Pics from "installing 5.5 inch superlift right now!!!!" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pics from "installing 5.5 inch superlift right now!!!!"

Rate my Rig

• Awsome

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • okay

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Sucks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

datboychris

Reaction score
City, State
san antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 4X4
here are some pics of the finished product installed my self in the driveway

Attachments

• My rig4.jpg
    My rig4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 553
  • My rig3.jpg
    My rig3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 531
  • My rig2.jpg
    My rig2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 537

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great. How long did it take you, and how much to do mine? :D

Well it was the first lift that I have ever done so it took about three days. I would recomend that you try it yourself, it is a great experience and you'll feel proud to have done it yourself and not to mention that you are saving about 650 to 1200 bucks in the process, those are some of the quotes that I got before I decided to do it myself. It is much more gratifying. plus if something breaks you can probably fix it yourself instead of having a a shop poke your eyes out.

Looks clean,
I have a 93 with the Superlift 5.5", but it's on 31x10.5's. I see that the tires you have are 33x12.50's are you noticing any hesitation when your trying to get going fast like onto a freeway? Do you have the 3.73 gear ratio or have you upgraded to 4.10 or something else? How's your gas mileage? Thanks.

looks good, wish i could do superlift for mine this summer, have u help,lol, first i'm going to regear and lock though.

just curiuos where at in sa? are u, noticed the military tag, i'm right by seaworld, have to hit up devils den soon after i get back to tx.

Damn, that truck looks very familiar. Check out the link in my sig to see my truck.

Nice and clean. Glad it went well for ya.

thanks for all the replies!

JPA1982 Im on the NE side by Windsor park mall, yeah I went out to the den this past week It was a great place to find out that one of my hubs were bad. So I got stuck in about 3ft of mud but a little Rubicon with a two inch bodylift saved me. I was pretty impressed with that rubicon he was having a whole lotta fun out there didn't know how bad ass they were. But as soon as get everything fixed I will be back out there.

BMXplorer I do notice a bit of power loss when trying to get on it and I have yet to change any gears and havn't really noticed that much of a gas mileage change yet. my next project is to fix my gas gauge i have been running off the trip odometer to calculate when i need to put gas.

kenr74 I tried to view the link that you posted but couldn't see any of the pics, would love to see them though so let me know when they are ready or email them to me thanks.

Not sure why the link didn't work. Here is the address.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/571769

I've never been a big fan of clear corners but they look great on your truck. I have a totally different lift but I like that nice clean white X look.

datboychris said:
BMXplorer I do notice a bit of power loss when trying to get on it and I have yet to change any gears and havn't really noticed that much of a gas mileage change yet. my next project is to fix my gas gauge i have been running off the trip odometer to calculate when i need to put gas.

What's the gearing on it?

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one using my trip odometer for gas purposes :D Been thinking about doing it myself lately, so if you get around to doing it first, I'd love a couple pictures.

I'll have to give you a holler the next time I'm down in San An, we'll hit up the den (never been, need to go!)

Clean looking man, there's just something about those first gen's lifted 5.5" that's just incredible :D

gearing

yeah i still have the stock gears but i am planning to upgrade soon. the only problem is i know nothing abut the gears and need to know what gears to get since i know have the 33's. yeah when I do change the float I will show pics.

get some 4.10 gears, thats what everyone has recommended to me, when i went on the GEAR?? hunt. hell lets try and get a deal this summer and get both of ours done someplace in town, lol, when i do it i'm also locking front and rear,

Devils den, lets say middle to end of next week??

Very nice!

datboychris said:
yeah i still have the stock gears but i am planning to upgrade soon. the only problem is i know nothing abut the gears and need to know what gears to get since i know have the 33's. yeah when I do change the float I will show pics.
hey im new to this forum i have a 2002 Jeep wrangler 4'' suspension with 33'' procomp xterrains, i know this is a explorer forum and i dont mean to intrude on territory thats not mine but i live at home and my mom has a 1996 eddie explorer 2x4 v6, but the reason why i came to this forum is because i need to find out were devils den is i live in new braunfels so could yall lend a hand to the Jeep man, please :)
here is a link to my jeep if yall wanna see it even though its not a explorer
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=james

your x looks awesome with those 33s and 5.5" lift. good job.

Excellent job. I agree, you gotta do it yourself, it's a great feeling. Took me two days to do mine, several busted knuckles and a few curse words but thats half the fun. :chug:

You may want to consider 4.56 axle ratio when you regear for two reasons. 1) You will get realy good acceleration performance with 33s, both on and off-road. 2) If you decide that 33s are to small and you want to go to 35s then you have a low enough gear.

I went from 3.73 to 4.56 with 33s and I was very pleased with the result. The acceleration was slightly beter than stock on 30.5s. When you you regear you should also consider traction devices (lockers or limited slip). These things can get very expensive very quickly, but if you seriously wheel you will need them.

wanna come out to sac and do mine for me? ;[

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back