Picking the Ex up - the Good and the Bad... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Picking the Ex up - the Good and the Bad...

DavidM

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
So after what seemed like a never ending eternity, I got the call yesterday.

THE CALL. The one were all waiting for.

Adrenaline starts flowing, mind is racing, Christmas has come.

Time: 1:45 pm

Dealer wants about an hour or so to fill up the fuel tank and get it washed up. No problem with that. I'll be there at 3:45!

I arrive and and am greeted warmly. One of the people I had met with on a prior occasion recognizes me and states loudly, "Oh man, you're here! I've been fending people off all day telling em that this car already has an owner."

You bet your butt it does!

He says it came in the middle of the night and when he got there in the morning there was a small herd of people at the fence drooling like zombie people to get a crack at it. An unknowing sales dope actually got the keys and went to give some of these zombie people a test drive in it before this guy went running over to stop them.

I'm pleased. He walks me out a side door and there it is. It's stunning. I mean stunning! No picture can do it justice until you see it. Mine is tuxedo black, and it has this slight scintillating effect to it's deep rich black, it's just great.

He says we need to go for a drive in it. I was digging every moment. Drives like its on a cloud, the dash is like being 20 years in the future, it's just great.

Now about 3 days ago I was reading through here about the rebates some people are getting. I had an X-Plan but someone had mentioned that if you sign up for a Ford Explorer brochure (by mail or email) from the Ford website, you could also get a $750 rebate. Even if the actual materials don't come to you, the original poster said that you're somehow entered into the system and can be tracked by the dealer for a pin number to claim this rebate.

Sounded WAY too good to be true, but what did I have to lose. So 72 hours before picking up the car, I had registered on the Ford website to receive an email brochure. No email ever came. I had no materials in hand that I would be eligible for a rebate.

Okay, so right before going in to the dealership (while they were fueling it), I alerted my autonation contact that I had signed up for this magical rebate and asked if he could look into it. I felt like a complete jack@ss for throwing a giant wrench in the playbook at the zero hour, but $750 is worth investigating, but he has been super awesome and was more than happy to do so.

He calls me back in 10 minutes and says that I am indeed in the system and eligible for this rebate. I about fell out of my chair. He said he would call over to the dealership and give them this updated information, and that all the papers would be ready to go. All I had to do was sign, the whole process he said would take about 45 minutes. Great!

Back at the dealership, I finish my test drive, and am eager to sign whatever paperwork so I can take it home. My financing company gave me a printable blank check for the dealership, I had my license and insurance papers, I'm ready to go!

And that is when everything turned ice cold. My point of contact, who had been excited for me to come in, was conveniently unavailable with other clients now and would be tied up for the entire afternoon. She had obviously been called by my autonation guy in the moments before arriving to update her about my new $750 rebate.

Now they've been frosty to me ever since I announced myself as an X-Plan holder back in January, I mean there was a HUGE shift in customer service after that moment. No response to emails, un-returned phone calls, eternally unavailable with myriad excuses. It has been an exercise in pulling teeth, but now I imagine they were ready have me "disappeared."

SO Dudley the nobody, who has never met me, has no idea what our arrangements have been, the status of our paperwork thus far, the financing, or any of the other details that my agent knew, is now going to handle my closing. Because she was going to be "tied up with other customers.....allllll day."

The guy tells me I can't have the rebate because I don't have the certificate. I said that I was told I didn't need to bring anything in, because I am in the system. I put him in touch with my autonation guy, as this is an autonation Ford dealership. My awesome autonation guy gives him a pin number and tells him the same thing, that I don't need any papers.

He's huffing and puffing, and fuming, and generally acting unpleasant. He goes away at one point to consult with his GSM. He's gone for an hour and fifteen minutes. An HOUR AND FIFTEEN MINUTES! He's shuffling papers around the table looking confused. He has to put together the Smartchoice price breakdown list for me 4 separate times because each one was missing a part of the deal. One didn't have my x-plan rebate shown, one didn't have my trade-in on it, one had the tax wrong. I mean idiot level stuff here. Each time he had to put a new one together was another 20-30 minutes of waiting.

All told I was there until 10 minutes shy of 8 PM. I got my x-plan discount, I got my $750 rebate, I got the Ford $1000 rebate, and I got a decent amount on my trade in.

My XLT with 20 in. tires, RS 202A, Navi system, and crossbars had an initial MSRP of $37,545. My trade-in garnered me another $3800 off. Plus the rebates. I had put down $1000 when I ordered and so my final due amount yesterday was, wait for it, $31,009!

It was brutal, they did not make it easy or pleasant. I will never recommend these people to another living soul. In fact, they are the exact stereotype of the slimy salesperson that I was really hoping was just a stereotype. But in the end, I think I stole this car. I mean I almost feel bad. Well, almost.

And it was all worth it. I drove it away at dusk, the dash lights came on and I floated merrily home. I'm still in a daze of happiness.

I can't believe the hail mary $750 rebate is in fact a reality. I hope this helps some of you, go for it!. You know, my final sentiment for all of the shady dealers out there, if you give a motivated customer 2 months to do their homework, it's scary what we might hunt up. :p:

Presenting Harrison, my new Explorer

5544302456_8d0cecb0d0.jpg

5544302272_c6c3b4371e.jpg

5544302562_90d22936d4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is beautiful in black. Good luck!

