PIAA Group Purchase Pricing | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIAA Group Purchase Pricing

ok, as many of you know i've been working on putting together a PIAA group purchase to hopefully lower the price a bit so everyone can get what they want for below retail. These prices may seem a bit high, but compare them to other retailers and they are quite significantly different. I advise you to shop around, and if you find a better price let me know and I'll try to work a deal through them... I shopped around to several lighting stores as well as wholesalers and these are about what I can do for pricing on such a large order. Keep in mind this is indeed a group purchase so I will not be profiting from the sale (except a small portion which is going to explorer4x4.com). On top of this you will have to pay shipping, which will be anywhere from about $3 for a set of bulb's to about $9 for the 80 Racing Series. And don't worry, these lights will be packaged well.
If anyone also wants some explorer4x4.com t-shirts (found here: Dead Link Removed) and you can save on shipping!

Lights that will fit in stock locations
These lights are guaranteed to fit in the stock fog light location, many other models will but may require some trimming.
95-current explorers
1500, 1400 under bumper on each side of license plate without bracket, drill holes and use stock fasteners (excludes limiteds)
In the standard airdam (w/o foglight) : 940, 960, 910, 959 -cutting holes in dam required (template included)
95-current Explorers (Limited)
980, 1500 under bumper on each side of license plate
91-94 Explorers
980, 1500 under bumper on each side of license plate

Bulbs
Dead Link Removed - $60
Dead Link Removed - $60
Dead Link Removed - $25 for the pair if you're ordering the H3's to replace your fog light bulbs because that's what your manual says, please look at the bulb itself before ordering... it's been discovered that many truly are not H3's.
Dead Link Removed- $57.75
Dead Link Removed- $57.75

on the bulbs, if you purchase 2 or more sets they will be $2 off each set. Not much of a discount but hopefully some

Lamp kits

Dead Link Removed- $220
Dead Link Removed
The 80 XT's are the big dawgs, I've got 4 sets of them myself. They are also fairly expensive, but there the brightest they make aside from H.I.D. (the driving version is 385,000 candlepower, wowee!). They are approximately 7" wide. They are a little less then 3" deep, come with white covers (see pics of my Explorer to see what I mean). A few of the people on the board that have these are myself, Ray Lobato, and Rick.

Dead Link Removed - $330 for the whole kit (two lamps, wiring harness).
Dead Link Removed
The 80 Racing Series are there biggest light, these bad boys are nearly 9 inches tall, 8 inches wide, and 5 1/2" deep. They are dual-mode so they have a low-beam and a hi-beam. These don't come as a kit, you have to get two lamps and one wiring harness (as gofast pointed out earlier). For wiring harness you can either get the 22050 which will work fine or the 22150 which is designed for a higher wattage, so you could hypothetically upgrade the bulbs later if you wanted to (though I don't know why). These lamps also come with the covers. They come in driving only. I've got these on my Explorer, there big :). The $330 includes everything the kit would include (two lamps w/covers and one wiring harness)

Dead Link Removed - $180.
Dead Link Removed
The 520 series, as well as the 80 XT's are one of the more popular lights. They are a standard 6 3/8" wide, 6 1/8" tall, and 2 3/8" deep. They come with the grill-style cover. These come in fog or driving, and soon to be in MSR (see piaa.com for more info). You can get them in either chrome or black (chrome is more expensive of course). These are 85 watts and aren't as powerful as the 80 XT's, but they are cheaper. Some of the people on the board that have these are myself, Ray Lobato, Gerald Jarrett, and numerous others.

Dead Link Removed- $170.
Dead Link Removed
The 1500 series will fit many Explorers in their stock locations. They are a thin rectangular light and come in fog or driving. They are 2 1/4" tall and 6" wide, and 2 5/8" deep. I have these mounted in my back bumper and they make a great spread. These one's do not include light covers because if you mount them in the stock location you won't be able to use the PIAA covers. The covers are quite inexpensive though if purchased seperately.

