picked up a used explorer with a pretty big problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

picked up a used explorer with a pretty big problem

wannaboverland

Reaction score
City, State
Canoga Park
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt 4x4
I bought a used 2000 ford explorer xlt 4x4 and it was fine at first, took it to the beach also went on some dirt roads with it. I'd say after about 5 drives it started having some shifting issues. 4x4 works great/ drive is good until about 2-3 then it slips/ walking it 1,2,d is fine if you're super gentle with the throttle it won't slip but give it a little juice and the possibility of slippage grows. the reverse is gone when in auto, but in 4x4 it will just crawl backwards, also o/d flashes. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they figured out the odometer was rolled back based on the carfax he had pulled from the vin. currently a reading of 83k but on the car, on paper it shows an inconsistency in miles from 260k to 83k. ive considered going to small claims court to possibly get my money back although the explorer is about 80% working and the other 20% i feel would just be the trans. i understand if the miles were rolled "what else could they have done" is an accurate thought and I may be way too optimistic but that's why i have come here

I guess the reason I am writing this is that I need some experienced advice, the engine feels good and the power seems to be there. the exterior is 10/10 and the underside is not rusted whatsoever. i feel like it wouldn't be smart to let this go because I feel with a little bit of work it can last for a long time.
I can probably sit here for a while and list out every option I have but to the best of my knowledge, this is what I've come up with.

- change tranny fluid/ filter and check valve body for any solenoid disconnection
-upgrade tourque converter keep original trans
-invest in a rebuild or used trans and upgrade TC

any response is appreciated,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a used 2000 ford explorer xlt 4x4 and it was fine at first, took it to the beach also went on some dirt roads with it. I'd say after about 5 drives it started having some shifting issues. 4x4 works great/ drive is good until about 2-3 then it slips/ walking it 1,2,d is fine if you're super gentle with the throttle it won't slip but give it a little juice and the possibility of slippage grows. the reverse is gone when in auto, but in 4x4 it will just crawl backwards, also o/d flashes. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they figured out the odometer was rolled back based on the carfax he had pulled from the vin. currently a reading of 83k but on the car, on paper it shows an inconsistency in miles from 260k to 83k. ive considered going to small claims court to possibly get my money back although the explorer is about 80% working and the other 20% i feel would just be the trans. i understand if the miles were rolled "what else could they have done" is an accurate thought and I may be way too optimistic but that's why i have come here

I guess the reason I am writing this is that I need some experienced advice, the engine feels good and the power seems to be there. the exterior is 10/10 and the underside is not rusted whatsoever. i feel like it wouldn't be smart to let this go because I feel with a little bit of work it can last for a long time.
I can probably sit here for a while and list out every option I have but to the best of my knowledge, this is what I've come up with.

- change tranny fluid/ filter and check valve body for any solenoid disconnection

Welcome! Check out the 2nd generation forum here...Best wishes with your tranny, I have no expertise on that to share...

Welcome to the forum. IMHO I would say if you want to keep it, fix the trans. My 00 Ranger 4x4 & my wife's 99 Explorer Sport have both had the trans rebuilt in the last 4 years. We had them done because we do not want to get a newer vehicle. It is still cheaper then a new truck payment.

Does the title conflict with the claimed mileage? The purchase price was based partly on the advertised mileage, what did the seller know about the past history etc? The odometer is extremely difficult to alter, I'd bet a ton that someone just swapped the odometer, which is a crime to sell such a vehicle without declaring the true mileage, the change of the odometer.

Probably too late with current symptoms but this stuff works minor miracles.... you'd need to siphon out some fluid to make room of course....(hand siphons $9 at Walmart) - Don't forget to check trans level with engine running. It's a 1 & 1/2 hour drive from where you are at but if this "temp fix it" buys you a bit more drivability Pasqual's Transmissions in Santa Ana will do a complete rebuild / de-install / installation all for around only $1,400 -- (714) 542-5150 Tell him a guy who's dealt with him / sent him other business gave you this close ballpark price.
TRANS FIX.jpg

Contact the DMV. They usually have investigators who specialize in stuff like this. They’ll figure out who swapped the odo and ultimately committed the felony (providing a false instrument for filing).