Wow- what a story! A lot of dealers up here treat alpha-plan buyers the same way, and it's sad.

I think first order of business is to get off that license plate and kindly return it to them, since "it isn't the most accurate description of their dealership" and if they put their sticker on the back, grab a hair dryer or heat gun, peel it off with your fingernail, clean the residue off with goo-gone, and leave all previous remnants of Courtesy Ford in the dust. :)

Beautiful Ex! :thumbsup:

I got way better treatment on my Z plan purchase.

Fill out the survey, Ford does read them.

wow what a horror story. I would definately fill out the surveys and let Ford Customer Service know. Ken Grody Ford offered to deliver an explorer to my home or business cleaned with a full tank of gas and I could do the paperwork at my house or business. Every salesman on the lot knew about xplan and was willing to help.

I know that isn't your dealership. But I thought I should give them props. As it turns out I ordered my explorer though a different dealership prior to visiting Ken Grody, so far I've had good service, but I haven't been offered a full tank of gas and the paperwork delivered to me.

That Tuxedo Black is great looking!!! Congratulations

Interesting experience. Glad you got all the discounts.

My dealer is a friend, and when I told him X-Plan, he said "Great! You get a good deal, we make a couple bucks, and there is no messing around."

I have just emailed every discount I have found, or been offered, and a little while later get an email back telling me that he put it in the system and it worked as well.

The big difference? He's a small town dealer who cares about his customers.

Nice truck!

Don't go back for service, either. Vote with your wallet.

David, that is one sharp looking Ex. Congratulations. Curious about the wheels. I thought the XLT came with 18" wheels and Michelin Latitudes. The 20" on the Limited came with Hankooks (which I have already ditched). Did you order the 20" specifically with the XLT?

Harrison is handsome in the pics, so in person, he must be amazing. Such a bummer of a story regarding the dealership treatment. So awesome you got all the discounts in the end. I agree with Bill #4 Explorer. You may as well give the service work to another dealer who cares.

Enjoy your new ride!

I've been through that at large dealers before, never again, I trade small town now.

Ha, You noticed that! Yeah complete misnomer. Ive found that many crappy businesses use improper words in their business name to cover up their inadequacies.

"Best" Buy leaps to mind.

Well the XLT has the optional upgrade to the 20-inch tires. But to answer your question, no they were not standard. It was an additional $1000 dollars or so.
They are the Hankooks not Michelin.

As I'm not someone who has ever been into rims and tires and such, I didn't even consider upgrading the 18 inch wheels. However, when my wife and I went to the dealership to test drive one, there 2 with 18 inch and one with the 20 inch. We both could not get over what a difference it made. The 18 inch ones looked like puny little clown tires in comparison to the body. I mean they just looked awkward, whereas the 20 inch just looks great IMHO. And as I said, I never notice or care about tires, but this was striking.

And I don't know if you caught it, but if you look at the pictures you'll notice that there is a feature missing. I didn't catch it until I got home as I was mentally wiped after that process.

Yup, no crossbars. Not installed and not lying around in the truck. Either they didn't come with the vehicle and are coming separate, or theyre at the dealership somewhere. It's my fault for not going over the car with a fine tooth comb, but I was 2 hours overdue to a going away party thanks to them and wanted nothing else but to get the hell out of there. I'm gonna call over there tomorrow and ask.

After that, I will take your advice and seek service elsewhere.

Awesome truck, I too love my Tuxedo Black Ex.

As several others have already stated PLEASE contact Ford Customer Service and complain. Ford does listen and I know Dealers with too many complaints do have to answer for them.

You may also wish to write the Dealer Principal and tell him how his staff treated you as he may or may not know.

Online Dealer ratings will hurt them too.

Awesome! So glad you love it! It's a beauty.
In January I took a test drive at our local dealer-small town.
When I sat down to go over everything to order my new baby the wheels grinded to a halt
and I walked out the door. NO incentives would be made available to me because "this truck is hot & supply limited", my trade(2010 Buick Lacrosse with less than 9000 miles was barely worth 20,000 to them) and their best interest rate was 7%. I just looked at them & laughed & asked them if they thought I was really that BLONDE!!!???
Needless to say, I took my business elsewhere & so far that dealer has been great. The local dealer....still has that Ex sitting on his lot!

Nice story David M. The day before we were to pick our Ex up my brochure had not arrived yet. I called Ford Corp. and they confirmed that I had the $750 rebate and they told me to call my dealer and they could look it up online and get all of the numbers needed. I don't think they liked me springing this on them the day before pickup, but like you said it's $750. My salesman played dumb so he asked the sales manager. I got a phone call and was told that this rebate could be done after the fact, that it was between me and Ford Corp. That didn't sound right to me so I called Ford Corp. back and I was informed that it HAD to be done at the dealership before I sign the paperwork. I called the Sales Manager and told him that and he sounded a little gruff but he would look into it. Granted I don't know if they were clueless or just wanted to make another $750 bucks off of me. Well, the next phone call I got word from the buisness manager and he informed me that I DID get the $750 rebate and the $1000 cash from Corp.and also they found me a 60 month loan with 2.72%. We also got a $1000 over Kelly Blue Book on our trade. I was thrilled. My salesman and the buisness manager were very nice so I'll go back for service and maybe even be a repete customer when my '05 F-150 gets tired.
P.S. My wife LOVES her new Ex.

Back