Dead Link Removed- $155.
Dead Link Removed
The 1400's are small and compact and give a great spread of light. There what Rick's using as his reverse lights. The mount about anywhere and look slick! They come in fog or driving, and hte driving version comes in black or platinum. They are 2 1/8" tall, 3 1/4" wide, and 3" deep.

Dead Link Removed- $220.
Dead Link Removed
The 959's are the same dimensions as the 910's, but come in a fog light version. The 959's are SAE approved, which doesn't make them street legal, but SAE approved :).

Dead Link Removed- $230.
Dead Link Removed
The 910 series will fit many of the Explorers with the round fog lights as well as those with rectangular lights with some slight cutting, you have to specify whether you will be mounting these hanging down or standing up as they are designed slightly differently for ventilation purposes. They are 4" tall, 4 3/4" wide, and 5" deep. They come in ion crystal driving and clear driving. I had them in my 98 F-150 and I was quite impressed, plus you can mount em about anywhere!

If you want a light that is a dual-mode light (fog and driving in the same lamp) you can choose from the 940's, 960's, 980's and the 90 XT's. THe 90 XT's are the big dawgs, these are the best light (aside from H.I.D.) that PIAA offers (also the most expensive). The 980's will also fit in the stock Explorer location, and the 940's and 960's may with some minor trimming.
Dead Link Removed- $185
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed- $235
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed- $290
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed - $120/set.
Dead Link Removed
These are not as expensive as the 520's, but not as good either. They are about the same size, but a bit narrower, and clear instead of amber. They are the basic light, no huge frills, but still better then many of it's competitors.

Dead Link Removed - $100/set.
Dead Link Removed
They run 55 watts which can be upgraded to the 85 watt bulbs with no problem.

If you are interested, please email Matt Adams at matt@explorerforum.com, or by phone at 303-437-1275. Once i know what lights you want I can get you a shipping price figured up and get the process started!

Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing several of lights, we can probably work out a discount.

[Edited by mattadams on 12-08-2000 at 12:37 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool, thanks!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I know I'm a little late here, but can I still get the bulbs at these prices? Couple questions: On the foglights, my bulb is an H3, but which one do I get? The 55w=85w one or the 85w=130w one? I assume brightness is the difference, but say I got the 85w=130w, are they so bright where I'd get pulled over for leaving my fogs on in town or anything? Also, I have clear plastic light covers over my fogs...would they melt if I got the higher wattage bulbs?

Originally posted by 4x4Ranger
I know I'm a little late here, but can I still get the bulbs at these prices? Couple questions: On the foglights, my bulb is an H3, but which one do I get? The 55w=85w one or the 85w=130w one? I assume brightness is the difference, but say I got the 85w=130w, are they so bright where I'd get pulled over for leaving my fogs on in town or anything? Also, I have clear plastic light covers over my fogs...would they melt if I got the higher wattage bulbs?

4x4... first off, I'd recommend getting the 55 watters unless you plan on upgrading the wiring,r elays,and switch while your at it. With the 85 watters you won't increase your lightpower but you will increase your chance of frying wiring and switches and so forth. I think your wiring would fry before you were able to melt the lenses.

Originally posted by drmoore71
can you get the light locks for the 520's?

$27.50 per pair. A little high, depends on how hi-crime of an area you live in I suppose.

Matt, thanks for the stickers. I did mess one of them up as I was putting it one(don't hit me!) The window was a little hot(sun side) and touched a part of the window. As I tried to pull it back off it got a wrinkled and needless to say, the end result was a wrinkled bubbly sticker. Anyway, I'll wait til I order another set before I bug you for another. Thanks again!

hey matt this has nothing to do with anything but i picked up a handheld spotlight at target for $35 and it is rated 2 million candelpower. it uses a 100 watt, blue h3 bulb and is cordless via battery or it can be plugged into the cig lighter for full power while charging the battery. it also has a ac adapter to charge the battery outside of the light. the light will also work of the dc w/o the battery in place.

