Picking up our "new" 07' XLT Explorer tomorrow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Picking up our "new" 07' XLT Explorer tomorrow

digifoss

Reaction score
City, State
Grants, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT
Hello all. We looked at a gold 07' Explorer a few days ago. 1-owner, 93k miles, 4WD, immaculate and most everything has been Ford Dealer maintained since new including annual transmission service and annual a/c service. New CV axles and wheel bearings, and new brake pads all 4 wheels installed by Ford in August.. Wife fell in love with it so tomorrow morning it will be hers. We have never owned an Explorer before so I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions and here is my 1st question about this vehicle - what is the proper way to operate the 4WD switch ? The PO said I can switch back and forth between 2WH and 4WH while moving but there must be a limit to how fast you can be moving. Also, my 95 GMC Suburban sometimes when I go from 4WH back to 2WH it might stay in 4WH until I have backed up and turned the steering wheels while backing up. What about using 4WL ? Thanks in advance

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats! Sounds very well maintained!

So the front axleshafts are always engaged even when in 4Auto. There is no 2wd mode unless you interrupt the clutch apply signal using a manual switch. 4 Auto uses an electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case to send power to the front drive system when the computer deems it necessary. This mode can be used at any speed as the computer controls front engagement. There are no manual or automatic lockouts for the front drive system like older systems so no partially engaged system, no backing to engage or disengage. this should be the default position when normal driving and no 4x4 needed.

The engagement from 4Auto to 4High should be at 55MPH or less according to documentation in 02 but since then I have not seen it. Personally I have switched at over 70mph and nothing bad happened. All you are doing for 4High is sending power to the lockup clutch full time vs computer determined in 4Auto.

4High is just sending 100% duty cycle to the clutch system. This means the front driveshaft is receiving power all the time. If I think I will be needing 4x4 I select 4High as even though the computer is quick to send power to the front in 4Auto, sometimes it isn't fast enough. I like to know front it being powered when I want.

4Low shift vehicle needs to be 5mph or less and in N. Same to release. Ideally stopped. Shouldn't need 4Low unless you need the added torque. Vehicle limiter moves down to about 35MPH.

We picked up our explorer today and now I realize I was describing a different kind of rotator switch. Mine has buttons. What is the far left button for, the one where a vehicle is leaving twisty tracks ?
4wd.jpg

Just a note on the advance Trac system, sometimes it takes a bit of wheel spin for it to really work. I have found if you are in a situation where opposite wheels (left front and rear right or vice versa) have 0 traction, such as crossing a ditch, stay in the throttle and the system will eventually send power to the wheels with traction. This can take up to a few seconds. A lot of people start to get wheelspin and no forward movement and immediately let off and give up. I have found if you continue with applying throttle it works better as long as the two wheels with Traction are not digging holes.

Back