prolly be better to keep em since theyre discontinued.

I know what the multi level is...and i think its a superb design for the fog/driving...PIAA could make lenses for em..just they wouldnt fit anything else..

Geh well if the money appears I might go with the PIAAs, it just gets me how they charge like $300 for a light thats so stinkin small and the 80XTs are the same price for 300,000 more candlepower...

btw has anyone ever compared say a 100,000 candlepower light to the amount of light generated by 100,000 candles? :) probably just like horsepower....

I don't know but if you'll buy all teh candles you can find on the eastern seaboard, we can try and compare them! LOL

Sorry, I have to inject something into this conversation.
I agree that most bargain lights are real cheapo. They usually last a few days or weeks, then crap out. The wiring, relays, and switches (if they include them) usually need replacing, anyhow.

However, I have 3 sets of Pilot brand lights and they work very well. I've had 2 of the sets for over a year with no problems. I just added the third set a few weeks ago and they're still working flawlessly. I don't know how their brightness compares to PIAA's, but they look pretty bright to me! Most of them use H3 bulbs, so you could put in PIAA bulbs if you want. The kits come with everything you need, and are really easy to install. They range in price from $25-$60 at Autozone. Autozone will also take them back within 5 or 6 weeks if there's something wrong with them.

Just my 2¢. Check them out on my webpage!

Have to agree with you Alec. I bought Piolet projector lights #704 I think and had them on the explorer untill I got some PIAA 959 projectors. I'll tell you that there isn't much difference in the lights. The Piaa wiring and switch are better but the light body and beams are about the same. At 60 bucks or so it's hard to go wrong.

Back