• Register Today It's free!

Ping

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Somewhere along the line, I seemed to have developed some engine ping. Or at least I think that's what it is. It's my understanding the 4.0 kinda always has some going on so maybe it's normal. Mine is fairly inconsistent, most days it does it, some days it's quiet.
My questions are, how much ping is normal? And how do you fix it? I cleaned my MAF and IAC, but no change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might try Seafoaming the engine to clean out excess carbon deposits and check your plugs for excessive wear.

I'm of the opinion that this is an intake gasket issue. I'll no more once my motor is back in. But I'd tried everything (including the dealer all the way back to 2003) to no avail. All the crap Ford tells you to do won't work.

You could try tightening the intake bolts, works for some, not me.
My intake gasket had a couple of spots where oil was seeping in.

Another cause is from the rockers wearing. But on this one, I'd think the noise would be constant.

Rockers, valves and springs are new, push rods are not. No valve train noise at idle so I'm thinking not the rockers. Are you thinking upper or lower intake? I assume lower intake gasket. I could almost see that being the case, and I've debated changing that anyway. Maybe for no more than it costs it's something I should pursue. I've been looking around for a non AC blower box so I can remove all my AC stuff that doesn't work. If I can ever find that, might be worth one big project.
Also, if anyone knows where I can find said blower box, that would be great.

In my experience pinging is much louder than valvetrain noise. I recently replaced my intake gaskets, following factory service manual directions exactly, using quality gaskets. I even put in new injectors at the same time.

First time I tried regular gas after the above work, pinged like hell on a warmer day going uphill. Put in premium ethanol-free and it hasn't made a peep since. Even today and yesterday, it's been super hot here lately and I was driving up steep gravel roads today without issue.

In my case, it's not intake gaskets, it's not lack of fuel from dirty injectors, fuel pressure is good, fuel filter and regulator is new, no vacuum leaks. Cylinder compression isn't as ideal as it could be (good numbers, just not as even as it should be but far from a dead cylinder). About the only thing I can think of is that the engine is worn and with blowby, enough oil is getting into the combustion chamber and carboning up. I seafoamed when I first got the Ex but always ran premium in it. Now, over a year and a half later, I'm sure that carbon is built back up (if the Seafoam even did anything).

If it is an oil issue, perhaps a catch can on the PCV valve and then Seafoaming the hell out of the engine might prevent it from coming back, or at least slow it down significantly.

I had pinging issues, pretty severe at times. I replaced the ICM, replaced the MAF, engine coolant temp sensor (the one to the PCM), DPFE (needed it anyway) and Seafoamed it as per Ford TSA. I also switched to Premium (no ethanol) fuel. THAT finally reduced it to what I will say is normal (well, the ICM and coolant temp sensor helped a lot, too). The lower grade gas in my area just doesn't seem to keep the Explorer happy, or my other car. Then again, I drive old schools, the 94 Ex being the newest. Newer cars seem not to mind it so much.

"Normal", according to the owner's manual, is a some "light" pinging under load from acceleration or climbing a hill. It states that if it pings at cruising speed on level land that you have an issue. EGR valve is a possible cause, as are vacuum leaks, bad fuel injectors, improper spark plugs, spark plug gap, ignition wires, and fuel pressure issues. As is the lower intake manifold gasket being bad or the bolts being loose.

I know, it sounds like a pain! But the relief when it stops... and you've solved it...like a boulder off the shoulders. :p

I tried the premium gas and it helped at first, wasn't long before the rattle/ping came back. Even on slight hills and acceleration.

Done everything Ford had suggested. I say they are just stabbing at ideas.

Pulled the heads and was shocked, I expected a lot more carbon. I believe now that I didn't need to pull the heads at all.

Anyways, the OE and aftermarket 91-96 lower intake gaskets are crap! I went with a 1997 gasket. Here's my thread on it, you can see how crappy the OE is vs the improved 1997 version.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427909

Mine is primarily up hills or under acceleration, and is pre EGR/DPFE. Very possible mine is normal. I mean, the thing runs pretty good, especially for 22 years old. I'll still maybe swap intake gaskets if I ever find the non AC airbox, and I just changed my PCV valve a couple weeks ago so doubt that's it.
One more thing to add to the list as "quirky"

What's this non AC air box your talking about? For the blower motor?

If other things are ruled out, check your spark plugs and their gap. It can depend on what plugs you use, too. Like I said, I replaced my ICM and noticed a big difference. FR-425 recommended it. Got a lot of power back, too. It seemed to be running great, but not as great as it could have been, apparently. But the temp sensor bit, that can't be overlooked. It does wonders.

Indeed. My ac doesn't work, not going to pay the hundreds to fix it. Haven't had one that worked in years. I want to pull all the ac equipment out and swap in a smaller non ac box from an early ranger or bronco II but they're hard to find. Opens up a ton of real estate under the hood though.

Sweet glorious room!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/P1010380.JPG

I had so much room, I stuck a coolant filter in :D
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...olant Filter/CameraZOOM-20150320161430878.jpg

Anyway, definitely check maintenance items that affect air/fuel ratio and ignition. ECT, IAT, O2, MAF, spark plugs & wires, vacuum leaks, injectors, FPR, fuel pressure... If thems don't make a difference, it might be time for premium gas.

Back