Pinging noise in engine, 1993 Explorer, 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pinging noise in engine, 1993 Explorer, 4WD

mange1234

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Exployer
Hello,

I have a pinging noise in the engine of my beautiful 1993 Ford Explorer. 4 WD.

It does not sound like the valves clicking. But, I would not swear to that.

Some times, when I rev up the engine, the pinging will go away.

Though I would throw this out to the forum for some advise.

Thanks,

Mike in Virginia Beach

Hole%20cut%20in%20floor%20to%20access%20fuel%20pump%20012_zps429dcea2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can swap rocker arms in like 15mins.common problem.

The OE rocker arms wear and eventually cause the valve clatter.

Only fix is new rocker arms.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/lifters/lifters.htm

Thanks,

Sounds like a big job.

Mike

The job being done in the link is for replacing the lifters and rocker arms.
I think people are saying you can change just the rocker arms which does not require removing the heads.

I strongly suggest trying a can of "Engine Restore" into the crankcase before tearing into your top end. One can fixed my lifter noise. And switch to 20-50 syn oil if you're not there already.

Oil additives and using thicker oil to mask mechanical problems isn't a good idea.

The OHV 4.0L is made for 5W-30 oil, you can go to 10W-30, but 20W-50 is way, way to thick and will cause a lot of problems. Thick oil doesn't get into the smaller areas as well, and also puts a lot of extra stress on the oil pump, not to mention how much it affects power and gas mileage.

Oil additives and using thicker oil to mask mechanical problems isn't a good idea.

The OHV 4.0L is made for 5W-30 oil, you can go to 10W-30, but 20W-50 is way, way to thick and will cause a lot of problems. Thick oil doesn't get into the smaller areas as well, and also puts a lot of extra stress on the oil pump, not to mention how much it affects power and gas mileage.

AGREE!!thicker oil will only make the problem worse!

For the record, I have been running mine on 20-50 synthetic for the last 11 years. It has about 245,000 miles on it, and runs great. Highway mileage is about 22, city about 17. Nothing has "clogged up".

For the record, I have been running mine on 20-50 synthetic for the last 11 years. It has about 245,000 miles on it, and runs great. Highway mileage is about 22, city about 17. Nothing has "clogged up".

I also run thicker oil because of the added heat i produce.but neither of us have problems with our motor and running it to try and cover up a problem.if you run thicker oil in a dirty motor it will only make it worse.

Tried mid-grade gas instead of regular?

Tried mid-grade gas instead of regular?

^^^..x2 on that as that can also help rule out if you have air/vacuum leaks for cheap..;)

Back