Piaa HID's? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Piaa HID's?

I just mounted a Westin Safari bar on my sis's 2001 Sport now we are trying to determine what type of light to mount on there.

I have Piaa 520's on my brushguard but she's looking for the HID look on her's. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the PIAA 600 or 610's. From what I understand they are a true HID lamp.

Are there any other type of HID lamps that can be mounted on a bar like that? I priced some of those PIAA at somewhere around 1500 dollars. Hopefully we can find something cheaper. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lightforce has great HIDs. They're a bit pricey, but from what I've seen they have very good reflectors and ballasts, and are easy to install because everything is integrated into the lamp shell.

Where would I go about finding these Lightforce HID's?

I searched and found some for 1150....I thought you might have had some in mind that you were thinking of. Thanks for the help Alec, I really do appreciate it.

Lightforce and PIAA both make good lights, I've run both on my various vehicles. Lightforce makes virtually indestructable lights, but I think PIAA makes a better light and make it simpler for the average installer. As far the PIAA HID's, I've got no personal experience with them, but I'm sure they would be fine.

What does she want the lights to do? Be on most of the time and fill in the low beams or be high beam driving lights?
Sylvania makes an HID aux. lamp that I've heard is good. EagleEye make some that I've heard are poor. Hella makes a projector type fog that is probably the best projector fog light. PIAA has some new fogs that use the extreme white & superwhite bulbs that look & work good plus are good size for grill guards.
Just depends on what she wants them to do.

Ok.....I don't exactly know what she's going to do with these lights but she'll probably want to run them in addition to her normal driving lights. I would assume that she wants people to pass her on the road and go "oooooo, look at those expensive lights." Do you guys know anything more about these Hella HID projector lights? Thanks.

Thanks Mr Kemp.....those are in the price range that we're looking for. How do you think rectangular lights would look on a safari bar?

i really wouldn't get any of those-

for the same amount of money you can convert the healdlights of the vehicle to true hid then purchase two sets of piaa 520s one set of fog and one set of driving (or lightforces equivalent) that would be far more impressive and useful.

I have the Sylvania Xenarc Auxiliary kit on my Escape and they are great. They have a wireless remote so I didn't need to have a special wire into the cab. About two hours and I hade then attached to the bumber and running. They come with a bracket that hooks to the vehicle and then bolts hold the lamps to the brackets. Quite simple, the most time was spent trying to place the ballasts in a hidden spot. For $300, I can see so much more of the road and the sides of the road.

Noblebc, Plus your "street legal". With the ever increasing pressure on the aftermarket HID industry and use by consumers, by the DOT dont be surprized to see some additional enforcement on non-dot approved lights.

Absolutely. Street legal is very important to me. One thing I know is you can trust that everything Sylvania puts out in the market is 100% street legal.

Actually hella makes a driving and a fog. You should get the Hella Rallye 4000s they rule!

Back