Then take that person to small claims court—that’ll take some of the load off the trans bill.

Get a new transmission and learn from the experience.

It happens to all of us, don't beat yourself up to much.

Good luck.

You should easily be able to tell an 83k car from a 260k car by looking at it. Does the title say ‘true mileage unknown’?

You probably need a full transmission rebuild.

Get a Jasper rebuilt transmission. Reliable and backed by a hefty 3 year warranty. I needed a transmission for an ‘04 Escalade and ordered one from Transmissions Direct. That one crapped out after 40k miles. Spent $300 more on a Jasper transmission and it carried on until the vehicle was sold, another 100k miles.

You bought a car without a carfax???

What's a 2000 explorer worth? Maybe $500.00???
Just not worth fixing it

I have a 2000 Mountaineer V8 and this weekend took a trip that took me up some pretty steep hills. I had the cruise control on ( 70mph) when encountering a an incline it felt like the tranny was slipping and the RPM'S went really high ( cruise control dis-engaged).
Mileage is 143K / Transmission was serviced at 100K . Fluid is full and good color. Any ideas on where to look myself and West Coast compadre would be most gratefull

Define ‘really high’

Did it do this multiple times?

My instinct is to think that maybe the torque converter unlocked or slipped, but that would only result in an RPM increase of 500rpm, Max. Although maybe it unlocked and downshifted to 3rd?

If it revved the **** off itself, something a little more sinister is at work.

Hi. Sorry to hear you are having transmission problems. I am not particularly experienced in this issue, but I will relate my experience. I think the first step would be to see if a transmission place can diagnose the problem. I think the worst case scenario is that you have to put a used or rebuilt transmission in it. I had to put a used transmission in my '08 4x4 Explorer because the radiator had failed and leaked engine coolant into the transmission oil (there is a chamber in the radiator that is used to cool the transmission fluid; the barrier between it and the engine coolant part of the radiator had cracked allowing the two to mix). The cost, with labor, was between $3,000 and $3,500. That was an AAMCO place. You might be able to find someplace that can do it for less. Like you, the body, interior, and engine are all in great shape. My explorer runs great now and I drive it on long trips without hesitation. While $3 to $3.5 may sound like a lot for a repair, if the rest of the vehicle is in good shape and you like driving it, it's not that bad, especially compared to the cost of buying a new(er) vehicle. So, IF you like that Explorer and you are pretty confident the engine is good for many more miles, I would probably get the transmission repaired or replaced.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

there are diphrams in the that aid in ****ing . the one for 1,2 is cracked. not expensive just inside the pan. a trans expert can fix it easily

@wannaboverland

Just sayin' :)

You never said If you purchased this EX from a licensed dealer OR a private party in the PRK.

Either case, Dealer OR Private, Small Claims Court is your best bet.

Look at it this way - what Judge hasn't had to deal with a bad used car purchase either personally or within their family?!?!

As long as you have your evidence;

* the CarFax report,
* a written statement by the Transmission Shop stating what they feel is "the situation",
* and the Trans Shop repair estimate to fix your Ex

You should be good to go.

In the meantime, my advice is don't spend any money on repairs (just get an estimate from the Trans Shop that helped you out).

BUT - be forewarned, in all this, winning a judgement in Small Claims Court is the EASY part - aka "the short game"...

Collecting the judgement ($$$) won't be easy in either case; dealership OR private party - that's the long game...

Also keep in mind, if the Ex has 260,000 miles, this is the first of a long road of repairs you'll be paying for because there is no way around the fact of the high mileage.

You might have to make the hard decision if this is really the vehicle that fits your needs - especially if this is supposed to be your daily driver.

Good luck and keep us in the loop -

Does the title conflict with the claimed mileage? The purchase price was based partly on the advertised mileage, what did the seller know about the past history etc? The odometer is extremely difficult to alter, I'd bet a ton that someone just swapped the odometer, which is a crime to sell such a vehicle without declaring the true mileage, the change of the odometer.

Frustrating when O.P.'s don't respond or update....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change fluid. Filter.

Back