• Register Today It's free!

Pillars badly scratched

lwolf1315

Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Exp XLT AWD
I had my mind set on a tuxedo black 2012 Explorer XLT or Limited. My local dealership could only locate one in about a 300 mile radius and acquired it from another dealership. It took two days to arrive. I showed up in the afternoon to take possession of it. I looked over the interior and exterior and everything looked good. Late that night under different light conditions, I noticed that all four piano black pillars and the door trim were badly scratched. It looked as if the vehicle had been taken through a automatic car wash numerous times. I went back to to the dealer a few days later to complain. They told me that they hand wash and that they had no idea how the dealership where they acquired it cleans their vehicles. The dealership took photos and contacted Ford. They are having me coming in so that someone from a body shop can do something to remove the scratching. They told me that they want to avoid removing the pillars and door pieces to repaint. Does anyone know how successful body shops can be at removing these scratches from plastic pillars without repainting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are not painted. They are black from the factory on ALL explorers. One wash and they will have swirls again. Don't waste your time.

They didn't appear painted to me. It was the dealership that said something about if Ford sent new pillars, they would need to be painted. As far as the pillars eventually scratching, I can see that to a certain extent. However, the pillars on this new vehicle looked like they were on a vehicle that was a year or two old. I purposely hand wash my vehicles to avoid automatic car wash brushes and would never expect my vehicle to reach the level of scratches that it has now. I will wait to find out how successful the dealership's first attempt at fixing this is before I push the issue further. Definitely appears to be a poor design if they scratch so easily early on.

More trouble than its worth. Even hand washing, they will scratch. May not be visible unless under certain angles or lighting, but it will happen. I actually had a body shop buff and polish them, they looked great for about 2 weeks, then the same ole scratches.

Mine were scratched at delivery too. I assume they got scratched by the towels the dealer used while washing it for delivery. I have a black 2012 Mustang GT coming in today and the dealer has explicit instructions not to wash my car at all, if they do, it's theirs.

Result of a terrible design. I had an issue with mine at delivery where it looked like the dealership had forcefully scrubbed the pillars when washing. They replaced all pillars (they are not painted). As stated by others above, they will scratch even with handwashing. I assume Ford will eventually redesign the pillars so 1) they don't buzz at highway speed with cross winds and 2) don't scratch so easily.

Mine were scratched as well. I used Novus plastic polish #2 and it helped to remove the scratches, however, you have to be very careful in washing. When I wash the car, I start with the pillars using clean soap first, then I do the reat of the car.

I just had my A pillars redone for the RATtle. Brand new. No Scratches. Yippeeeee.

As mentioned in some previous posts, its going to happen regardless. Just had my car detailed and the Body Shop said that while many Fords come with the glossy panels, for some reason the design/materials used on the Explorer are some of the softest they've seen and even the softest microfiber will put microscratches in the pillars. Maguire's Scratch X to a degree helps get some of the scratches out.

GEEZ...I wonder why I come on these boards??? Its a truck! Not a piece of jewelry! Drive it, and enjoy it.

Would it be worth it to clear bra them?

GEEZ...I wonder why I come on these boards??? Its a truck! Not a piece of jewelry! Drive it, and enjoy it.

Someone else that thinks like me!

No one is forcing you to come on these forums or to post useless responses. This is not a "truck". It is a $40k SUV that shouldn't have swirls and scratches over the ENTIRE surface of the pillars and door trim when picked up brand new. I believe that a more durable surface could have been used, however I believe that the original dealer that had the vehicle created the damage. The service center at the dealership where I bought it from was surprised to see the amount of scratching/swirling over all the pillars and immediately started taking pictures. In fact, we looked at all the other Explorers on their lot and none of them were in this condition. Hopefully, their body shop will be able to have some success or they may be replacing the pillars.

This type of pillars have been used for years now on many types of cars. BMW is notorious for this as well. The swirls can be prevented, but you have to take extreme care in washing and drying the pillars. The best treatment to cover the swirls is turtle wax ice or turtle wax black color wax.

2011ex is right, been around for years, my dealer replaced both b post caps and now both A pillars under the TSB. Micro fiber helps some, with light pressure in washing/ drying.

Applique Repair

Applique Repair
WARNING: Before beginning any service procedure in this section, REFER to Safety Warnings. Failure to follow
this instruction may result in serious personal injury.
2012 Explorer | Applique Repair | 1
General Procedure
Table 1: General Equipment
3 inch dual-action (DA) sander
3 inch polisher
NOTE: Appliques located on the front and rear window frames may experience minor scratches from vehicle shipment or
car wash racks. The imperfections may be repaired instead of replacing components by following the steps below.
NOTE: Scratches deep enough to cause a thumb nail to catch cannot be repaired and the component must be replaced.
1. Clean with a mild soap and water wash and dry the affected panels.
2. Apply protective masking to adjacent components.
3. Apply a small amount of clear coat and plastic formulated polishing compound (obtain locally) to a 3 inch polisher
with an appropriate foam pad attached.
4. NOTE: Do not allow the polishing compound to dry while polishing the component.
Thoroughly polish the component.
5. Reclean with a mild soap and water wash and dry the polished panels.
• If the scratches are repaired return the vehicle.
• If the scratches remain, continue with the following steps.
6. Choose a sandpaper appropriate to the scratch severity.
• For very minor scratches, use a 3 inch 3000 grit sandpaper (obtain locally).
• For minor scratches, use a 3 inch 1000 grit sandpaper (obtain locally).
• For heavier scratches that do not catch a thumb nail when pulled across the scratch, use a 3 inch 800 grit sandpaper
(obtain locally).
• For scratches that are too deep to remove with 800 grit sandpaper, install a new component.
7. NOTICE: Do not remove any more material than necessary or component replacement will be required.
Apply the appropriate sandpaper to a 3 inch dual-action (DA) sander and carefully sand the component until all the
damage has been removed.
8. Apply progressively finer sandpaper to the 3 inch dual-action (DA) sander and repeat the process. Finish the sanding
with 3000 grit sandpaper.
9. Apply a small amount of clear coat and plastic formulated rubbing compound (obtain locally) to a 3 inch polisher with
an appropriate foam pad attached.
10. NOTE: Do not allow the rubbing compound to dry while polishing the component.
Buff the component until the sanding scratches have been completely removed.
11. Apply a small amount of clear coat and plastic formulated polishing compound (obtain locally) to a 3 inch polisher
with an appropriate clean foam pad attached.
12. NOTE: Do not allow the polishing compound to dry while polishing the component.
Polish the component until the buffing swirl marks are removed.
13. Continue polishing the component until the original level of shine is present.
14. Apply a small amount of clear coat and plastic formulated hand glaze (obtain locally) to a soft and clean shop cloth and
hand polish to remove swirl marks left by the 3 inch polisher.

Thanks for one of the more informative responses. This must be what the dealership has in mind as a first attempt to fix my vehicle. They are telling me there is a 99% chance of it working. We will see.

With it being plastic (non clear coated) I would be weary of anyone being able to polish it without damaging it more. Be sure to bring some windex with you, spray and rub off the glaze they put on in the final step. That will give you a true uncoated nature look. Because this is the way it will look once the gaze wears off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealership has already acknowledged that if they don't improve the appliques or make them worse, that replacement will be an option. Will find out more after tomorrow.

Back