Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap

Well.. once again I've caved in to peer pressure.. you guys are a bad influence!!!

I've decided that this summer will see me do an Electric shift 4406 conversion aswell as a full width SAS/SOA conversion.

Now, I've been offered the entire front end from a 79 bronco for $400 or the entire from end from an 89 Ramcharger for $100...

My intentions are to use coil springs and RAs up front not leaf springs,

So which Dana 44 will be best? Can I put the spring seats on the Dodge axle? The Dodge set up comes with the vacuum set up, but I'll be switching to an elec locker at a later date anyway.

The cost is not the issue, I want to use the correct stuff first off,

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet, thanks, I've also found another complete front end slightly closer from a 78 bronco

Si

This weekend will hopefully see me becoming the proud owner of this

DSC01703_zpsbe62559b.jpg

and this

Photo0551_zps24c2cc4e.jpg

Photo0550_zpsc7b13149.jpg

Photo0549_zpsf05d7d51.jpg

Photo0548_zps2adeadc4.jpg

And I've already got the rear axle from this

truck2_zps1faab3e1.jpg

:D

Si

Awesome :popcorn:

What's your plan for the fuel tank? I ask because when i was playing with mine I was able to move my tank back quite a ways and I like the idea of using the electric shift 4406 .

well, I've got my spare back underneath right now.. but, that will come back out cos the plan is to run some 37" rubber and that's never gonna fit under there, so I can probably move the tank back to accommodate the t-case

I'm also planning on SOA in the back so that there's going to be more space for the tank, and probably some Superlift rear springs, or similar.

I can't wait

Si

I bet! I still cant decide between goin up and dropping it low . It would help if my wife would make up her mind on her 99 mounty (I wanna drop it on cobra r wheels) she wants my 31s and a lift. Evil makes me wanna slam mine and when your done im sure I'll wanna go big. Lol this is why I need another sport.

well, I was bored looking at it... and I wanted the superlift 4" suspension lift, but her that must be obeyed said no... so.. I saw blakegordon's Green Goblin and was like.. I'm doing that!! and she agreed!!

So here we are...

Si

You know you got to different bolt patterns there...what's the plan for that?

2 diff bolt patterns?

thought full size bronco and F150 were the same?

Si

Bronco is 5x5.5
97+ F150 is 5x135

you need a 8.8 pre '96 out a bronco or f150, which will be drum brakes.

I don't really wanna run with drum brakes... and I need a 8.8 that'll run my speedo..

Is there something that I can convert the front hubs to the same bolt pattern as the rear?

Si

I don't really wanna run with drum brakes... and I need a 8.8 that'll run my speedo..

Is there something that I can convert the front hubs to the same bolt pattern as the rear?

Si

The easiest thing to do is get a pre 96 8.8 and swap the disc brakes over from you old 8.8. You just have to have custom rotors made, which you can get from Currie.

You want 5x5.5 not 5x135. 5x5.5 has way more options! The only other thing you could do is run spacer which would make you really wide in the back, or have custom axles and rotors made for the 97+ axle.

I paid $150 bucks for my "89 Bronco 8.8 from a JY. and then another $125 or so for rotors. Trust me I researched this when I did mine. There is a thread about it somewhere...:scratch:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=1921

I guess the other option is get those big billet spacers that adapt my existing 8.8 with 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 which would probably still make me as wide as using the F150's 8.8?

I appreciate your help/advice/input on this

Si

I guess the other option is get those big billet spacers that adapt my existing 8.8 with 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 which would probably still make me as wide as using the F150's 8.8?

I appreciate your help/advice/input on this

Si

correct, that would be a good option, but your looking at 3" each side. Or you can have the front cut down to EB width and run the spacers on the rear axle to come out almost dead on.

hmmm... I'm trying to do this with as little cutting/welding/fab work as possible... I can't weld and paying someone up here to weld anything is stupid expensive...

Cheapest option is conversion spacers in the rear I think...

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there enough room, to just redrill the rear axles for the 5.5 on the 97 axle? I would think so.

Back