Pioneer's new AVIC-D3 - anyone installed in an Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pioneer's new AVIC-D3 - anyone installed in an Explorer?

btappan

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Hi-

First post for me!

Anyways, wanted to see if anyone had taken a stab at doing a self-install of Pioneer's new AVIC-D3. My nav system is on order; I'll be putting it in to an '04 Explorer (no subwolfer). Right now I have the 6-disc in-dash changer.

Thanks,
Brent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive just been drooling over the d3 earlier tonight...hopefully it will be my graduation present. :) Ill be interested to see how it goes! Good luck!

I am looking at the D3 as well. It's Pioneer's newest navigation model, and seems to be loaded with features. I was considering the AVIC N3, but I wanted to find a double din model that would fill the entire dash space--for an OEM look. I was a little bit worried about installation. Crutchfield says that the explorer is a 1.5 DIN space, but Scosche makes a braket specifically for the explorer's dash. I think I'm going to buy the D3, though. From what I've found on this forum, double din installation isn't very difficult.

I am looking at the D3 as well. It's Pioneer's newest navigation model, and seems to be loaded with features. I was considering the AVIC N3, but I wanted to find a double din model that would fill the entire dash space--for an OEM look. I was a little bit worried about installation. Crutchfield says that the explorer is a 1.5 DIN space, but Scosche makes a braket specifically for the explorer's dash. I think I'm going to buy the D3, though. From what I've found on this forum, double din installation isn't very difficult.

Correction...The Avic Z-1 is Pioneers newest and flagship navi unit out there. And I have one in my Explorer. It is simple to do. Double din kit from Scoshe and a little trim with a dremel tool and voila! Brilliant.

I've got an AVIC-D2 in my Focus which has the same 1.8 DIN opening as the Explorer and it fits great.

actually..... the avic Z1 is being replaced by the Z2 this year and it is only a software update. I am looking for an indash unit my self and am pretty much sold on the new D3 because it has the advanced ipod controls that blow all the other pioneer units out of the water. Just my 2 cents.

yay! does this mean the price of the Z1 will eventually drop?

actually..... the avic Z1 is being replaced by the Z2 this year and it is only a software update. I am looking for an indash unit my self and am pretty much sold on the new D3 because it has the advanced ipod controls that blow all the other pioneer units out of the water. Just my 2 cents.

I can update my Z1 with new software which in turn will make it pretty much a Z2. Also. What are these "advanced Ipod controlls" that blow all other pioneer head units out of the water? Elaborate please.

the new ipod controls make it a lot easier to use your ipod. Instead of the current software that only shows six songs at a time then you have to scroll down and it takes forever. If anyone is interested I would check out avic411.com it is an excellent forum for all of pioneers navigation units. They also have links to videos there for the new d3 showing the new ipod controls.

actually, i have my d3 sitting on my carpet right now because i know nothing about putting in a nav unit.

how do i shave some of the trimmings off while not making a mess?

the d3 itself is pretty sweet.

if anyone can give me an easy step by step process on how to do it. i'm actually pretty intimidated by installing it myself, but the installers around here are just charging too much. around 400. any info will help. thanks

and no, the z1 will not drop in price. once the z2 comes out because they are pretty much the same thing.
the z2 msrp is 2200 right now(when it comes out). some places sell the z1 for around 1500+ but you still need to buy the upgrade disc to upgrade it to a z2 and that cd is being suggested at $250

you might as well wait.

actually, i have my d3 sitting on my carpet right now because i know nothing about putting in a nav unit.

how do i shave some of the trimmings off while not making a mess?

the d3 itself is pretty sweet.

if anyone can give me an easy step by step process on how to do it. i'm actually pretty intimidated by installing it myself, but the installers around here are just charging too much. around 400. any info will help. thanks

and no, the z1 will not drop in price. once the z2 comes out because they are pretty much the same thing.
the z2 msrp is 2200 right now(when it comes out). some places sell the z1 for around 1500+ but you still need to buy the upgrade disc to upgrade it to a z2 and that cd is being suggested at $250

you might as well wait.

I haven't had a chance to see what needs to be trimmed off the bezel for the D3 to fit, but chances are, a Dremel will work well with some sandpaper to finish the edges. Rough sketch how much you need to trim off with a marker and go from there. and REMEMBER, Don't trim too much off! Go slowly!

I should have my hands on a D3 within 2-3 weeks and i'll get to see first hand how much of a pain it will be!

D3 Installed!

Finally got the AVIC-D3 Installed with the Ipod adapter. I am extremely impressed with this thing! Both the NAV and the IPod integration work flawlessly.
Installation in my 99 was pretty simple. I used the metra double din kit for explorers (99-5805). I had to dremel off the lip on the top and bottom of the radio bezel, and after that, the unit clicked right into place. If anyone needs any wiring help, PM and I can help out. Its also bypassed.

Pics below

Here's a pic of the cardboard security device that will keep prying eyes away.:eek: (With tinted windows, all you see is black...no color contrast like in the pic)

Do the new units still allow the bypass? I read somewhere that Pioneer made a software or hardware change that defeats the move the one wire + ground bypass. (This is one of the reasons I am holding back on this and/or the Z2--if I can't bypass it, I don't want it.)

Do the new units still allow the bypass? I read somewhere that Pioneer made a software or hardware change that defeats the move the one wire + ground bypass. (This is one of the reasons I am holding back on this and/or the Z2--if I can't bypass it, I don't want it.)

The D3 is fully able to be bypassed. Move the mute wire on the harness up 1 pin, ground that wire along with the parking break wire and you're set. I'm not sure about the z2, you might want to check www.avic411.com

My Z-1 is bypassed. Just a little device you have to install. It is made for the Alpine bypass and a local car audio shop put it in for me and it works great.

dozier- what?

i haven't done this one in an explorer yet, but i've installed 5 in the last 6 weekends and am very pleased with it.

looks great in that one dash pic up there- good job.

-drew

quick question?? I want to upgrade the tires of my X from 235/70/16 to 265/75/16 in one of the forums in here says that it will cause an inaccuracy on my speedometer, so.... since the GPS is connected to the speedometer, would that cause an inaccuracy on my GPS???

quick question?? I want to upgrade the tires of my X from 235/70/16 to 265/75/16 in one of the forums in here says that it will cause an inaccuracy on my speedometer, so.... since the GPS is connected to the speedometer, would that cause an inaccuracy on my GPS???

no

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My D3 goes in my 04 explorer tommorow.

lookin forward to doing a product reveiw and posting pics :D

Back