Pics of Gen 2 front suspension bags and AWD please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pics of Gen 2 front suspension bags and AWD please

scruff

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited chassis only
Can anyone post pictures of their bag installation with the AWD* still intact ?
I am mostly interested in front but if anyone has shots of a four link nbagged rear as well that would be nice.

I'd just like to see how it looks all together, without wheels obviously so I can see whats what.

Thanks all !

* I want to keep the AWD, no option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

honestly I don;t think its possible unless you get some custom cv's and or half shafts for the front, thats alot of angle in stock form they would bind im sure.

I know it's been done, expo5.0 ? and a couple of others have.
You're right though, you can't go as low as you would with 2 wd but that is compromise I am OK with.
My situation is more flexible than most, because this is for a rod, I can build the chassis, and get it on bags to a level I am comfortable with THEN set the body on it and modify the floor (channeling it) until the bottoms of the fenders hit the ground - they sit a bit lower than the chassis - so it's perfect. I HOPE !

I am just sick of every hot rodded 50's truck being exactly the friggun same.
They box the chassis, throw on an aftermarket Mustang 2 front suspension, four link with a 9" in the back maybe with bags maybe not and then put a small block chev in.
IN FORDS no less. I've had a dozen people tell me thats what I should do, which is exactly why I am not doing it.

1951 Ford F1 1/2 tonne with Gen 2 explorer chassis AWD, 5.0 lightly breathed on, bagged and channeled to hit the ground, sectioned to lower the cab profile stretched a little to make it more comfortable inside and white wall tires on steelies.

Thats the plan.
ALL FORD.

I dropped my truck about 5 inches the subframe with A 19inch. wheels sits 2inches off the ground i did a ball joint flip and relocated the upper A arms.I moved the uppers 3 inches higher by cutting the mounts off the frame and raising them using box steel.Its AWD and i usually drive it with the tire sitting right at the bottom of the fender I had to cut almost 4inches out of the inner fender to get it to lay down and the tire rests on the heater box on the passenger side when its all the way down.I used air rods on the front and 5linked and bagged the rear i've drove it for 2 years with no problems with c.v. shafts so you can go has low has your willing to go i will take some pics soon and get them posted.I run nitrogen instead of air and i go through a bottle every 2 weeks.You cant use anything smaller then a 18inch wheel with the ball joint flip but if you want to go low its the only way to do it.

Sounds like a great setup.

I've moved on a bit with mine, I am still doing the same thing but once I got the chassis and the 51 all stripped down I realized I won't need to try anywhere near as hard to get it on the ground. The 51 cab and fenders overhangs the chassis so far that I may actually have mount it higher than right on the chassis, which will give the luxury of more room under the floor and less sheet metal work.

I would love to see the pictures of your setup, especially the air rods and how you raised the front A arms, even if I don't have to go that far with mine.

Thanks for the input, your setup sounds cool.

bagz

I want to see some pictures also..I have a bagged dakota so I have some knowledge on the subject. But I own a 4WD X, which i plan on bagging starting next week. Ive got everything to complete it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

^^^yea if I can fix my tranny situation first :shoot:

Back