Pictures of how I spent my day. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Pictures of how I spent my day.

Ed Clark

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Sorry, the camera is cheap and I touched up the pictures to see them better.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Broken Blend door. Got the duct for $115 and it took me 6 hours by myself. I did use my son twice to help me lift the dash out and back in.

I used a Haynes manual and it was a help but they missed some things to disconnect behind the dash. Didn't have to release pressue on the A/C unit. All works fine now. I do have a few skinned knuckles though.

I'm going to bed early tonight. Too old for that crap!

Ed

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
hey ESPNfreak....looks like that'll be your dad's truck this summer....lol:confused:

<

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
That does not look like fun :(. I had to replace the heater core in my wife's Firebird, and It looked just about the same. Had to even move the steering column to get the blasted dash out.

<

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
hey travis my dad says he will pay you to do his door. so we gonna do it this summer then?

<

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
I had no idea it was that involved. Holy crap!!!

<

mahieber

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
League City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
I've been afraid to take my dash out to rero it because I figured it would take like days... thanks for the pix. Since I don't need to touch the heater core, I figure I can get the dash out in 6 hours. I love this site.:bounce:

<

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Originally posted by espnfreak
hey travis my dad says he will pay you to do his door. so we gonna do it this summer then?

Uh...that would be helluva job. i know for a fact that you and i won;t get it done in 6 hours.....might take a day or two depending on how long we work each day. I guess I could try to do it...i am just worried about messing with air bags and the steering colum.

<

Ed Clark

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
It really wasn't that bad. I could much quicker next time. But that's how it always works.

The part that gave me the hardest time was the 3 bulkheadl connectors under the drivers side. Getting all three connectors to let go at one time was a pain. I ended up removing the black nandle over the top of it and doing each connector one at a time.

Things the manual missed were removing the parking brake release handle, disconnecting the cable from the tranny to the shift lever in the dash and the steering knuckle.

While I had the intake apart I also cleaned the MAF and housing.

The blower/evaporator housing under the hood can be relocated enough to get at the duct works mounting bolts without having to release the pressure on the A/C system.

Other than that it was very straight forward. Just a big puzzle.

I also noticed that much of the hardware I removed was either not very tight or already loose. Either time got to them or somebody had already been in there. All of the dashboard rattles are now gone, and it's really nice to have control of the heater again.

Almost forgot. Next time I'd try to do it without even touching the steering column. Just disconnecting the column at the knuckle.

Ed

<

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Hey Ed,
It looks like i may try to help ESPNfreak and his dad remove the blend door unit out of his dad's 98 XLT. i am worried about the steering and the air bags. If you can give me any pointers or detailed instructions on what to do it would be very helpful. I've never done anything this big, but there's a first for everything.

<

Ed Clark

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
The first thing the Haynes manual has you do is remove both battery terminals and wait two minutes. Then you disconnect and remove the passenger side bag. The driver side stays in but the steering wheel has to be locked before any movement.

I'll retype the Haynes instructions modified by me later on this afternoon. I can just about remember every nut and bolt still.

Ed

<

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Thanks a lot I really aopriciate the time.

<

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 12 Escape
My ol 91 Ranger had a access panel where the passenger feet would be to remove the heater core w/o removing the dash.
What knuckle brain at Ford decided to design the Explorer's this way?
I hope my heater core on my 97 never goes because I will be more mad at the design than to have to take the whole dash apart!

Thanks Ford!

:fire:

<

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
The heater core is very easy to access on all explorers.

In this fella'a situation his blend door was broken , thus the removal of the dash.

<

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
the blend door being busted would cause no change in temp when the temp control is moved from heat to cool air. My dads truck only gets heat, and thats all.

<

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Hey well at least he has heat. LOL

<

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Hey, ed was this the blend door that you needed?

<

CCThacker

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT, 91 E.B.
The heater core is very easy to access on all explorers.
by Jason_25

Jason, everyone else is saying that the entire dash has to be taken apart. What is your suggestion? on say a 95-00 explorer.

<

'96explorereddiebauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
Pics don't work, but oh well...

Sounds like a big job there. I'm glad you finally got through it.

My dad and I tackled the blend door problem. The cost was absolutely nothing, zilch, nada, none whatsoever. And the best part about fixing this problem doesn't require the removal of the dash. Here's the link to the fix, for others who still has the problem with the blend door.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kandc1/ford/blenddoorfix.html

It requires about an hour max. We took two hours because my dad liked to look everything over before doing anything. "Measure twice and drill once!"

<

MattStarr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB Expedition
Ed Clark~ I live in Virginia Beach... Welcome to the site... if you have need a hand, let me know!!

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.