• Register Today It's free!

dmonty74

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer Limited
To all members,

If your V8 Explorer has a ping on light acceleration, typically 2000-3500 RPM, as trans upshifts, check your thermostat and or water pump and fan clutch. My 2005 Explorer Limted had been doing this for a few days now. I tried changing filling stations, even going with mid grade or premium fuel and it didn't go away. Since I had 197K on it, and 40K since last set of plugs, I tried those too. Still pinging.

This morning I noticed temp gauge to the line between half way and red. Not overheated, but higher then normally runs. So I bought a new thermostat and got to work. Drained all coolant, since last change was at 150K when I did water pump and fan clutch and took out thermostat. It was stuck in a just open enough to allow water to pass thru it position. I boiled it in water 10 minutes and it stayed in that position.

New thermostat and antifreeze have temp gauge running just south of halfway on the gauge. No more ping on light acceleration either. Just passing on my experience. Might be helpful to some of you.

To all members,

If your V8 Explorer has a ping on light acceleration, typically 2000-3500 RPM, as trans upshifts, check your thermostat and or water pump and fan clutch. My 2005 Explorer Limted had been doing this for a few days now. I tried changing filling stations, even going with mid grade or premium fuel and it didn't go away. Since I had 197K on it, and 40K since last set of plugs, I tried those too. Still pinging.

This morning I noticed temp gauge to the line between half way and red. Not overheated, but higher then normally runs. So I bought a new thermostat and got to work. Drained all coolant, since last change was at 150K when I did water pump and fan clutch and took out thermostat. It was stuck in a just open enough to allow water to pass thru it position. I boiled it in water 10 minutes and it stayed in that position.

New thermostat and antifreeze have temp gauge running just south of halfway on the gauge. No more ping on light acceleration either. Just passing on my experience. Might be helpful to some of you.
Great news!I don't want to be a downer, but the noise could also be from worn timing chain guides.

Guides and chain done by Ford at 123K. Previous owner had bought vehicle at 56K and bought extended warranty to cover 100K additional miles. I had the left valve cover off 4 months ago chasing mystery oil leak that was at the oil filter housing. All looked good on driver side 20K ago.

Back