• Register Today It's free!

Pinstripes

tcexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
When taking the pinstripes off what should i use? Does anyone if when you take it off does it leave dull paint under the pinstripe? Does anyone have pictures of before and after taking their pinstripes off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lemme tell you I've been dyin' to get rid of the stripes on my 97 EB and I dont think the fading will be apparent, but my truck has a Ming coating (an over-priced clear-coat) on it. The clearcoat is probably as old as the truck but do you think a difference will be visible behind the stripe? Theres pretty much only one way to figure out I figure... thats to start peelin'! Too bad I'm such a puss-

~stu

I just parked my truck in the direct sunlight to heat it up then just used my fingernail to start peeling. I then sprayed simple green on to remove the excess glue. Washed and waxed and you can't even see where they were.

I just took the pinstripes off my 97 Explorer today and once i got a little bit peeled back the rest came off with ease. There was no difference or fade in the paint the only problem was dried wax and other stuff where the pinstripe was and in all it only took about 15 minutes. Maybe that can be some help to some.

7-9-04_003.jpg

that was after i took them off my 96. little bit of wax and she looked good as new. no fade.

I learned to use a soft rubber wheel on the end of a drill. Works exellent! Just be careful not to press too hard or run drill to fast and burn the clear. Afterwards, use the 3 step Mother's car compound, glaze, and wax or something comparable, and you'll never know the stripe was there. The only problem is, you'll want to do the whole truck it'll look so good.
Good luck
Peace

96limitedX, that looks faded... but it's OK- it looks good now! :D
I pulled my stripes off too (no harley flames to back though). It looks pretty good. I decided I'd leave the EB logo on there. Kinda catches the eye :eek:

<<Pinstripe, faded pillar
4625.jpg

No Pinstripe, pillar Refinished>>
9971.jpg

Mine came off a bit when I got the presure washer to close, I'm debating either taking them off or redoing the door.

heat gun to heat up, fingers to peel and miguers cleaner wax after...cant tell it was even there. Took a while tho,hope you have some time

hmmm. I did not know a rubber wheel could remove pinstripes...Its a good day when you learn something.

I have used a razor blade on some stubborn striping...You can not be faint of heart using the razor blade method and also having steady hand, technique and the curvature/shape of the work area plays an important part in the removal without damaging the paint!
I would only recommend the razor blade method if all other removal methods fail!

Back