• Register Today It's free!

pictures of ram air!

redexplr

Reaction score
City, State
anchorage, alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 eddie baur
well i got my semi ram air installed! i test it out a little, but i need to reset the computer again, but i think itll do good, i started the truck up and put my hand over the new intake in the grill and there was some good suction, then when i pressed the throttle cable i could hear the kkm growling through the tube and it sounded pretty neat! Ill update and let you all know how i think it feels after some test runs.

the radiator hose intake--
Dead Link Removed

then it connects to the exaust tubing and runs under the battery back to the filter all in a fairly straight line-
Dead Link Removed

then the connection to the filter-
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

niiiiiice

but #1 where is the hose getting air? i cant tell in the first pic

#2 how did you connect the hose to the kkm

did you set that up so that you would get cooler air to the intake? if so then wouldnt the filter still be sucking hot air from the engine compartment? it looks good. ive been tinkering around with a similar idea but to basically make a large insulated air box and tunnel it like you did so that i can draw cool air fromthe front of the vehicle and also maximisze intake with my kkm. is that stove pipe? looks like a nice clean install. congrats!

What did you do with the electrical and vacuum connections on top of the old box?

but #1 where is the hose getting air? i cant tell in the first pic

in the first picture if you look on the grill on the vert left side in the middle of the grille you will see a black tube that the entry point for the air. Its small so im soon going to be funneling it out to catch more air.

did you set that up so that you would get cooler air to the intake? if so then wouldnt the filter still be sucking hot air from the engine compartment? it looks good. ive been tinkering around with a similar idea but to basically make a large insulated air box and tunnel it like you did so that i can draw cool air fromthe front of the vehicle and also maximisze intake with my kkm. is that stove pipe? looks like a nice clean install. congrats!

this is true that i still get some hot air from the engine, especially at lower speeds, but its now better than just the kkm alone, it now gets some cooler air as well, the more cool air with the least restriction the better. Plus i still have the benefit of open air filiment.

What did you do with the electrical and vacuum connections on top of the old box?

i simply follow the kkm instructions which means disconnecting the two lines and plugging the vacum line.

How is it connected to the KKM?

It looks to be fed directly into the top (end) of the KKM. Is there a filter panel there? I don't have a KKM but I thought it was a conical filter. Please explain...

It looks to be fed directly into the top (end) of the KKM. Is there a filter panel there? I don't have a KKM but I thought it was a conical filter. Please explain...

yes its a conical filter and there is also a filter panel in the inside which is just an inverted cone. I dont know if theres a good picture of that angle to show it maybe kkm's site has one.

as far as how i connected the tube to the filter, i was just lucky and found a tube that just barely fit in with a tight seal and enough friction to hold it in place over bumps but loose enough so i can take it off when i want. which i wouldnt want to anyway :D

KKM?

I noticed in the front view picture that the hose going from your MAF to you throttle body is quite larger than my stock '94. Is this the original '93 or is it part of the KKM kit? I looked on the KKM site and all it talked about was the filter some adapter and hardware it didn't say anything about that air intake tube. It seems that $89 for the whole setup if it comes with that tube is a good deal.

my kkm did not come with a tube. i need to take picture of what i have done. i made a new tube with 4" sched 40 pvc from the kkm to the throttle body and then wrapped it with insulating tape that i got from discount auto (pretty heavy duty), then where the orginal air box was i attached an 8" piece of sewage pipe (no sewage in it though) on the fender wall, i then put the filter into the pipe and sealed it off with the fat ass rubber gaskets that my wifes grandpa had. this effectively forces the air to be drawn from the front of the vehicle through the stock air tunnel. i noticed an imediate improvement. i live in north florida where it is nice and hot 9 months out of the year. the x just felt slower in the heat so when i put that set up on i believe the cold air from outside the vehicle improved the quality of the air mix and i get more power and better mileage. i know it sounds jerry rigged but when i get a pic up it will all make sence. i finished it last sat and i went wheeling sat. it feels more ballsy.

I noticed in the front view picture that the hose going from your MAF to you throttle body is quite larger than my stock '94. Is this the original '93 or is it part of the KKM kit? I looked on the KKM site and all it talked about was the filter some adapter and hardware it didn't say anything about that air intake tube. It seems that $89 for the whole setup if it comes with that tube is a good deal.

Actually my truck is a 91
but that is the stock original tube, the kit just comes with the filter and some brackets and instructions.
Ill get a good idea of my gas mileage soon cause ill be driving 3000 miles from alaska to colorado in a week!
Thats gonna be such a long drive!! On this drive for once ill be happy that i dont have 33's :rolleyes:

Back