Originally posted by jimabena74
hey matt this has nothing to do with anything but i picked up a handheld spotlight at target for $35 and it is rated 2 million candelpower. it uses a 100 watt, blue h3 bulb and is cordless via battery or it can be plugged into the cig lighter for full power while charging the battery. it also has a ac adapter to charge the battery outside of the light. the light will also work of the dc w/o the battery in place.

yeah, I've seen those before. Pretty spiffy, I'm actually thinking of getting one for when my lights aren't aimed just right at what I want to see and I don't feel like getting out of the truck :). Also good for looking for addresses and so forth in the dark.

hey, matt--i'm going to be sending you the remainder of what i owe you for my other set of 520's on friday. question...how much more do i owe you? can you email me at drmoore71@yahoo.com thanks.

yup it is pretty spiffy. i use it at work as i am a security officer during the grave/crazy people shift. it really turns night into day and it will keep my head and ears warm in a pinch:)

Is the group purchase thing still open?? I need to get a set of the 510's for my 2001 stock bumper openings.

Thanks

what can you offer me matt thats cheap that will produce MASS light that will fit in the 99-01 sport bumper?

Hey Matt,

I want in on the buy if it is still happening? I want a pair of the 9004 headlamp bulbs. My email is glc8937@yahoo.com

Let me know if you need any further information and how to pay you and all that good stuff.

Thanks matt!

One more thing Matt,

I am getting the clear tails and I was told that during the day it is hard to see the brake lights and that it looks like 2 red/pink dots.

Do you know off hand if PIAA has some really bright tail/stop bulbs. If so...I will buy them as well!!

Thanks again!

sorry bud, PIAA Group Purchase has been closed, wasn't getting enough orders to justify keeping it going. As for tail lights, they make some wedge bulbs that I know SOMEONE used, but not in an Explorer, I think it was in an accura or something. best bet would be to get the bulb number and check out PIAA's web site.

will it reopen? where can i get piaas cheap

So it's closed now huh Matt??
Any chance of another round in the future?? Give it a little time, and I'm sure you'll be able to get enough orders to start it up again.

it will reopen if I can get orders for 10 sets of lights.

Originally posted by jas84
will it reopen? where can i get piaas cheap

I was referred by a fellow member to contact a guy named Gene at keyparts@interbaun.com I think he is frm canada or something. He quoted a price of $49.95 for 9007 PIAA hyperwhites. Shipping brought the total to $53.95

I am ordering my 9004 hyperwhites, under the hood bulb, and stop/tail bulbs from him as well.

Hope that helps.

I've been thinking about getting a set of PIAA 980s for my 98. If I did get them would it be better to put them where the stock fogs were or leave the stock fogs and mount the 980s in the bumper opening? I thought about putting them in place of the stock fogs but somwthing about putting $300 that close to the ground didn't settle well with me... Also, if I were going with a single lamp (1500) I would of rewired the stock fog switch for the relay but with the dual lamp lights I assume it comes with a special 2-way switch or two switches?

Originally posted by CougarX
I've been thinking about getting a set of PIAA 980s for my 98. If I did get them would it be better to put them where the stock fogs were or leave the stock fogs and mount the 980s in the bumper opening? I thought about putting them in place of the stock fogs but somwthing about putting $300 that close to the ground didn't settle well with me... Also, if I were going with a single lamp (1500) I would of rewired the stock fog switch for the relay but with the dual lamp lights I assume it comes with a special 2-way switch or two switches?

Cougar, I personally would put them in the stock location, but thats because I think that the PIAA would look *****in in the stock spot :). I wired the 520's to my stock fog light switch in my F-150, it works super. Just hooked up the switch wire going from the relay to the stock fog light wire. Now when I use the stock switch, on comes the 520's! :)
The PIAA 980's (I believe now, don't quote me on this) come with one switch with two buttons, one is power, and one is mode. That means that you turn on the lights, then you can switch in between fogs and drivings. That's the way it was at least on the 960's my co-workers bought (another one of their dual-mode lights).

Back