Pic request 2nd gen 31" tire stock lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pic request 2nd gen 31" tire stock lift

genericusername

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Sorry if ths is not the best forum but there seem to be about 30 or so sub forums so I just figured general would do.

I would love to see a picture of a second generation with stock suspension and 31" tires. I'm just trying to decide how I want to do my 98 Sport this is the combo I am considering at the moment.

I know this is pretty much the max size I can run without lifting but will this do well as far as not rubbing the fender when hitting it hard on the trails?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

0003.jpg

Thanks guys. I guess that will not get me anywhere near were I want to be. I tried to contact the owner of this Explorer here to get the specs on his Sport with no luck. Anybody have any idea what size tire and lift this would be? This looks perfect to me.

4050side1.jpg

Thanks guys. I guess that will not get me anywhere near were I want to be. I tried to contact the owner of this Explorer here to get the specs on his Sport with no luck. Anybody have any idea what size tire and lift this would be? This looks perfect to me.

Those look like 33's and it looks like a 4-6 inch lift, possibly a 2-3in body lift on it and 3-4 inch lift kit.

Those look like 33's and it looks like a 4-6 inch lift, possibly a 2-3in body lift on it and 3-4 inch lift kit.

I am guessing NO body lift. You would see more frame, if it had a body lift.

I'll say 6" suspension lift rollin' on 33's :dunno:

I am guessing NO body lift. You would see more frame, if it had a body lift.

I think your right, I was comparing the look to the picture above but it has running boards.

Hmmmm I was guessing a 4" lift on 33s. I like it because it does not leave a large fender gap.

That guy doesn't come on here very much anymore, i don't think he even owns the explorer anymore. Anyway, his name on here is "scexplorer," and the truck was on 32s and had 3" spindles, 1.25" torsion twist, and 4" trailmaster leaf springs.

That guy doesn't come on here very much anymore, i don't think he even owns the explorer anymore. Anyway, his name on here is "scexplorer," and the truck was on 32s and had 3" spindles, 1.25" torsion twist, and 4" trailmaster leaf springs.

So a 4" lift and 32s should get me there?

here is a 98 sport w/ just a tt and a 4dr leaf pack/aal on 31/10.50's and some slight trimming of the plastic in the fender
PICT0140.jpg

...w/ a 2" body lift w/ same tires
PICT0392.jpg

...w/ 285/75r16 (33's)
PICT0401.jpg

....w/ homemade 3/8" shackles, i was going to ditch the aal but i am lazy and i dont mind the rake....for now
Copy2ofIMG00073-20090321-1150.jpg

here is a 98 sport w/ just a tt and a 4dr leaf pack/aal on 31/10.50's and some slight trimming of the plastic in the fender
PICT0140.jpg

...w/ a 2" body lift w/ same tires
PICT0392.jpg

...w/ 285/75r16 (33's)
PICT0401.jpg

....w/ homemade 3/8" shackles, i was going to ditch the aal but i am lazy and i dont mind the rake....for now
Copy2ofIMG00073-20090321-1150.jpg

Thanks.

Could somebody tell me what TT is. I'm a total newb and see this everywhere but have no idea what it refers to.

TT= Torsion Bar Twist. There is a bolt that comes down on each side of the torsion bar keys. You can lift the front suspension by 1.25"-1.5". Some will go the full 2", but I would not recommed going above 1.5" due to a severely harsh ride on bumpy roads.

If it were me, I would do a 1.5" Torsion Twist with a 2" shackle in the rear and 30x9.50r15 BFG Muds.- Just my opinion

Hoped that helped.

Back