Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
In 1990 Ford stoped using Pinion Yokes and went to Flanges instead on 8.8's. So my queston is which is better?

When I had the Bronco 8.8 gears done, I didn't relize that it had a Yoke instead of a flange like my factory 8.8 has. Now when I went hook it up, I had a Homer Simpson molment. "DOH!" :banghead: Now I can just take the end off my driveshaft and the u-joint is the same size, but I may lose a inch or so from my driveshaft :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say yoke. The flange uses a cast piece on the driveshaft end and I've busted the casting straps before.

Maybe I made it confusing.. :confused:

I had this on the 8.8
D60ROUNDYOKE.JPG

but now I have this.

44YOKE.JPG

flanges2.JPG

and my other question is should I go from straps like factory to U-bolts for strength.

I took off my flange adapter and sold it to a Heeper for 15 bucks. I got lucky and it was already a 1310 yoke on the 9", so it all bolted up perfect. I'm using u-bolts instead of straps, and I've heard that's stronger.

I would say the first picture, the flange. You, usually, have thicker bolts, a heavier/stronger metal material (more there than little straps) securing the u-joint ends. :thumbsup:

-Drew

It has to be flanges.

H07-11120-2.jpg

Tractors and I believe big rigs all have live axles with flanges - so, if they have flanges with all the torque they put on those axles, they must be stronger :thumbsup:

-Drew

Good point :thumbsup:

This is where I say "DOH" again :rolleyes:

Would there be any benifit to running another u-joint there, kinda like a double cardigan :rolleyes:

not that I know of. If your angle is great, it'll decrease it a bit, and it may distribute the "force" on the u-joints more evenly instead of one u-joint taking all the abuse. I am not totally sure though

-Drew

flanges2.jpg

The flange on the drive shaft is cast iron... It may look nice and shiny freshly machined, but it is cast.

I save my sharapnel:D

Attachments

• cast.jpg
    cast.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,354

Ok maybe this is a dump question, but can I just change the yoke, with out screwing up the pinion setting? :rolleyes:

just dont retighten the nut to far cause you will over crush the crush sleeve on the pinion. Also you are supose to use a new pinion nut after you take an old one off. I would toss it under the truck as it is if the drive shaft goes on. Then see if it is to short. I like the flanges myself however eather should work fine.

I'll just make sure I keep the old one. And then I can always change it ;)

You can get a pinion spacer from Mark Williams for cheap. It's just a PITA to install. The spacer replaces the crush sleeve and once installed you can R&R the yoke all you want without worrying about preload.

I've done what Matt said without problems. I just wanted you to be aware of the permanent fix as well.

:thumbsup: I have a crush sleeve eliminator/spacer in my rear end. It worked out really well

-Drew

Ok, so I need a longer drive shaft now :rolleyes: I think it may be OK for the street, but not for off road. It pulled out of the center yoke when we were messing with the rear axle. Then we did some mesurments. What do guys think of a driveshaft spacer? I would only need a 1" longer at most. Thoughts? :rolleyes:

I'm thinking now a inch may not be long enough. :rolleyes: I need loner splines is what I need :mad: Any way the though of running a double cardigan on the rear came to mind :rolleyes: , or just finding something longer at the bone yard. I really don't want to put out the money for a rear driveshaft right now. :( Lets just say the SAS is running over it's budget. I know big surprise right? :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stic-o said:
Any way the though of running a double cardigan on the rear came to mind
by the way stic when you're talking about driveshafts, the term is double cardan. a cardigan is an attractive yet conservative type of sweater. :p

Back