Pimp My Ride: How should I spend $750: Coilovers, Winch, Lockers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pimp My Ride: How should I spend $750: Coilovers, Winch, Lockers?

I'm thinking about doing some upgrades to the rig, with a budget of up to $750
I'm thinking, in order of my preference:

1) Coilover swap, ditch the t-bars using the ORW bracketry and either FOX or QA1 coilovers.

2) 9000lbs Winch on a receiver sled.

3) Front Locker? Rear Locker? (If so, then what kind, keeping in mind the $750 cap. I have the factory rear L/S now)

4) Save my money towards a down payment on a house. :p:

Thoughts? Donations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to say it but 4.... I guess that's just where I am at these days. BUT I've got a built out truck too so it's easier to say.

Also though, if you go coilovers and or lockers in the future, are you really wanting that IFS. If so thats great, roll with it, probably the coilovers are making it a bit more reliable than torsion bars and a better all around truck. Winch and lockers will put you in situations where you you will break more stuff and need more upgrades.

i selected number 4 also neither do i own a house or have a built rig, But i don't really see you pulling off these mods with the alotted budget either. Well you might be able to pull off the winch. but i see the other going beyond the budget here.

4 sounds much better than all but if I were you and really wanted to change something with the truck I would go coil overs to improve my ground clearance. Then a rear locker later

Cyber, I actually think they are all reasonable, with the exception of two lockers Front and Rear. But a rear locker only, then yes. I edited the 1st post to be more optimistic.

ORW is selling a coilover kit, w/Fox shocks for $650 that would retain the Superlift drop bracketry for the lift.

Although it seems as though the day crowd is leaning to #4. What if instead of a "house" I put "Big Screen HDTV" 'Cause $750 would do that! :p:

I understand fully about the house down payment. But with that said, I'm going to mix it up a little.

I love my adjustable ride Coilovers, and wish I had the lockers, but untill I do my front axle swap that will have to wait.
With that said, from my own experience the winch that I have has come in more handy then I ever thought. I mean from pulling big game animals up hills, pulling logs out to cut with chain saw, removing brush from fence lint to pulling a stuck Ranger out of a snow bank yesterday.
So I'm going with the winch.
What has helped me so much in winching is the fact that mine is also on a receiver hitch up front but also in a few minutes can be attached to rear receiver hitch.
I have those quick disconnects for the power wiring.
Myself, I'd never be with out one. It's just the life style I live and the things that I do that a winch could get me home from an otherwise really bad day.
Now if it's for more show then anything I'd put the winch on the bottom of list.

I'm somewhat in the same delima, tires, new fender flairs or getting more parts for my front axle swap. But I guess it will be the axle parts.

If you wheel alone much, the winch would be your best bet.

If you wheel more with others, I'd get a FRONT locker, and do the brown wire mod. You have a LS in the rear, so adding the front locker would greatly increase your capability.

Oh yeah I forgot since its a V8 it would have an LS factory and you swapped to a normal 4X4 setup

Oops, I got so carried away with my long winded post, I forgot to post. Going there now.

If you wheel alone much, the winch would be your best bet.

If you wheel more with others, I'd get a FRONT locker, and do the brown wire mod. You have a LS in the rear, so adding the front locker would greatly increase your capability.

Interesting - even though the rear LS is crap?

I vote for a c/o swap with some Fox bling, Aaron!! :cool:

I voted for the winch. Once you get one you wont understand how you've lived without it.

Hell, ive even used mine doing bodywork. :D

Hrmm... With the poll open for a day I'm more undecided than ever! Keep the suggestions coming!! :confused:

But, I will start by rebuilding the rear LS, since I have parts on hand - all it will cost me is time + gear oil. :thumbsup:

Interesting: The west coast guys generally liked the "Fox Bling" as Section put it, :D while the east coast guys say "Save Money" and the south/central guys say "Winch."

Actually, now that I think this further, I'd like to add a new option to the poll:
A good MIG welder, like the Hobart Handler 187 or 210. While it's not a specific truck accessory, it could certainly make some!

Hrmm.....

Now the welder is a good one.

I have a 140C with gas. Works great.
HPIM0788.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Zapper - that one is only 120v, right? How does it do with gas? Can you weld 1/4"?

Back