Pinging 97 5.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pinging 97 5.0L

Kansas Kid

Reaction score
Hi to all, new to this forum. Lots of great Info here. Here is my problem I have a 97 mountaineer with the 5.0L engine. I have to run regular Un-lead in it or it will ping. Has been that way sence new. Now it has gotten worse. It will ping on regular on any slight hill. Is there a sensor bad or is this just there nature. The truck has 250,000 miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well my first question would be does it have any exhaust leaks?

try higher octane or boosts, different stations, etc.

pings is something that just happens,

That's a horrible answer, he needs an actual fix to his problem rather than a band-aid.

Try checking/changing your wires and plugs first.

That's a horrible answer, he needs an actual fix to his problem rather than a band-aid.

Try checking/changing your wires and plugs first.

you mean throw money at a problem that cant be fixed, easy solution change stations, change gas.. this will fix it. you can throw all the parts you like into a vehicle, it will not get rid of a ping.

heck i seen engine swaps and the new one ping like the old one.

Run premium from a reputable gas station. Gas stations will tell you there's no difference, but I've seen and experienced otherwise in all types of vehicles. My cressida doesn't run well at all on reg, and likes premium best.

Ping went away for me with plug change.
Seafoam will help greatly too.

This isn't a problem that can't be fixed, it's a problem that needs to be fixed to stop any damage that might occur.

Ping went away for me with plug change.
Seafoam will help greatly too.

This isn't a problem that can't be fixed, it's a problem that needs to be fixed to stop any damage that might occur.

he had a ping since new, with oem plugs, you think you can get rid of it? LOL

mechanic in a can that does air pollution right that will surely fix nothing and set a cel. yah that will definitely fix it.

crap plugs will ping? yes if they are too hot, hence why 4.0 dont like any weird plugs but motorcraft. but he dont have a 4.0 he has a 5.0 higher octane even less ethanol will help. also since winter is here were are using winter blend fuels atm which will make pings worst.

all his option is motorcraft... which i'm a say since it pinged since new, probably will just be a waste of 40 bux for plugs.

only thing he could try is running a cooler plug. which is not even changing plugs but finding the same plug with a lower temp rating.

Since new? Hm, missed that part... why is this an issue then? I noticed improvements going from Platinum plugs to Copper.

Copper plugs run cooler.

How come wintergrade fuel causes ping? I had to use my 88 octane tune rather than 90 because it got so bad.

As great as the 5.0 is on the reliability front, it is pingy. I've tried everything and I always seem to have something resembling it. It's worse in winter for me when winter gas comes back. I've tried custom tunes, Seafoam, new plugs, wires, new DPFE sensor and it's always there to varying degrees. Try a good Seafoam treatment via the PCV method (the Brake Booster method is ineffective as it only covers a few cylinders). While Seafoam helps a bit, it won't get rid of it. Mine is worse on hills too.

I agree that it's worse with some gas stations than others.

I've been trying to address this for awhile now... and I've tried almost everything you have Celly......... *sigh* I just don't want this to destroy my engine, because aside of the pinging it runs great.

I'm still using 90 octane with this 88 octane tune and I get no pinging. But I throw the 90 octane tune in there and it gets bad. Quite frustrating.

Since new? Hm, missed that part... why is this an issue then? I noticed improvements going from Platinum plugs to Copper.

Copper plugs run cooler.

How come wintergrade fuel causes ping? I had to use my 88 octane tune rather than 90 because it got so bad.

winter blend fuel is more oxygenated or lighter to allow for the weight of the cold air to allow it be voiltar, or have a cleaner burn.

summer fuel is heavier so the heat dont actually ignite it.

you get it with winter fuel more since hot spots, in the engine, hot plugs will cause a 2nd detonation of the unspent fuel vapors.

Try a good Seafoam treatment via the PCV method (the Brake Booster method is ineffective as it only covers a few cylinders)

Seafoam now has an applicator tube that sprays it directly in front of the throttle body. Works well to get it into the engine evenly.

i forgot to add its not platinum to copper thats hot/cold, cant think of this off the top of my head, but plugs have a heat range, regardless of platinum or copper, good example were the 3v plugs theirs 2 plugs its all in heat range on them.

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/spark-plugs/identification.jsp

if you use ac delco plugs. this is one way to get rid it of ping, buy oem plugs, check heat range, then slowly go one stop down in a cooler plug, test repeat, problem is it might or might not work and you spend about 40 bux per plugs.

other things you can do is retard timing which a knock sensor should be doing when it senses pings/knock....

nkg i think also has a table to show heat range for there plugs.

i stole this from a mustang 5.0 forum...

factory heat range:
Motorcraft = ASF42C
Autolite = 25

one step colder:
Motorcraft = ASF32C
Autolite = 24

two steps colder:
Motorcraft = ASF22C
Autolite = 23

The 5.0L don't have knock sensors. Also, copper vs platinum. Copper dissapates heat a Lot better than platinum.

If I could interject... I know that cooler plugs can help this problem but let me offer a little insite. I have a 3.0L ranger that I just got done having this problem with. I knew it had an exhaust leak but it wasn't enough for me to worry about until the spark knocking/ pinging got worse and worse.. I started talking to a local dealer's head mechanic and he said that an exhaust leak in the wrong spot could cause spark knock due to inaccurate DPFE sensor readings. Turns out my EGR tube was cracked about half the length of the tube.. I replaced the tube and no more spark knock..

Idk if this is your problem but I thought I'd offer up my experiences..

I do have some leaks.......... Hmmm...

Thanks for all the info. I have found some gas pings less then others. I found a plug wire shorting out on the engine last night. I have all motor craft parts on it. I don't know if I have copper or what for plugs. My dealer does all my tune-up work on this truck. I have no exhaust leaks at all. I am hoping the wire short was some of my problem. Will let you know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have better first-hand-knowledge responses if you post this in the appropriate forum. This is for 2006-2010 Explorers and Mountaineers, which were not offered with the 5.0L V8.

Back