• Register Today It's free!

pillar pod and other gauges

masterbeatty

Reaction score
City, State
farmington MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
im lookin at putting some gauges in but wana see how others have done it. any pics or advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im lookin at putting some gauges in but wana see how others have done it. any pics or advice?

I'm thinking about adding some gauges after I install a tranny cooler. I plan to add tranny temp and oil pressure. I haven't been able to find any pillar pods for the Gen III (i haven't looked that hard either) and I'm not too keen on the look besides. I have been playing with the idea of mounting them in the console below the heater/AC controls. There's enough room for three gauges there.

The pillar gauges look good if you can get the entire pillar. If you have to use one of those units that sticks over the existing trim, those don't look right IMO.

For Explorers, that may be correct. For Mustangs for example, you can get either way.

These are installed in a 2003 Ranger which has virtually the same dash and column as a second generation Explorer. All pods are set up to accept 2 1/16 gauges.

Autometer 15308: Dual A-pillar pod
Autometer 15004: F150 Steering Column pod (requires minor trimming to clear cluster bezel on Explorer/Ranger, fits automatic only)
NewSouth Performance POD-004: Triple dash pod (requires base trimming to match dash contour. Available as 1, 2 or 3 gauge pods, angled left or right.)

All of these pods and gauges are from www.egauges.com.

Attachments

• dash gauges med.jpg
    dash gauges med.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 896

I am very happy with mine.

Attachments

• gauge pod.jpg
    gauge pod.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,624

o yea i wanted a 3 pod but i can only find a 2
Some owners have successfully installed a single and double in tandem to create a triple on the A-pillar. However, the combination interferes with the flow from the side window defoggers on the bottom and the operation of the sunvisors on the top. That's probably why they are not available from the aftermarket as a triple.

Back